All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Therapy session # ? new
      #326820 - 03/19/08 10:39 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Therapy is amazingly hard work. I never managed more than one session a week - your doing two a week shows incredible resolve and commitment.

My mantra during the worst of it was: The only way out is through. Sometimes it was just a reminder and sometimes it was practically a chant that got me into the therapist's office.

Hang in there and take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#326859 - 03/19/08 07:35 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thanks Sand. I've done some therapy before but never 2 per week and its been quite a roller coaster ride so far. And even though I don't necessarily feel any better at this moment, I know I'm doing really important work on myself. I feel the beginnings of changes in a few areas of my life actually - just not any measurable strides (yet) in the phobia/anxiety that was the reason for going in the first place.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#326940 - 03/20/08 03:39 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Hawkeye,

I was thinking of you today! I had a wicked migraine and I hid in the file storage room with the lights off during my lunch break. I had my mantra going and keeping me calm. I was trying not to pass out from the migraine pain, and in the middle of my mantra you popped into my head - the post where I made you promise not to laugh at my mantra!

Have a happy Easter, I'm outta here for the next 3 days to MN!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#326945 - 03/20/08 06:07 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Hi Hawkeye,

I've been reading your thread and I sure empathize with you. I've done the twice a week therapy in the past and it was way too intense for me. Didn't realize it at the time though. Plus I became way too dependent on the therapist.

Nothing wrong with a little help from some meds. Personally I prefer antidepressants to anti anxiety drugs as I tend to rebound and then become more anxious and emotional as the drug wears off. I sometimes use one briefly. Finding the right med is a trial and error thing. Lexapro works great on my anxiety but doesn't do so well with my IBS. Pdoc recently switched me to liquid lexapro as it is absorbed through the stomach rather than the intestines. Plus I can really titrate the dose. I only take 5 mg.

I wish you the best. Some of the suggestions re: mantras, yoga, relaxation, meditation are really good, but with the high level of anxiety you are experiencing, I know it is difficult to focus. Hope your pdoc has some good advice.

Susie

#326955 - 03/21/08 06:02 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

That's so funny! (Not the migraine part). I hope the thought of me didn't mess up your mantra! - and I haven't laughed btw. The fact that you've found something that works for you seems like a superhuman feat to me. Have a great trip...

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review