All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
SEVERELY BLOATED UPPER ABS WITH PAIN
      #327497 - 03/30/08 07:12 PM
soulful

Reged: 03/30/08
Loc: Southgate, USA

Hi! My name is soulful and I just joined. So happy to find this forum.
Tonight I am so severely distended in the upper abdominal area that I just want to scream. It is painful! I was diagnosed with IBS 2 months ago. But none of the Dr.s can help me with this constant distended tummy! I am just so miserable. I work out 4-5 times per week...no weight loss, although I am just a tad over weight, but even working out does not seem to be helping this severe bloating. I am thinking seriously of going to the ER just to see if they can suggest anything. I am at the end of my rope....any help out there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SEVERELY BLOATED UPPER ABS WITH PAIN new
      #327498 - 03/30/08 07:31 PM
binok

Reged: 03/22/08
Loc: CT

Soulful,
I thought I was the only one with thse same Symptoms!! I feel like I'm going crazy! Bloated in upper stomach all the time! Painful and gassy!! Slighltly above normal weight! Exercise daily!! Nothing works. Lifetimer on Weight Watchers and want to lose a few more LBS but, can't! Too bloated!! Help!!!! Maybe someone will hear us!!

#327499 - 03/30/08 07:41 PM
soulful

BINOK! Finally someone hears me! I look 6 months preggo all the time!!!! 6 months ago I was at a normal weight for my height, working out feeling great....then WHAM! My upper ab is rock hard and sooooooooo distended....is yours? I hate this!!!! None of my clothes fit me and I am in constant pain. Can anyone hear Binok and me???????????????????????????? I just realized I said 6 months ago I was okay...NO I can not be preggo...I am too old and went through early menopause at 36 years....no surgery...just one day...no more periods.

#327501 - 03/30/08 07:52 PM
soulful

Binok! I tried to add you to my address book and cannot, also tried to PM you...same result. Guess I have to wait to be approved?????

#327520 - 03/31/08 09:20 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Were you also tested for upper GI problems (endoscopy) for reflux, hiatal hernia, gastritis or ulcers, or for gallbladder disease or stones. An ultrasound can detect gall stones and I think there is some other test to determine gallbladder functioning. Big belly bloating is the pits. Not only does it hurt, but you look like hell while it's killing ya. At least at my age no one asks when I'm due!

#327533 - 03/31/08 10:14 AM
soulful

Hi Susie! Thanks for responding. I had my Gallbladder removed about 5 years ago. I just had an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. I was treated for H Pylori, taking 16 pills a day. The Docs all say IBS and nothing they can do....think I will ask for all my money back I paid them. I just turned 59 so believe me no one actually would ask me if I was expecting! I have been up all night with a severely bloated hard as a rock upper abdomen w/pain. I feel awful today. Yes, I do have GERDS.

#327572 - 03/31/08 03:45 PM
IslandBride5

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: Eugene, Oregon

It is so nice to hear those who have the same issues. I cannot seem to get rid of the upper and lower bloating with pain and discomfort that comes and goes.........I drink Fennel tea, swallow altoids.......help!

--------------------
Meet my sweet dog Marley!

#327581 - 03/31/08 06:26 PM
binok

Hi!

You probably need to wait to be approved. You can email me if you like. Let me know and I will give you my email adress. My stomach really hurts tonight!! Don't know which is worse. Bowel or gerd! I am 68 yrs. old so no one asks when I'm due Either!! I'm kinda new here too. Whats PM?

#327582 - 03/31/08 06:48 PM
binok

Soulful,

Found out what PM means. Tried to PM you too but couldn't do it either. I had an full hysterectomy at age 37. I had Endometriosis real bad. Ate all the wrong foods today and now paying the price!! I like to drink Fennel tea. It helps the gas a little. I guess I better get back to brass tacks and stay on my diet for IBS!!

#327583 - 03/31/08 06:51 PM
binok

Hi!

Nice to have you join us!! At least were not alone!! I drink Fennel tea too! Does the Altoids really help?

