All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I dont get it
      #324512 - 02/11/08 04:23 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm so frustrated today. First off I really appreciate anyone who listens to my rant because sometimes I feel like theres nowhere to turn.

For starters I've had a massive headache for about 4-5 days. It started right on my forehead. I have sinus issues so I chalked it up to that and took some tylenol. Then it hasnt gotten any better. Lights have been bothering me and putting a cold towel over my head/eyes seems to help. I also woke up with my left eye swollen. The headache just wont go away! Next, it seems it doesnt matter what I eat! First let me say that I dont cheat. I really truely do not cheat on my diet. I eat pretty much only soluble fiber foods. My diet is extremely boring. Every single night I eat grilled chicken and white rice with some teriyaki sauce. For lunches I eat plain turkey on sourdough bread,baked lays or pretzels and some mango or dried papaya. I only drink water and I dont eat any vegetables. Thats it. It sucks! For the last few days following this exact diet, I have been having IBS attacks! Tonight, I couldnt finish my rice. I mean white rice!? Teriyaki sauce has never bothered me. It has been the only exciting part of my meals. So what gives? I thought maybe the pretzels were part of the problem, so I stopped eating those... still having attacks. I dont understand. I just feel like never eating again, I mean whats the point!? None of the food I eat should be bothering me, yet for the past 4 days it has been. I dont understand. I just hate living like this, it just isnt a fun life when I worry so much about what I am going to eat and running to the bathroom the second I put my fork down. Its just not fun. I used to be such a happy person, now I sit here and cry because of this stupid IBS stuff. Sorry for my rant, I just needed to type it out. Thanks again for listening.

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I dont get it new
      #324517 - 02/11/08 06:37 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

It sounds like you have about the same boring menu as I do. I also do not cheat but have been having major problems for the past month. I can relate it all to stress. Is this a possibility for you?
Also, could that be a migraine headache you are having? I've only had a few, but when I have one, lights really bother me and the only solution is to go into a dark room and lay down. Stress has triggered a couple of migraines for me.

#324519 - 02/11/08 07:09 PM
kristi123

Reged: 10/13/07

I know how you feel and it really does suck..I am stable now but before was pretty bad for a while and I think part of it was stress related, because when I finally chilled out the attacks slowed down so much. And as for the whole menu..I know it sucks and I used to always just cry and wish the whole thing never happened..but with time it got much better and I have even found good come out of this. Try to relax and focus on the positive things even when you don't think it can get better. Hope you feel better

--------------------
IBS-D

#324535 - 02/12/08 08:51 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Maybe you have problems with fructose? As soon as I saw the mango and papaya my stomach did a flip. Personally I can't eat too much fruit - especially dried fruit. Just an idea.

It does sound like you are having a migraine. I get them and yes, they feel exactly like a sinus headache. I read that up to 90% of sinus headaches are in fact migraines. When I get them, light bothers me, heat bothers me, even certain smells bother me. I find the best thing to do is lie down with an ice pack over my eyes and forehead. This often lessens the pain in as little 20 minutes!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324549 - 02/12/08 10:30 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

So sorry to hear you are still unwell. I can relate - i've been on a similar bland diet and was well for two weeks until this morning......pain I think it might be worth looking into a fructose sensitivity test. I say this becasue I too have problems with mango and papaya (these were the first two new safe foods i added to my diet and the D was so bad I nearly gave up the diet) - I think they are both quite high in fructose.

Sorry I can't help with the migranes - I am blessed enough not to have had one.

Re: I dont get it (I kinda go off on a rant!!) new
      #324608 - 02/12/08 04:33 PM
steffiejoy

Maybe it is the fruit, I dont know. It never gave me a problem in the past. Do you know of any dried fruit without added sugar? It just sucks. I mean if I have a fructose issue plus I dont eat any vegetables, how am I supposed to get any nutrients? My blood work came back saying my electrolytes are low... well I dont eat!

