All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Teeth grinding....Do you do this?
      #325479 - 02/25/08 10:49 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I've always been a "teeth grinder" in my sleep, but my husband says it's been getting worse lately. The only way I know I grind them is him telling me and my jaws hurt and are tight. I'm battling headaches all the time lately, too. So I finally called my dentist this morning to see about getting a mouth guard. A gal I work with wears one and she said it has helped her tremendously. I was surprised my dentist could get me in so quick, though. I was able to get in next Monday. So I hope it helps. The only thing is now I'm nervous about the appointment and know I'll have to take Imodium that morning. It's a never ending cycle.

Do any of you grind your teeth in your sleep? If so, do you wear a guard and does it help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Teeth grinding....Do you do this? new
      #325481 - 02/25/08 11:02 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

My husband wears a guard and it helps him a lot. If he forgets to wear it for awhile he notices that his jaw starts hurting again.

I'm pretty sure clench my teeth in my sleep. I don't grind, but when I'm first waking I'm usually aware of how tight my jaw is. Perhaps I should ask my dentist about a guard, too!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325482 - 02/25/08 11:10 AM
Nugget

Erilyn....yes, I notice during the day that I'll be clenching my jaw alot. I try to relax it as much as possible. My chiropractor first suggested a mouth guard when I went to see him about a headache. He felt my jaw and neck and asked if I grind my teeth. He was surprised to find out that I do because he said I seem like such a calm person. I keep everything inside, though...which doesn't help IBS at all.

#325483 - 02/25/08 11:47 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I grind my teeth and clench my jaw when I am extremely stressed out. It doesn't happen that often, thankfully.

My husband wears a mouth guard and has for longer than we've known each other.

#325485 - 02/25/08 11:50 AM
Erilyn

I'm the exact same way! On the outside it doesn't look like I give much of a hoot about anything, but on the inside I'm usually a ball of nerves - even if I'm not consciously aware of it. I clench my jaw during the day too, but usually not to the point where I make my whole face hurt. In the morning, I notice that my teeth and face are quite achey, so I must do it pretty hard in my sleep!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#325487 - 02/25/08 11:55 AM
Nugget

nobody really knows the extent of my nerves and anxiety that I deal with on a daily basis. I have even thought about getting a punching bag that I can hit on at the end of the day to let some of the anger, frustration, and stress out. A lot of my anger comes from things I dealt with as a kid that I didn't realize bothered me until I got older. Things I have never told anyone. Just balled up inside me. I really need to let it out, but don't no how without hurting someone's feelings. I've tried counseling, but I didn't even completely open up then either. So it didn't do me much good.

#325488 - 02/25/08 12:05 PM
Erilyn

I have tried counselling in the past too. I couldn't open up either. I'm just not one to talk about my feelings. I don't find that it helps - it actually seems to make me feel worse. One thing that helped me a lot a few years ago was journalling. I could get everything out but I wasn't actually sitting and talking about it with someone. It was great. And I found it really helpful to go back and re-read sections and see how I felt about it later. It was very liberating. When I felt I was done, I tore all those pages out of the notebook and burned them. I think it may be time to try it again, except I never get any alone time anymore. I can't sit and write in a journal with hubby hovering around...

--------------------

#325492 - 02/25/08 01:17 PM
Nugget

I used to do some journaling, too. But, like you, I don't get much alone time any more. Hard to write when hubby is around. Today is a horrible headache day and I wish I could just go home, curl up and nap. But I need to be here at work, then when I get home, I'll need to do things there, too. Hubby is usually a help, but I hate to admit that I'm not feeling well again.

#325493 - 02/25/08 01:23 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Yup. When I did and used a mouth guard, it helped a lot. Headaches and jaw pain disappeared. Good luck!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#325515 - 02/26/08 05:05 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I have worn a mouth guard at night for over 20 years. However, my dentist assures me that my problem is with bad braces and poor orthodontics to straighten my extremely buck teeth when I was a kid. My top and bottom teeth will never "fit" so when I am asleep my subconscious takes over and tries to grind them down. Crazy, huh?

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review