#327590 - 04/01/08 12:38 AM
Susie2

My GI pains and bloat extends from under my boobs to my bottom and all places inbetween. All the upper gi stuff (GERD, hiatal hernia, gastritis occurred after the gallbladder was removed). I've been on acid blockers for about 5 years. First prevacid and now protonex. I think it is time for a switch as it is not working that well. My GI said you usually have to switch every few years. But it is the pits when you can't sleep because you have to sit up with the pain. At least when it is the lower gi tract you can lie down with a heating pad.

I think it would be great if we only paid doctors who actually helped us. I think they used to do that in China or some place. Don't ya just love it when they say, "sorry, but I can't help you"? What were you taking for H. pylori and what did you have?

I'm trying to get up the nerve to get pregger pants. Everything hurts when I blow up. And I guess it would be inappropriate to go out in my nighties. No bra, no panties, just my long tee shirt type nighty. The most comfortable thing in my wardrobe. Even though it covers everything up, I'd probably still get arrested for indecent exposure. I'm 65.

#327591 - 04/01/08 12:51 AM
Susie2

Hi Binok,

So nice to hear of another older painful big belly beauty. I think we should just bite the bullet and get preggo pants and those tight tee shirts that emphasize the belly and say we are medical miracles.

I've decided that the pain that is worse is the pain you are currently having. Bad night for me tonight. My own fault though - ate a couple pieces of gooey frosted chocolate cake. But sometimes it doesn't matter if I am good as good can be, the pain and dysfunction doesn't let up.

#327647 - 04/01/08 07:27 PM
binok

susie,

tried to reply this am but, my computer is going bonkers. can't use my uppercase keys and the computer does what it wants and not what i want so; if you loose me or my computer quits and you don't hear from me you will know why. i love your replies. you are so right about doctors. i'm on nexium twice aday.doesn't help much. been on it for years. when i'm home i'm in my nighty. can't stand clothes. too uncomfortable. if i could go out in my nighty, i would be so happy. i've had three imbilical hernia surgeries so far. no belly button left. so afraid to eat. never know when a certain food will cause me gas or not. by the way my name is really lucy. tried to use it but it wouldn't work so i used my hubbies middle name. had coconut sorbet last night. big mistake. thought i would die with the pain.

#327651 - 04/01/08 10:59 PM
Susan S

Reged: 03/27/08

Oh thank God somebody knows what those crazy pains feel like. When I had my first bad one my husband took me to the ER, they put me thru heart test. It took a year and us going 3 hours away to find out it is IBS-C. I do find that I only get the bad pains when I am constipated for a few days. I spent 2 days at the hospital this week (they could not get me to go, enemas, "bomb cocktails, nothing helped, and finally after following the guidlines here I was able to get relief.
Bloating, I am 33 and always look pregnant! Do altoids help?

--------------------
A strong fish swims against the current.

#327660 - 04/02/08 06:26 AM
Susie2

Hi Lucy,
Good to hear from you. My computer goes offline often. It is frustrating. I'm on a network with my husband's computer. Our DSL connection is paid for by his company. I am thinking of getting my own server. I also blow out computers before their lifespan. If I get the extended warranty, they suffer a major coronary of something right after it expires. My DH fashions himself a computer whiz - he does work in Information Technology, but he is more on the info side than the tech side. Me, I am a ludite. All electronic devices go beserk with me. I can only use a cell phone for 5 minutes before it gets blazing hot. Tape players break. CDs aren't quite so bad although I had to have my car one rebooted when the battery went dead as the reboot code didn't work. Good thing I have a good relationship with the assistant service manager (he should be the manager) as he did it for free - usually costs $100.

I am beginning to think this upper gastric pain is something else. There was a post about some cartilage problem recently. I'll try to find it. I took two protonex and a bunch of tums yesterday with no relief. Also wondering if other meds could be causing some of my problems. I could open my own pharmacy.

