All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
How can I talk my way out of a panic attack?
      #325305 - 02/22/08 02:17 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I keep having these panic attacks about EVERYTHING and I need to learn how to talk myself out of them. Any good suggestions? I just feel out of control and I'm trying to keep it all to myself so nobody knows. I don't want my husband or anyone at work to know how out of control I feel at time. I worry about going away from home and having an attack. Just like right now, my husband e-mailed me and asked if I'd like to go out to dinner tonight. Well, he doesn't know it, but it's been an "iffy" stomach day for me today and just the thought of going out tonight has sent me into a panic. I don't want him to know because I don't want to be the cause for us not going out. You know what I mean? I'm always the cause. I get anxiety at even the slightest tummy gurgle. I've taken 2 Imodium today and I know I'll be fine, but it's just the "what if's" that get me going. How can I stop this cycle of panic/anxiety about leaving the comfort of my own home? I don't want to go back on anti-anxiety meds. I hated those.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can I talk my way out of a panic attack? new
      #325307 - 02/22/08 02:41 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'm not sure, since I've been battling the same thing. It seems that I have periods with much more anxiety and panic, and periods of my life that are easier. Hopefully, you're at the end of a difficult cycle and moving towards an easier time.
I definitely recommend therapy, which I'm in right now and feel like I'm moving in the right direction, though no noticeable improvement yet. (only had 4 sessions so far) There are books on dealing with panic, I have one by Bourne which you can find on amazon. I think its basically applying cognitive behavioral therapy to panic/anxiety. In terms of drugs, you might consider xanax or something similar that you take only in case of severe anxiety. They work quickly and don't last all that long, they supposedly leave your system pretty quick. I take half pills as they take the edge off, while whole pills work better but leave me groggy sometimes. I know all of what you're talkign about with not wanting to be the one who cancels plans. That would be my role, unfortunately, with my wife. Dinner out before a movie? no. Dinner anywhere but asian food? No! Camping? never again in my life! And on and on. She couldn't grasp, I don't think, the extent that ibs and anxiety shape my decisions. Its a constant worry.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#325309 - 02/22/08 02:48 PM
Nugget

thanks Hawkeye! I have Lucinda Bassetts book "From Panic to Power", but I stopped reading it for some reason. I keep telling myself that everything will be OK. I'll be going out to dinner in about an hour and a half right now. So I need to get a handle on this panic attack soon.

Re: Suggestion new
      #325319 - 02/22/08 04:49 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I belong to a self help cognitive behavioral group called Recovery Inc. They have in person meetings, telephone meetings and a web site:
www.recovery-inc.com/

We use a book called Mental Health Through Will Training written by Dr. Abraham Low. Some of his methods for terminating panics include telling yourself that "My symptoms are distressing but not dangerous. I can function with my symptoms." This is called spotting. When you are having panic symptoms such as palpitations, shortness of breath, pressure in your head, feeling hot, your mind sets up a vicious cycle. It starts saying - this is dangerous. I can't stand my symptoms. I can't go. Dr. Low has you substitute his secure thoughts for your insecure thoughts. Sounds simple, huh? But it takes a lot of practice. It really worked for me.

Re: Suggestion new
      #325365 - 02/23/08 09:13 AM
Nugget

Thank you so much Susie for sharing that Web site with me. I've quickly looked it over and I feel I can get some help there. I will definately check it out more. {{{hugs}}}

#325367 - 02/23/08 09:17 AM
Nugget

Last night went well. I didn't get sick or have an attack. We even went to Cold Stone Creamery after dinner and I had a Kids size treat with no problems. Today is pretty good. A little anxiety because of things I need to get done and worried that if we go out and run errands that I will have an attack. Also may have company this afternoon but, not sure yet. The uncertainty makes me nervous.

#325449 - 02/24/08 10:54 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Not sure if you're Religious, but this Prayer of Saint Dymphn(Patron Saint of those with nervous/anxiety or any kind of mental disorder) helps a lot.

http://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/novenas/p00039.htm

#325467 - 02/25/08 08:03 AM
Nugget

thanks for the prayer, I appreciate it. I don't go to church, but do believe. Not even sure I know how to pray.

#325475 - 02/25/08 09:34 AM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

This may sound strange, but I've had terrible anxiety and panic attacks which have been greatly reduced by just letting myself acknowledge and feel it. Before I'd try to make up excuse for why i felt that way or distract myself or try to find an answer. But recently what I've found helps, is to just let yourself let go and feel the anxiety/panic, don't let your mind run and try to make up a story to go with it, accept the sensation. In a few moments, it dissipates and you're fine.

I think things start getting mixed up when you associate emotions with physical discomfort and pain. There's no reason to put those together. Let physical feelings be one thing and emotions be another. There's no reason to panic because you are having an IBS flare. You just take care of your body the way you know you need to in the moment that it happens. If you're out and it happens, use the bathroom and go home if necessary etc. Getting your emotions riled up only will worsen it. So if you can just concentrate on keeping physical sensation and emotional sensation as two separate entities, I think you'll find it easier to cope. It's a process of course, one I'm still mastering.

