All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
To those with gallbladder problems or have had it removed
      #327174 - 03/25/08 03:21 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey everyone, this question is for my husband. He gets these pains on his right side. He went to the emergency room a few years ago because of it and they did test after test and just told him to lose weight and to stop eating gassy and fried foods. So he did that, but then he would still randomly have attacks. For example he had a very healthy salad for dinner, and boom hes buckled over in pain on his right side. It hurts him so bad at times that he throws up from it. I wont go into details but its bad. Now today he said his right side hurt again. For lunch he had a ham sandwich and an apple. Thats all he eats for lunch cause hes on a diet. But he said he started to feel something before lunch and then after it got worse. Now a ham sandwich and an apple I wouldnt think would bother him! But this weekend due to Easter he ate sausage, peppers, lots of ham, brocolli and cheese--bad things! He also gets GERD-acid reflux so this weekend before he ate the sausage he took Prevacid and seemed fine. My husband also drinks lots of pop. Hes cut back, but he still drinks quite a bit ot it.

So I guess after all my rambling... to anyone with gallbladder problems, does this sound like a gallbladder issue? He said the pain is in his right side. Sometimes he will take Gas-X before the pain gets too severe and it will help him, but once the pain gets real bad nothing will help. Thanks in advance for your help!! I just wish I could do something for him.

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To those with gallbladder problems or have had it removed new
      #327213 - 03/26/08 09:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hmm, I might suggest he try taking a ppi like the previcid on a regular basis for a few weeks and see if it gets better first. And, cut down on the carbonation.

I had mine removed in 1999. My attacks were dead center, in that soft spot under your breast bone, like where your bra is. They would double me over, make me throw up and they kept telling me panic attacks. I had had panic attacks before and really didn't think that was it. Than one night I woke up at like 2am and honestly thought I was having a heart attack. I feel out of bed and hubby had to carry me to the car. An ultrasound sound showed my gallbladder was overstuffed was stones and a big one was stuck in the duct.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#327216 - 03/26/08 10:08 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Did anyone who have their Gallbladder removed experience the "dumping" syndrome of D afterwards?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#327222 - 03/26/08 10:20 AM
steph17

Reged: 03/26/08
Loc: Massachusetts

Sounds like your hubbie is having gall bladder attacks and trust me, they are horrible. I was having attacks for months (9 to be exact) and was told everything from heartburn to anxiety. On the final test, something called a Hidascan, it showed my gall bladder was only funtioning at 20%. I would eat, be sick and miserable for days. So, finally had the gall bladder removed and am still having painful issues with my GI tract. I have had almost test know - upper GIs to colonoscopy - only to be told all negative. I have lost weight, feel miserable and have days where I can't get to work due to pain/being sick. I would have him check with a GI doctor for gall bladder issues. Hope this helps.

#327224 - 03/26/08 10:25 AM
steph17

Reged: 03/26/08
Loc: Massachusetts

Michele ~
I had similar pain in the center of the chest before finally being diagnosed with gall bladder, but since the removal, I am actually worse off. My GI doctor is still running tests (not sure what is left that I haven't had) and really does not want to chalk it up to IBS, but the symptoms are they. I was originally diagnosed with IBS about 15 years ago when doctors couldn't figure out why I was sick. Then it almost went away. I carefully watched diet and seemed to be fine. But since the gall bladder surgery, I am VERY sensitive to most foods and usually have broth all day just to keep from being hungry. I recently bought Heathers book and started the recipes. My stomach seesm to settle, but still getting sick. Question, with your IBS, do you or did you ever get chest/shoulder pain - something called Costochondritis? This is like a muscle strain (and pretty much goes undiagnosed) and can get extremely painful when I have an IBS attack. Been to the ER for the pain, like having a heart attack, and when they rule out any kind of heart condition, I am sent on my way. I have recently talked to a few people who do get the upper chest pain and wondering if anyone else does?
steph17

Re:To Jordy new
      #327229 - 03/26/08 11:00 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hey, I had my gallbladder out in Oct 05. For the first few months after the surgery, any fat whatsoever gave me that 'dumping syndrome'. It was horrible! Because I have IBS on top of it, the cramping and D made me feel horrible. Once I made sure I was eating INCREDIBLY low fat (no cheating) I was fine. I have never really tested this over the past few years, but I suspect if I had more fat in my diet, I would continue to have the dumping. Sometimes I feel like my food just sits in my stomach and then moves super fast through my system.
But the benefits of getting my horrid gallbladder out are worth eating nice and healthy!

--------------------
IBS-A

#327230 - 03/26/08 11:03 AM
Aly

HI! Yes, I had gallbladder attacks as well. The only sure fire way to know is to have a HIDA scan. That will show how good your gallbladder is working...mine was only working 6%. not too good! Or, if it is gallstones, those are viewable on an ultrasound.
But honestly, as good as it was for me to get it out, it's not an easy surgery, nor an easy life/diet to adjust to. I would see if a ppi (like prilosec) could help. Like Michelle said, I would give that all a try and then see a doc. Poor hubby!!!
Hope he feels better! But, yes, anytime I ate anything even a bit higher in fat than normal, I would feel miserable with pain and nausea... so it could be the gallbladder reacting to the weekend's food?! who knows!

--------------------
IBS-A

#327239 - 03/26/08 11:50 AM
Jordy

Quote:

nor an easy life/diet to adjust to.

What does it involve besides eating low fat?

Can you eat any salmon or peanut butter at all?

and what does a gallbladder attack feel like?

--------------------

#327253 - 03/26/08 01:59 PM
Aly

I can have some fat, but i really limit it. If I eat PB, I probably don't each more than a teaspoon or so at a time. The only bad experience I had was when I ate a pretzel at the mall 3 weeks after my surgery and was in more pain than i ever imagined. not fun.
I do eat salmon as well...but in small amounts. I find if I eat more fat than Im expecting, it works well to just spread it our during the day.
for me, my gallbladder attacks involved pain on my right side and vomiting, but everyone is different. Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-A

#327264 - 03/26/08 02:43 PM
Jordy

Do you have any other dietary or life style changes you need to make. You remind me so much like me with your positive gluten antibodies and your malfunctioning or non-functioning gallbladder!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review