Today has been better. I ate more dried fruit and as I was eating my stomach had a small reaction, but no "D". I had plain chicken and some all natural lo mein noodles and so far so good. My headache also seems better. I know stress plays a big part in this too. I teach first grade in the inner city, am flat broke (newly married), and in general nervous. Since my heart surgery, I'm just nervous and anxious all the time. I worry about having kids, having money to support kids and getting my body nurished enough to be able to get pregnant! Sounds silly I know and I need to stop worrying, but that seems easier said than done! I was also wondering about fibermyolgia. I wake up (never on time because I am always tired) and feel exhausted every morning. It doesnt matter how much sleep I get. Plus I have chronic headaches and the last one lasted a good 5-6 days. Maybe it was a migraine. I dont know the difference between sinus and a migraine. Although I have had sinus headaches that last a good 10 days and I didnt think migraines last for 5 days. Argh. If you guys read this whole thing, thank you very much for listening to my rant! I dont know if I am ever going to figure out this IBS stuff.

Stef

#324618 - 02/13/08 04:35 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I don't have much advice about your diet. I'm more of a c. But may I ask why you don't eat vegetables????? That is really bad for you. You're missing out on a lot of vitamins/nutrients. Even on the IBS diet you can (and should!!) eat veggies. Try well cooked really soft ones. I think canned veggies work well. Or you can even puree cooked veggies (kind of like baby food) so they are easy to digest. Do you take any kind of vitamins? That might be helpful as well. In addition to controlling your IBS you have to get your body healthy. That will probably help with the fatigue and the headaches. Just a thought.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#324626 - 02/13/08 08:44 AM
Erilyn

It's not that dried fruit has added sugar, it's just that its natural sugar is concentrated. Dried fruit is almost pure sugar and fibre. Most of the water is gone. So it's easy to eat more dried fruit than it is to eat fresh, so you end up with a higher sugar load. I remember eating a few dried apricots several years ago and regretting it for days. I'm not saying that the fruit is a problem for you – maybe it's not – but it definitely is for me. I can eat small amounts of fruit and lately have been having a few green grapes after dinner in the evening. I've never been a big fruit eater – because of the consequences – so I generally just stay away from it altogether, forgetting that I can tolerate some – and really should be eating some.

As for other veggies, try to eat as much cooked carrot, squash, sweet potato, and turnip as possible. These are all soluble fibre veggies that pack a bigger nutritional punch than just plain white rice. Try having a small amount of well-cooked insoluble fibre veggies to go along with them, to help get as much nutrition as possible. Everyone is different with which IF veggies they can tolerate – I seem fine with broccoli but other folks can't touch it. It also helps to finely chop or puree your IF veggies. You should also take a multi-vitamin if you are concerned about not getting enough nutrients. I take the Avon Women's Formula – it is dairy-free, gluten-free, artificial flavour and colour-free, you name it. I've been taking one with dinner every night for about 3 weeks and so far so good! I have to chew them up because I can't swallow big pills, but this helps with absorption anyway.

As for the headaches, I still believe that you are having migraines. Migraines can definitely last for days at a time. The difference between a sinus headache and migraine is that the sinus headache generally only happens if you have a cold and/or sinus infection. If you have no symptoms to suggest this, then chances are it is a migraine. You've heard that migraines are usually so intense that they strike the sufferer down for hours (or even days) at a time, but they don't have to be quite that intense. I have actually had migraines at work and continued to work through them (in agony, of course, but not completely incapacitated). For me the pain occurs sort of at the bridge of my nose, and spreads across my upper cheeks below my eyes, the brow area above my eyes, and sort of in the temple areas (this is what the classic sinus headache is supposed to feel like). I also experience a bit of a stiff neck feeling. And it's not just pain, per se, I once told a fellow migraine sufferer that it feels like my head wants to throw up. She said, "yes! That's it". Other people get migraines that just suddenly come on strong and intense, and describe a feeling like an ice pick being driven into their skull – I have had this happen but fortunately it only lasts for a few moments at a time. Some people have this feeling for hours! But as I said, when I get that sinus-like migraine, I find the best thing to do is lie down with an ice-pack over my eyes and forehead. It really helps!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#324672 - 02/13/08 03:09 PM
steffiejoy

