All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Giardiasis???
      #325027 - 02/19/08 02:29 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Anyone ever heard of Giardiasis? Its a parasite that seems to cause almost identical problems as IBS. It said that you can get it through contaminated water, feces and a lot of times at daycares. Well I used to work at a daycare so now I am kinda freaked out. If anyone has ever heard of this or knows about it, please reply. I never did a stool sample cause well... I just didnt want to, but now I am thinking maybe I should have!! Thanks for your help in advance!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Giardiasis??? new
      #325041 - 02/19/08 06:51 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I contracted Giardiasis 28 years ago from water in the Rocky Mountains while hiking. You would think that fast moving mountain water would be okay. Not so. Since then I use a water filter on all water sources. At home we us a Brita filter.

It was different from ibs d ... I ended up in an icu where they gave me Quinacrine (I think). Made me really sick for 3 weeks. I won't go into the gory details, but I remember thinking that just dying would be okay.

Hot soapy water for utensils and a filter for all water.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#325094 - 02/20/08 02:20 PM
steffiejoy

How did you end up knowing giardiasis is what you had? So its different from IBS-D? Thats good to know. I just got kinda freaked out when I heard about it and being that I used to work in a daycare center and currently and teaching first grade. Do you think I should mention anything to my GI doctor? Thanks for replying!!

Stef

#325118 - 02/20/08 07:23 PM
Double J

Quote:

How did you end up knowing giardiasis is what you had? So its different from IBS-D? Thats good to know. I just got kinda freaked out when I heard about it and being that I used to work in a daycare center and currently and teaching first grade. Do you think I should mention anything to my GI doctor?

I had a rash, and a high fever, and could not stand up. Anything that I ate caused sever pain with vomiting and d. The doctors in the ER diagnosed my symptoms as Giardiasis and the began treatment. One of the signs of Giardiasis is really foul smelling, yellowish stools. Back then I did not have ibs-d. And my doctor does not believe that having Giardiasis caused my ibs.

If you're really worried about it ask your doctor. I don't think that you have any need to fear.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#325164 - 02/21/08 09:08 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Since then I use a water filter on all water sources. At home we us a Brita filter.

Just so you know, a Brita will not remove bacteria from water, only chemicals and sediment. We had a boil water advisory here last winter after some particularly bad rainstorms caused the water supply to become contaminated, and they said just using a Brita is useless. Under normal circumstances, though, municipal water supplies are already treated for harmful bacteria.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325218 - 02/21/08 07:23 PM
Double J

Now that is terrible news!!!! I wonder how safe bottled water really is..??

--------------------

#325220 - 02/21/08 07:32 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks for the info. My mom works with someone whos daughter is a nurse and she passed on what was going on with me and the nurse gave my mom the info on giardiasis. I thought that that sounded pretty far fetched myself. But anymore who know! Thanks again!

Stef

#325232 - 02/22/08 05:06 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

My friend told me about her fried who had the bacteria. I think the only part that was similar to IBS was D. The girl was also vomiting and had a high fever. So I think if you had it you'd know by now . But it never hurts to have a stool test done anyway, just to rule out other parasites and bad bacteria.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#325256 - 02/22/08 08:42 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Bottled water is treated the same way municipal water is. Then it's just filtered as well to remove sediment. The chances of catching a bacteria or virus from tap or bottled water in the industrialized world is very slim!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review