#325477 - 02/25/08 10:43 AM
Nugget

Thanks so much for the suggestion LMo. I've heard of this and have been trying to apply it. It's easier said than done sometimes. Will take a lot of practice. {{{hugs}}}

#325545 - 02/26/08 12:01 PM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

Hugs back! And keep me posted as to how you're doing! =)

#325547 - 02/26/08 12:23 PM
Nugget

thanks for the hugs. Today is a really rough day. I'm feeling worthless. I've been having headaches and grinding my teeth in my sleep. I was just about in tears at work, so I just came home and am crying as I write this. I don't know why I'm such a mess right not. All I want to do is curl up in a ball and cry.

#325710 - 02/28/08 11:21 AM
Dawn_Angel

Reged: 02/25/08
Loc: NY State

thank you, that was a good post! i've had a lot of anxiety lately also, especially at work before i put two and two together and realized it might be this IBS condition. Now that I know the first week has been hard to deal with feeling so overwhelmed and lacking emotional/mental control. I think that makes a lot of sense to just let yourself feel it and keep it separate.
i have tried to take some of that advice.
Also i find that journaling and doing my pilates exercises help me regain my mental focus and physical strength back and then i begin to feel more emotionally stable.

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." ~ William James

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin." ~ Mother Teresa

Book Recommendation for Panic Attacks, Intense Worry new
      #325713 - 02/28/08 11:25 AM
Dawn_Angel

Natural Relief for Anxiety: Complementary Strategies for Easing Fear, Panic & Worry (Paperback)
by Edmund J. Bourne (Author), Arlen Brownstein (Author), Lorna Garano (Author)

this book is awesome!

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." ~ William James

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin." ~ Mother Teresa

reverse worry is meditation new
      #325715 - 02/28/08 11:29 AM
Dawn_Angel

Nugget, maybe it would help to visualize it like this.. prayer is just thinking positive thoughts or a silent reflection and then release of your burdens - a silent inner trust that is returned to you and a gentle knowing that you have been heard. it really helps, especially when it feels your world is crashing down. i'll be thinking of you with your panic attacks, its not fun to feel anxiety so much, i have this week off work and just discovered i may have IBS but i know i'll have to return here in a few days and that will be the test, i get anxiety over that a lot.
i believe prayer helps us stay a bit more calm and i know if it wasn't for the prayers of my family and friends lately i'd feel much more anxiety today still.. but every day gets a bit better.
luv Jen

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

positive affirmations - mantras, key words help to relax.. new
      #325716 - 02/28/08 11:34 AM
Dawn_Angel

i really believe in the power of words to conjure up visual comforting images,.. when i have panic attacks i try to repeat some mantras to myself because at the time you are not thinking logically but emotionally active.
if you repeat something like this
"i want to feel well"
"just breathe"
"i am safe"
"i am loved"
"focus on the breath"
"relax.. just relax"
etc..
visualize a place of tranquility that you can virtually go to , like a serene garden, or a rippling brook, or a field of wildflowers, or imagine yourself enjoying the scent of a rose bush.. or even take a walk in nature to reality-wise be there.
this might help
over time if you repeat things to yourself even if you aren't there yet, you will become what you believe.
so you speak words of power and influence over your own life, like manifestations.
blessings,

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

Thank you Dawn.... new
      #325814 - 02/29/08 09:35 AM
Nugget

thank you so much for your wonderful posts and suggestions. I will definately give them a try.

Today is a particularly tough day....have an extremely bad headache once again from sleeping tense last night and grinding my teeth. Am trying not to let it affect me because everyone decorated my desk here at work today along with a bouquet of roses my husband left on my desk after I left work yester day. My 40th birthday is this weekend. I want to feel well.

one day at a time... new
      #325877 - 03/01/08 12:54 PM
Dawn_Angel

that's what i tell myself and it helps a bit.. its nice to have support, even though it is a personal battle we have to fight daily with our health. blessings to you!

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

Re: one day at a time... new
      #325901 - 03/02/08 08:47 AM
Nugget

thank you Dawn. Today is my 40th birthday. We had my birthday party yesterday with a few family members. Early in the morning I had a terrible anxiety attack and finally broke down to my husband about it and he helped me through it before everyone arrived for the party. Had a wonderful time with family and the day was beautiful. I wish I wouldn't let myself get so worked up about stupid things. But that's the way it is. Today is better. A slight tummy problem this morning, but took some imodium and should be fine. It snowed today and it's so pretty. Glad I had my birthday party yesterday when it was nice weather. Hubby and I even went for an evening walk yesterday and now we have snow.

#325925 - 03/02/08 06:19 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Happy birthday Nugget! I'm sorry you had a panic attack, but glad you came through it and had a good time at your party! I know that in retrospect it always seems so silly that we got worked up about something, but we can't always control our emotions at the time. Try not to feel bad about it.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325931 - 03/02/08 08:26 PM
Nugget

thank you erilyn. the support I get here from you and everyone else is so very much appreciated.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review