#327691 - 04/02/08 04:54 PM
IslandBride5

Yes! I am on day 2 of the IBS Diet (french bread, soy, light chicken and veggies, etc.) and am suddenly starving with a headache. I take a peppermint oil capsule 1 hr before a meal (lunch and dinner), acacia powder 2x a day and drink tea (pepp., fennel) also. Eating this way is really hard but I am starting to feel human again and only after day 2! I am truly hoping to find peace with my stomach and eating habits! Like both of you I have been to the ER, GI docs a few times, etc. only to find out it was something that no one knew much about until I found this website and books! Please keep me in your email as I need friends who understand truly what we go through. Hang in there ladies and share, share, share!!!

--------------------

#327726 - 04/03/08 12:42 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

I remember when i was 15 telling my doc i had pain just below my breastbone where the ribs meet and asked what physical part of the body was there - His reply - "not much." Now i know I'm not the only one with the upper bloat! I can't beleive all these years i was led to think i was making up my upper pain!

#327729 - 04/03/08 02:08 PM
IslandBride5

It is amazing, isn't it? I have gone to many docs who told me that I have IBS and to eat 25-35 gm of fiber a day. I did and boy was I in pain! They really had no clue the true form of how it should be eaten! I am on day 3 of strict solulable foods and feel pretty good. I have IBS-C and have not noticed a difference there yet but I am only on day 3. How long have you (all of you) been using Heather's products?

--------------------

#327745 - 04/03/08 07:32 PM
binok

How do you know what foods to start with on this ibs diet and how much and for how long? I don't know how to proceed with this diet! Can you give me some Idea? I'm IBS-A. I can't eat alot of fiber either.

#327785 - 04/04/08 11:26 AM
IslandBride5

You should read Heather's book (First Year) and this will tell you to start out eating only solulable foods for a few days to stabilize your GI and then slowly include more insolulable veggies and over time you will know how your body reacts to certain foods or quantities and you can keep it stabilized from there. I am on day 4 of solulable foods. I am doing okay but was a coffee drinker and so in place of that I drink 1 cup of Chai Tea (which has half the caffeine) and that has worked okay. I am also taking peppermint capsules twice a day and including Heather's acacia powder twice a day (1 tsp each). I drink fennel and peppermint tea. My GI and stomach feel pretty good at this point but I am IBS-C and that hasn't improved yet but at least I am not bloated! Read the book - that is were I learned every thing so far and continue to read the community boards - they are so helpful! It is so nice to know there will be a better life for me and my stomach and also to have other people to chat with about it!

--------------------

#327814 - 04/04/08 06:57 PM
binok

Islandbride5,

What is the name of her book (first year)? I am also a coffee drinker (half regular and half decaf). Can I have Decaf? I can't have peppermint tea or any kind of peppermint because of GERD. Kills my stomach! I bought Acacia powder at Health store and I think it made me gassy. I do drink fennel tea and ginger tea. I will get the book. Feel so bad tonight!! Crampy, SO GASSY!!!!

#327828 - 04/05/08 04:05 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Have you browsed through this whole website? Look on the left hand side. It has a link for IBS Books and for supplements. Also, go to the home page. It will get you started and show you where to go/how to start the IBS diet. The living room is mostly for non-IBS stuff. Have you tried posting on the Eating for IBS board? That's where much more IBS stuff is discussed and you would probably find a lot more information/support.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#327855 - 04/05/08 05:58 PM
IslandBride5

Hi Binok,

So sorry you cannot have peppermint tea -that helps so much. Heather's first book is all about IBS and how to truly survive. I can't remember the name exactly but if you google her, you will find it.
I am on day 6 of mostly solulable fiber only and feel really good. I have slowly increased the acacia powder and have been severely gassy myself but I assume it is because of the newness and it will make me gassy for awhile until my body adjusts to this type of fiber.
I have known for a long time that I had IBS but every doc I went to told me to eat more fiber and when I did - ohhh my! I hurt worse because I was eating green veggies, fiber supplements, etc. After discovering Heather's books and website I have learned so much. As I said, I am on Day 6 and am just amazed at this lifestyle change I am having to make to feel normal and not bloated all the time with discomfort and often massive ripples of pain.
I am really excited about this message board because even though I have a supportive family I still feel alone in the world of what to eat when or how much or how fast or...or....I am sure you feel the same!
Hang in there and keep your chin up and keep coming here - we are your new friends and you are mine!

