All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Feeling Brave
      #327338 - 03/27/08 03:47 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Right now I'm feeling brave. Don't know how I'll feel come Saturday morning! My cousin passed away on Monday in a little town 3.5 hours away. And I just decided I will drive up there, myself, all alone, on Saturday morning to attend the funeral at noon. My mum and grandparents, and two of the my other cousins are all going together tomorrow at 3 but I'm still going to be at work. So I had options, miss the funeral and feel like a complete heal for not going, or suck it up and drive there myself. I don't have very much experience driving on the highway (we only have 2 lane highways around here, no freeways like in bigger centers). Last weekend I actually drove from here to Rush City MN and I was very pleased with myself - that's over 450 km. Granted the DH was with me and we stopped whenever I wanted to, but it was still the longest I've ever driven. Saturday's gonna have to be a pretty much straight-through. Stop to pee in Ignace (if the sole gas bar is open) and keep on trucking. Now that I made the commitment to my mum and grandma I'm nervous. Grrrr.... Curse my dad for not letting me drive on the highway as a teen!! I just never have until now - 15 years later!

Wish me luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feeling Brave new
      #327353 - 03/27/08 08:28 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

You can do it Cassandra! Actually, except for merging onto the highway, I find it much easier than driving on local roads. You probably will too once you get used to it.
Good luck.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#327355 - 03/27/08 08:33 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

At the tender age of 15, with driver's permit in hand, I embarked on a family vacation to a beach south of Los Angeles. My dad made me drive the whole way...that is, through LA on the major highways. I had driven on the highways in my little home town, so it was a super scary daunting experience. But, it served its purpose and Dad was right in that you don't learn it til you try. I learned how to do it safely, even if I wasn't zooming along at 90 mph like every one else.

Point is, it's probably going to scare the crap out of you (no pun intended) but you're going to be fine as long as you watch your mirrors, don't get flustered or do anything you don't want to do. If I could do it at 15 in LA, I'm sure you'll be fine

#327380 - 03/28/08 08:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I am sorry to hear about your cousin.

Good luck with this trip. I didn't learn to drive on freeways until I was in my early 20s and I was terrified the first time I tried it but I have to agree with Hawkeye - except for merging it's not bad.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#327381 - 03/28/08 08:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm not a huge fan of highway driving either. If I have to venture off the little stretch between work and home, I get very nervous. Grab a relaxing cd and take a few deep breaths, you can do it!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I'm Back!! new
      #327493 - 03/30/08 04:05 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

And I made it without any problems!!

I made really good time yesterday getting into Dryden and found the church and my mum without any trouble. The funeral was very nice, very sad and VERY packed. I think 1/2 the town came out. And because my cousin was a highly regarded police officer until he retired, plus a member of the legion and in a band, there were tons of tributes, flowers and prayers from all over the area. And the entire town (8,000) had their flags at half-mast and people literally lined the streets, leaving their cars and their businesses and homes as the funeral procession passed. It was breathtaking to see such support from not just the people at the funeral but from the entire town. Dear Ted wouldn't have wanted everyone to fuss over him like that, but he deserved it.

I had opportunity to catch up with many of my other cousins and great aunts which was sooooo nice. It's been too many years since I saw most of them. I missed the last big family reunion because of work.

So mum and I drove back home this afternoon, stopping at my cousin's wife to say goodbye to her and her family, and then at two great aunts places along the way. It was a very good weekend; very sad but very good.

And my tum behaved even though we didn't eat dinner until 9:30 last night. And I skipped eating lunch on the road on the way home because there was only toast on the menu which I could have. I didn't feel like toast for the 2nd time today.

Thanks for all your well wishes and support - and now that I've driven once by myself I know I can do it again!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: I'm Back!! new
      #327519 - 03/31/08 09:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Congrats on going it alone. It sounds like a lovely tribute to your uncle.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: I'm Back!! new
      #327589 - 03/31/08 09:40 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Yay! I actually wondered about you today while I was driving on the highway Glad your trip went well, albeit a sad occasion. It sounds like it was a very heart warming experience in spite of it all. He must have been a very special man to receive all that love!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2112

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review