Thank you all for your help. I guess with the fruit thing is that I craaaave sugar-- big time. With this IBS stuff I have completly eliminated it. No pop, no lemonade, no juice, no sweets--nothing. So dried mango and papaya is like my chocolate! Since I've started this diet and eliminated soooo many foods, I've lost 50 pounds! Which is good dont get me wrong (my sweet cravings got me overweight) but the weight just falls off. And no apparently I dont have Celiacs- bloodwork was positive but EGD was negative.
As for veggies. One night I had teriyaki chicken and white rice. The next night I had that exact same thing but I threw in some cooked carrots and green beans- boom I had "D" instantly. So thats when I gave up veggies. Maybe I didnt cook them long enough, I dont know. I know my nutrition is poor, I am without a doubt malnurioushed-my low electrolytes tell me so. I just dont know what to do about it. Therefore I an worried about ever being about to get pregnant.
The vitimin thing is good to know about. Although in the past vitimins have upset my stomach. I just know something has to change, the way I eat now is not healthy.
As for the headaches... its interesting that you mention those "ice pick" headaches because I get those too! Its like this throbbing pain that comes on sooo sudden in the back of your head and at times its almost knocked me on my feet. But before I can even say anything, its gone. I also get "auras". The thing where I see swiggly lines and dashes out of the corner of my eyes where it would blur my vision. But typically it would only result in a small headache. Is there anyway a doctor can tell if I am getting migraines? The headache is still here... not as bad, but right after lunch it came back again. Argh, if its not one thing its something else right?! Thanks again for all your help!! I really appreciate it!

Stef

#324675 - 02/13/08 03:38 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Quote:

Plus I have chronic headaches and the last one lasted a good 5-6 days. Maybe it was a migraine. I dont know the difference between sinus and a migraine. Although I have had sinus headaches that last a good 10 days and I didnt think migraines last for 5 days.

Sweetie, take it from me, migraines will last as long as they want!! My worst was 9 days. My mum has had them for 3 weeks at a time. A migraine has more symptoms than just pain - sensitivity to light and sounds, nauseau, upset stomache, halos or blurred vision. "Silent" migraines have no pain, just auras, and can sometimes affect your speech, cognative thinking and manual dexterity. I've had them all.

How is your blood pressure? If its low, that can trigger headaches. Are you staying hydrated even though you're not eating much? I drink at least 3 litres or 100 oz of liquid every day to stay hydrated - no caffeine - peppermint tea, lots of water, or juice. If I don't, I will have a migraine in the next day or so. When I get a migraine I'll drink extra and add Gatorade or Vitamin water to my mix to rehydrate.

I was in a really stressful job for 6.5 years and the last 2 years were aweful for me IBSwise. It took quitting my job and starting over in a new career to get my IBS under control. It took 2 years to get stable. It's a slow process.

I wish you lots of luck and happier tummy days.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#324677 - 02/13/08 03:54 PM
Erilyn

Stef, you should really try the veggies again! Very early on in this diet, I deviated from just plain chicken and rice or chicken and potatoes one night and had some creamed corn on my mashed potatoes. Within 30 minutes I was in the can with an awful case of D. I came to this board and I ranted and raved, but then I decided to try creamed corn again, and now it is one of my staples! I am fine with it. I think that maybe it was a bad coincidence. I don't consider something a trigger until it has upset me 2 or 3 times in a row (with a bit of a break in between to be sure it's not still the initial upset).

As for the multivitamin, I did find that this Avon one made me a little nauseous for a grand total of about 2 minutes after taking it. But then I tried taking it right in the middle of my meal, rather than immediately before or after, and it helped! I definitely think you should try it.

--------------------

#324679 - 02/13/08 04:04 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Quote:

And no apparently I dont have Celiacs- bloodwork was positive but EGD was negative.