--------------------

#327859 - 04/05/08 07:20 PM
binok

Islandbride,

Thank you so much! I found the book and ordered it. I should get it next week! Can't wait to get started. You know exactly how I feel!! I too, was eating high fiber foods thinking thats what I needed!! NO WAY!! Every time I pas gas my hubby says "what did you eat wrong this time!" Which is about every two minutes!! I've been on Weight Watchers and am a lifetimer now. Of course I was eating splenda alot!! Don't want to gain all that weight back! Also realize I can't eat diet foods anymore because it makes me more gassy and in pain! So, I have no choice but to change my diet to the IBS diet.

When you started the IBS diet, did you pick one soluble food and eat just that all day for a week? I'm so glad I found this site! This IBS is killing me!! Its great to have friends like you to talk too!!! Thank you so much!

#327915 - 04/07/08 11:34 AM
IslandBride5

Binok

I am glad you ordered the book! I ate solulable all weekend too but added in a glass of red wine or two. That went okay. Wine never disagreed with me to begin, it actually always seemed to soothe the discomfort.
Anyway, I bougth frend and sour dough bread. I ate a piece of that for bkfst with fruit. Then for lunch I made a sour dough turkey sandwich with lettuce, veganase, mustard and goat cheese on it (goat cheese doesn't bother me). Yummy! I also ate that along with a bowl of two different types of fruit. That was lunch. Then around 4pm I would have a couple rice crackers with tofutti cream cheese (amazing flavor) or a piece of french bread. 1 hour before lunch and dinner I took a peppermint oil capsule. And for dinner I made grilled chicken breast with past or grilled chicken breast with french bread and a salad (which I ate last) or veggies burger on french bread with asparagus and a salad. I felt really good last week and all weekend. I am even having BM's. I do also take acacia powder twice a day too. I am up to 2 tsp a day.
I miss coffee though. I have been drinking soy chai (I couldn't quit caffeine cold turkey) and that is good but it is not coffee. I am on day 7 of no coffee and I can definitely feel it today! I seem a little grouchie!!!
I am at a stale mate today as well because I am still trying to put all the do's and don't together in my head and at times coming up with dinner menu ideas is really a challenge for me!!
How are you doing?

--------------------

#327943 - 04/07/08 07:00 PM
binok

Islandbride,

So glad to hear from you! Been watching what I eat today. Trying to stay on the IBS diet at least as far as what Iv'e read and bits and peices of info I've gotten. Can't beleive how fast I got the book! I got it today!

What is Venase? I still benn drinking coffee. Half decaf and half regular. I seem to be able to tolarate 1 cup (large cup) in the morning but I guess I'll have to give it up! Thats going to kill me!! Love my coffee!!!! I'll buy some of the Chai.

Have you had any problem with weight gain on this diet? I also found the Acacia gave me gas.

On top of everything else I strongly beleive my 44 year old retarded son has IBS. He's worse then I am!! Everything he eats goes right thru him! I've started him slowly on the IBS diet today. I have to go slow with him because he can't understand the why's and wherefore's of things sometimes.

You gave me some great Ideas of what to eat!! Thank you so much!! I'm off to start reading the book! Thanks again and I will talk to you again soon!

#327944 - 04/07/08 07:02 PM
binok

Islandbride,

Sorry, I meant what is veganase.

