All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What's the most annoying IBS related commercial?
      #326829 - 03/19/08 01:15 PM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

This morning i switch on my TV and there is a commercial for immodium which really annoyed me!

Picture this - a girl sits in her house in front of the tv under the duvet, miserable becasue she has diarrhoea. It's raining outside and the picture is dull.

The picture switches to the same girl meeting up with her friends, laughing and smiling, the sun is shining, it is bright and she is really happy.

The commercial goes something like, "This morning when you had diarrhoea, you had the choice whether to let it spoil your day or not - choose immodium to brighten up your day."

I mean flippin hec on mornings when i have D it always spoils my day and even if i did take immodium i'd still have the pain and bloating and anxiety about what will happen when it wears off, i don't want to go to work or meet friends - I DON'T have a choice and it sure as hec DOES spoil my day!!!

I wanted to thump the happy smiley girl in the commercial - she obviously doesn't have IBS!!!

And don't get me started on the laxative adverts! I'm in the UK but i'm sure you must have some annoying commercials too

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's the most annoying IBS related commercial? new
      #326845 - 03/19/08 03:47 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I keep seeing this Immodium commercial where this woman is standing in a nursery holding her baby and singing. Suddenly her singing speeds up, she quickly puts down the baby and runs out of the room. Then they say "diarrhea shouldn't give you the runs". Come on!

And don't get me started on the Pepto Bismol commercials. I don't know if you have those in the UK but they are AWFUL. They have this whole song with coordinated moves and everything. Most recently they've had what looks like amateur videos of regular people singing the song and doing the dance. Like stomach troubles are something to be JOKED about. Sorry but there's nothing funny about it in my mind.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#326877 - 03/20/08 08:26 AM
Kimberley321

LOL! Oh my gosh, they sound awful! "diarrhea shouldn't give you the runs". OK, the person who thought that up has obviously never had diarrhea!

We also have these terrible laxative commercials of a woman in an office banging two pens on a table and the voiceover says that the laxative will get you back in the rhythm!!!

#326881 - 03/20/08 08:47 AM
Erilyn

OMG too funny!

That reminded me of a cereal commercial I used to see, where there were these three men in suits who showed up to use three bathroom stalls all in a row at the exact same time every morning. They'd all greet each other as they stepped into their stalls. The idea was that eating this cereal would make you that regular! If only it were that simple!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#326892 - 03/20/08 10:18 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The old Zelnorm commercials where they show all these spasing bellys...but after the magic of zelnorm, they all have flat stomachs! Never happened for me.

Also, I hate all the yogurt commercials that promote their yogurt as the cure for GI problems.

And, wasn't there one for Zelnorm or digestive advantage where they were eating pizza because the product worked so well?

Finally, all the SFS commercials. If taking an SFS was the answer, we would all be fine. Yeah, right! So false...and really belittles the severity that IBS can cause to a persons life.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#326897 - 03/20/08 10:58 AM
Erilyn

Quote:

Also, I hate all the yogurt commercials that promote their yogurt as the cure for GI problems.

Oh yes, I hate those too! They drive me bonkers! There's this one for Astro BioBest where this lean, very fit looking woman is standing in a kitchen wearing yellow spandex leggings and a yellow spandex crop top, showing off a VERY flat belly, eating her yogurt and telling her friend how wonderful it is. They even have this stupid little swirly graphic slowly rotating around her stomach, I guess to "show" how regulated her digestion is.

--------------------

#326913 - 03/20/08 01:00 PM
Kimberley321

We have a similar commercial for Activia youghut where they get four girl-nextdoor-type people to say that eating Activia every day cured their bloating - My BF actually suggested I try it - i gave him my annoyed face and reminded him dairy hates me!

#326914 - 03/20/08 01:02 PM
Kimberley321

LOL! As if that would work! I suppose it also shows that there are a lot of people out there suffering digestive problems whether it is IBS related or not.

#326916 - 03/20/08 01:08 PM
Kimberley321

Quote:

Finally, all the SFS commercials. If taking an SFS was the answer, we would all be fine. Yeah, right! So false...and really belittles the severity that IBS can cause to a persons life.

We have this terrible commercial where people who have taken SFS are fully clothed swimming underwater to show that they are feeling light! The annoying song goes "you could be happy" and repeats this over and over to an annoying tune! I could be happy if they would find a miracle cure for IBS - then i would dive head first fully clothed into a pool yelling, "you could be happy!"

#326934 - 03/20/08 02:09 PM
Erilyn

Quote:

LOL! As if that would work! I suppose it also shows that there are a lot of people out there suffering digestive problems whether it is IBS related or not.

Probably because of all the processed garbage everyone eats in this society. Then again, is it even natural to be 100% regular? I mean, were the paleolithic hunter-gatherers regular? All they ate was meat and berries.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review