You're bloodwork was positive but the EGD was negative. If I were you, I'd still try the gluten-free. Both my bloodwork and EGD were negative and I found out that I had an intolerance. It has helped a lot. Celiac can cause the migrains as well. Give it a shot, take out the gluten and add more veggies. Squash, potatoes, corn, green beans are all great.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#324784 - 02/15/08 04:44 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

You don't have to eliminate sugar on the IBS diet. You can have regular sugar. It generally doesn't cause any problems. So you shouldn't have to deprive yourself and eat just dried fruit. Try some sugar sometime...in whatever form. Also, you can't rule out a food after one attempt. It could have been completely unrelated. I would guess it was more likely the terriyaki chicken 2x in a row. I had a major problem with soy. Even just a little bit of soy sauce caused problems. But sometimes I was ok if I just had something once. But if I had it 2x in a row that would set me off. I would try various veggies w/ different things. Like make chicken w/ white rice and mix in a few cooked carrots or peas. No extra sauces or anything. See how that goes. But add new things one at a time (maybe one vegetable a week) so you don't have to play a guessing game if one of them is bothering you. For vitamins, finding a chewable kind has helped me. You can even take children's vitamins. They may not have quite as much in them, but it is still better than nothing. And when it's chewable it's MUCH easier to digest. And as Cassandra said, be sure you're staying well hydrated. That's huge. There are lots of things you can drink besides just water. Even regular koolaid works. Good luck. And keep trying. It is a long process.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#324788 - 02/15/08 07:24 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Vitamins in the tablet form bother my stomach but I can do the liquid form -- just an idea.

#324840 - 02/15/08 08:56 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks all for your help. I seemed to have another attack today for what seems to me no reason! I'm in a wedding tommorow and bit stressed, so who knows.

Toady: Thanks for your advice. I didnt realize that migraines can last that long! Mine went away and then came back again. I've been popping tylenol like its my job. I dont know what else to take. I do get the "Auras". I used to get those a lot and then wouldnt really have much of a headache after. So I kinda dismissed it. Then not that long ago I had the worse headache of my life! I mean I was down for the count for about 10 days. So finally I went into the doctor and she did a catscan of my head and said I had "chronic sinus problems". So I chalked it all up to that. But this recent headache seems different. I even felt a bit nauseous and lights were horrible! I also get those "ice pick" headaches where its shooting horrible pain throughout my head. Fortunetly it only lasts for like 5 seconds, but it has almost knocked me off my feet before. In fact I got about 3 of them yesterday- pretty much in the middle of my already killer headache. So I dont know whats going on with me now. My electrolytes are low because I dont eat enough, so maybe thats whats triggering this headache?? My blood pressure is always low. A normal one for me is 120/55. Thats high for me. At times its been in the 90's. I am also dizzy a lot I guess due to the B.P and the low electrolytes. Who knows anymore! Oh and I dont drink any caffiene. Ever since my heart surgery I have direct orders to stay away from it. My job is stressful too. I teach first grade in the inner city. So I am sure that doesnt help. Oh well. I just hope that this stuff behaves tommorow for me while I am in my friends wedding! Thanks again for your help and advice. Do you think I should go to the doctor about the headache? This is like day 8 of it! Thanks again!

Stef

#324953 - 02/18/08 01:02 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Seeing a neuro might be an idea if you are having chronic migraines. I have been seeing a whole lot of different drs for mine in the last year. Interist, chronic pain specialist, even a cardiologist (for the BP) and now I'm being sent to a neuro. Remember that migraines aren't just headaches, they are a disease. The blood vessels in your head aren't working properly. There are a lot of things available to make them alot better or more manageable. I take Maxalt for mine and it is the only thing that helps. Tylonel is just like candy for my migraines - I could pop the whole bottle and need my stomache pumped and they still wouldn't help one bit. I suggest you drink lots to keep your electrolytes up - if they're low try vitamin water or gatorade. And yes, if they are bouncing back - called rebound headaches - you should see someone soon. You could be suffering from migraines, sinus headaches and cluster headaches.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#325326 - 02/22/08 06:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I can't do the mango or papaya-- they give me D. Otherwise, my diet is pretty similar to yours.

My head's been bothering me too. Maybe it's the rash of warm weather? I'm taking 1 benedryl plus 1 claritin every 4 hours. That seems to take care of the headache for me.

Good luck!!! {{{{{hugs}}}}}

~nelly~

P.S. (I don't do veggies either. They guarantee a D attack for me!! There are a lot of D-ers I've met who cut them out too. Don't feel weird or pressured. Whatever Works. )

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6820

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review