Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: SEVERELY BLOATED UPPER ABS WITH PAIN new
      #327814 - 04/04/08 06:57 PM
binok

Reged: 03/22/08
Loc: CT

Islandbride5,

What is the name of her book (first year)? I am also a coffee drinker (half regular and half decaf). Can I have Decaf? I can't have peppermint tea or any kind of peppermint because of GERD. Kills my stomach! I bought Acacia powder at Health store and I think it made me gassy. I do drink fennel tea and ginger tea. I will get the book. Feel so bad tonight!! Crampy, SO GASSY!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#327828 - 04/05/08 04:05 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Have you browsed through this whole website? Look on the left hand side. It has a link for IBS Books and for supplements. Also, go to the home page. It will get you started and show you where to go/how to start the IBS diet. The living room is mostly for non-IBS stuff. Have you tried posting on the Eating for IBS board? That's where much more IBS stuff is discussed and you would probably find a lot more information/support.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#327855 - 04/05/08 05:58 PM
IslandBride5

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Hi Binok,

So sorry you cannot have peppermint tea -that helps so much. Heather's first book is all about IBS and how to truly survive. I can't remember the name exactly but if you google her, you will find it.
I am on day 6 of mostly solulable fiber only and feel really good. I have slowly increased the acacia powder and have been severely gassy myself but I assume it is because of the newness and it will make me gassy for awhile until my body adjusts to this type of fiber.
I have known for a long time that I had IBS but every doc I went to told me to eat more fiber and when I did - ohhh my! I hurt worse because I was eating green veggies, fiber supplements, etc. After discovering Heather's books and website I have learned so much. As I said, I am on Day 6 and am just amazed at this lifestyle change I am having to make to feel normal and not bloated all the time with discomfort and often massive ripples of pain.
I am really excited about this message board because even though I have a supportive family I still feel alone in the world of what to eat when or how much or how fast or...or....I am sure you feel the same!
Hang in there and keep your chin up and keep coming here - we are your new friends and you are mine!

--------------------
Meet my sweet dog Marley!

#327859 - 04/05/08 07:20 PM
binok

Islandbride,

Thank you so much! I found the book and ordered it. I should get it next week! Can't wait to get started. You know exactly how I feel!! I too, was eating high fiber foods thinking thats what I needed!! NO WAY!! Every time I pas gas my hubby says "what did you eat wrong this time!" Which is about every two minutes!! I've been on Weight Watchers and am a lifetimer now. Of course I was eating splenda alot!! Don't want to gain all that weight back! Also realize I can't eat diet foods anymore because it makes me more gassy and in pain! So, I have no choice but to change my diet to the IBS diet.

When you started the IBS diet, did you pick one soluble food and eat just that all day for a week? I'm so glad I found this site! This IBS is killing me!! Its great to have friends like you to talk too!!! Thank you so much!

#327915 - 04/07/08 11:34 AM
IslandBride5

Binok

I am glad you ordered the book! I ate solulable all weekend too but added in a glass of red wine or two. That went okay. Wine never disagreed with me to begin, it actually always seemed to soothe the discomfort.
Anyway, I bougth frend and sour dough bread. I ate a piece of that for bkfst with fruit. Then for lunch I made a sour dough turkey sandwich with lettuce, veganase, mustard and goat cheese on it (goat cheese doesn't bother me). Yummy! I also ate that along with a bowl of two different types of fruit. That was lunch. Then around 4pm I would have a couple rice crackers with tofutti cream cheese (amazing flavor) or a piece of french bread. 1 hour before lunch and dinner I took a peppermint oil capsule. And for dinner I made grilled chicken breast with past or grilled chicken breast with french bread and a salad (which I ate last) or veggies burger on french bread with asparagus and a salad. I felt really good last week and all weekend. I am even having BM's. I do also take acacia powder twice a day too. I am up to 2 tsp a day.
I miss coffee though. I have been drinking soy chai (I couldn't quit caffeine cold turkey) and that is good but it is not coffee. I am on day 7 of no coffee and I can definitely feel it today! I seem a little grouchie!!!
I am at a stale mate today as well because I am still trying to put all the do's and don't together in my head and at times coming up with dinner menu ideas is really a challenge for me!!
How are you doing?

--------------------

#327943 - 04/07/08 07:00 PM
binok

Islandbride,

So glad to hear from you! Been watching what I eat today. Trying to stay on the IBS diet at least as far as what Iv'e read and bits and peices of info I've gotten. Can't beleive how fast I got the book! I got it today!

What is Venase? I still benn drinking coffee. Half decaf and half regular. I seem to be able to tolarate 1 cup (large cup) in the morning but I guess I'll have to give it up! Thats going to kill me!! Love my coffee!!!! I'll buy some of the Chai.

Have you had any problem with weight gain on this diet? I also found the Acacia gave me gas.

On top of everything else I strongly beleive my 44 year old retarded son has IBS. He's worse then I am!! Everything he eats goes right thru him! I've started him slowly on the IBS diet today. I have to go slow with him because he can't understand the why's and wherefore's of things sometimes.

You gave me some great Ideas of what to eat!! Thank you so much!! I'm off to start reading the book! Thanks again and I will talk to you again soon!

#327944 - 04/07/08 07:02 PM
binok

Islandbride,

Sorry, I meant what is veganase.

#327999 - 04/08/08 04:28 PM
IslandBride5

Hi Binok (and all others )
I am glad you got the book - probably have it read by now. I had a small cup of coffee this morning with soy milk and sugar....seemed to feel okay but not great. I also went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today and had a bento box (rice, salad, 2 tempura, 2 sushi, spicy chicken). I love it but have been uncomfortable all day - of course.
I have not gained weight (had already gained 7 pounds) but seem to be staying at that weight. It has only been one week though so I know that I need to remain focused on what I am eating and then work on the scale in a week or two. I think I am going to start doing pilates as well - exercise is supposed to help (yuck!!).
I have also lessened the gas situation (wink, wink lol) and still am taking acacia. I have not upped the dose any, I know I should take it slow. So hang in there!
Veganase is a mayo made from vegetables instead of yucky fat. It is healthier for you and better on the stomach. I have only used a small amout and been fine so start with a small amount.
It is really nice to talk to you! I am trying to reach out there on this board so that I can learn from other people and also have a support system! This change of eating is really challenging for me!

How do you like the book?

--------------------

#328004 - 04/08/08 06:48 PM
binok

Islandbride,

I love the book! So much to learn and try to remember! I'm working on it! Coffee doesn't seem to bother me too much as long as I keep it to one cup in the morning. I've managed to maintaine (not counting the 3 lb. increase since I've been so bloated lately) but, need to lose another 10 lbs. to get to my goal weight. I've been doing Leslie Sansones Power Walks for over a year (2 to 5 mile Power Walks) every day and last week I started doing Strenght training (lifting weights (3 lbs.) every other day. Not bad for a 68 year old lady! Haven't lost anything yet but, they say muscle weighs more then fat and the results will show up eventualy. We shall see!! I'll have to look for the Veganase in the Health Store.

By the way if anyone else on this forum would like to join this conversation, please do so!! The more the merrier!! Its great to share tips, Ideas and encouragement!

Well, off to read more of my book! Lots to learn!!

#328023 - 04/09/08 12:01 PM
IslandBride5

Hi all,

I have 10 lbs to loose too! Let's get there together, shall we? I am going to start a new post called "Suffering Together" - go there!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review