#327999 - 04/08/08 04:28 PM
IslandBride5

Hi Binok (and all others )
I am glad you got the book - probably have it read by now. I had a small cup of coffee this morning with soy milk and sugar....seemed to feel okay but not great. I also went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today and had a bento box (rice, salad, 2 tempura, 2 sushi, spicy chicken). I love it but have been uncomfortable all day - of course.
I have not gained weight (had already gained 7 pounds) but seem to be staying at that weight. It has only been one week though so I know that I need to remain focused on what I am eating and then work on the scale in a week or two. I think I am going to start doing pilates as well - exercise is supposed to help (yuck!!).
I have also lessened the gas situation (wink, wink lol) and still am taking acacia. I have not upped the dose any, I know I should take it slow. So hang in there!
Veganase is a mayo made from vegetables instead of yucky fat. It is healthier for you and better on the stomach. I have only used a small amout and been fine so start with a small amount.
It is really nice to talk to you! I am trying to reach out there on this board so that I can learn from other people and also have a support system! This change of eating is really challenging for me!

How do you like the book?

--------------------

#328004 - 04/08/08 06:48 PM
binok

Islandbride,

I love the book! So much to learn and try to remember! I'm working on it! Coffee doesn't seem to bother me too much as long as I keep it to one cup in the morning. I've managed to maintaine (not counting the 3 lb. increase since I've been so bloated lately) but, need to lose another 10 lbs. to get to my goal weight. I've been doing Leslie Sansones Power Walks for over a year (2 to 5 mile Power Walks) every day and last week I started doing Strenght training (lifting weights (3 lbs.) every other day. Not bad for a 68 year old lady! Haven't lost anything yet but, they say muscle weighs more then fat and the results will show up eventualy. We shall see!! I'll have to look for the Veganase in the Health Store.

By the way if anyone else on this forum would like to join this conversation, please do so!! The more the merrier!! Its great to share tips, Ideas and encouragement!

Well, off to read more of my book! Lots to learn!!

#328023 - 04/09/08 12:01 PM
IslandBride5

Hi all,

I have 10 lbs to loose too! Let's get there together, shall we? I am going to start a new post called "Suffering Together" - go there!!!

--------------------

I have this problem too and I've found something that seems to help! new
      #329542 - 05/08/08 11:43 AM
MadelineNY

Reged: 05/02/08

Hi Everyone,

I want to say I am glad to hear I'm not the only one with this horrendous issue, but then again I'm sorry that you are all suffering too. It is just awful, isn't it? It has gotten worse and worse for me -- from once or twice a month to DAILY -- and it is the main reason I've been diagnosed by my GI (further tests pending) with IBS.

I have been reading and researching like crazy, and I do believe I've found something that helps! It has cut my bloating (that painful feeling like a balloon is expanding inside you and there's nothing you can do about it) by 60 - 80 percent over the last few days.

What I've been doing is CHEWING. Really, really carefully. I mean, until the food is completely liquified and you can't find any more chewable bits with your tongue. They say digestion begins in the mouth, and your saliva has digestive enzymes. Maybe this makes it easier for your guts to break down the food.

This got me interested in enzymes, and I thought perhaps my body is not producing enough digestive enzymes. So, I looked into different enzymes, and purchased some. People on this site recommended Udo's brand of probiotics, so I decided to try his "Advanced Adult Enzyme Blend." I think this is a pretty good product, as it has a good diversity of enzymes, and included Alpha-galactosidase, which is indicated for gas (it's the ingredient in Beano). Different enzymes break down different foods, such as protease for protein, and lipease for fats. If you know what is difficult for you to digest, you could go for a specific enzyme, but I'm not sure, so I went for a multi-formula. It also appears to have helped, but chewing was the major breakthrough.

I still seem to get stomach aches, so it isn't a cure-all. I also still need to work on fighting the urge to lie down after meals (apparently this makes it hard for your body to digest). But my "phantom pregnancy" has definitely calmed down!

Good luck, and I hope you'll let me know if this helps at all!

Madeline

Re: I have this problem too and I've found something that seems to help! new
      #329543 - 05/08/08 12:14 PM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

I read somewhere to "drink what you eat" meaning to chew it until it is liquid. I try to do this & I think it does help. Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16747

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review