All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ACACIA FIBER
      #327091 - 03/23/08 07:02 PM
prissy

Reged: 01/08/08
Loc: n.c

Has anyone used acacia and it seemed as if you were more C.. I have been useing it for a week now and it seems like i'm really more consitipatied than normal. I have been taking 2 teaspoons aday. I'm ibs d and c..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ACACIA FIBER new
      #327092 - 03/23/08 07:59 PM
binok

Reged: 03/22/08
Loc: CT

I have IBS. Can you tell me what B and C is? I've also seen the reference t a IBS-A.

#327093 - 03/23/08 08:20 PM
prissy

Reged: 01/08/08
Loc: n.c

maybe i should have said ibs A however i don't think i said ibs b and c i said d and c .

Re: to binok new
      #327096 - 03/24/08 03:37 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

To Binok,

The abbreviations are used to show your predominant IBS symptom. IBS A means Alternating between constipation and diahrrea, IBS c is constipation and IBS d is diahrrea. Check out the Eating for IBS meassage board for more common abbreviations which may help you.

Re: to prissy new
      #327097 - 03/24/08 03:42 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

To Prissy,
I've not tried acacia fiber yet but have ordered it and am hoping it will arrive soon. My advice would be to keep taking it and gradually increase your dosage within the guidelines. This is becasue other people have said it can take months to stabilise and find the right dosage for you. If you are finding you are more C at the moment you may need to drink more water as SF absorbs a lot of water making your BM dry. Also it might be safe for you to try some more IF foods.....but gradually.
Good luck

#327098 - 03/24/08 04:26 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I would suggest starting with a smaller dose. When I tried Acacia the first time I started with too much...and it made the C worse. You have to go really slowly for your body to adjust. Maybe start with 1/4 tsp. and increase it by 1/4 tsp. each week. See what your body can handle. And drink a TON of water. That is always the best thing for C. You will probably find more help on the EFI board. This board is mostly for non-IBS conversation. Good luck.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#327214 - 03/26/08 10:01 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

When I tried Acacia the first time I started with too much...and it made the C worse.

Me too....so I gave up. You only increased by 1/4 tsp a week? How much are you up to now? I guess patience isn't one of my strong qualities. It seems like this increase amount would take forever to get to an effective dose.

BTW, how much water do you have to drink? Can herbal tea count as water? I can't stand plain water.

It's always encouraging to hear of a success story from someone with C. I have so many doubts that it could help C. So much SF. Do you have to eat tons of IF to counter balance this, Mary? It also surprised me to hear that someone who had a rectal prolapse could benefit from this. I remember one poster who had this problem and the Acacia made you horribly constipated. I will never understand this IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#327234 - 03/26/08 11:35 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Yes, herbal tea counts as water!

I'm on a 2nd day in a row of being C - this hasn't happened to me in months! - and I think it is because I haven't been drinking enough water lately. I have a nasty cold and I'm getting that whole post-nasal drip thing happening (sorry if TMI) and swallowing any liquid right now is almost making me feel like I'm going to choke. I'm trying to force myself today though because this being C is really getting on my nerves..

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#327298 - 03/27/08 04:55 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Jordy,

I no longer take the acacia. I haven't for a long time. I think at one point (when I was at my worst) I was taking 6 scoops of citrcucel (a/b 12g SFS) and and a/b 10g SFS worth of acacia (don't remember exact dose). Plus I ate a ton of both SF and IF. And drank a ton of water. And I was very strict with the IBS diet...except I probably ate more IF than a lot of people. I don't know that it really helped that much since my problem was rectal prolapse and not IBS. But I also don't think it made things worse. Now that I've had my surgery I take a/b 2 scoops of citrucel a day. And I take 2 doses of Miralax. I do try to eat healthy and get plenty of fiber to keep things working well. But I don't follow the IBS diet anymore since I don't have IBS. My diet is also a little skewed right now b/c I'm pregnant. So that makes the C worse. I'm hoping that after I have my baby my system will work better again...like it did shortly after surgery. As far as water, I try to drink at least 100 oz. a day. I need a lot in order for the Miralax to work. Yes, tea counts as water. Just about any liquid can count...and will help. If your stomach can tolerate them, koolaid, juice, gatorade, herbal tea...they can all count towards your total fluid intake for the day. Don't get too hung up on water itself...any fluid will help. Most things contain a lot of water anyway.

A SFS doesn't work for everyone, but if you are going to give it a good try you do have to start small and work your way up. That's just the way our digestive systems work. And I always spaced out my doses throughout the day - morning, afternoon, evening. Too much at once is hard to handle.

I've had the best luck with Citrucel. I've been taking it every day for almost 5 years now. I do one scoop in the morning (a/b a half hour before breakfast) and one scoop about an hour before dinner. Seems to give my intestines a little cushion/coating to make digestion easier. But it's a small enough dose that I'm not overding the SFS.

Sorry I can't be of more help since I don't really worry about IBS these days. But hopefully this has helped a little. Keep up with the SF as a cushion, followed by IF to help the C. And drink lots of fluids. That's the best advice I can give.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#328571 - 04/21/08 07:31 AM
lycosgirl

Reged: 03/24/06
Loc: Texas

I am having trouble with getting the Acacia Fiber to mix completely with my drink. Is there a trick or what? I have tried to use a fork, to have the fiber in the glass before poring the liquid in, and then I tried the other way around. I have also let it sit and that doesn't really seem to help either.
Please help!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 491 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review