All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ethically bankrupt
      #324050 - 02/05/08 01:26 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I quit my job just now. In the 6 weeks I worked there 2 people have been publicly demoted then fired, and another two have simply walked off the job. Make that three.

I was told I had to cook the books, to work off the clock and to take work home, work that wasn't to be compensated. The vice president who was my manager was ethically bankrupt and hated me. While I was continuously praised from the vice prezes of other departments (one shook my hand today and praised my work), I was yelled at on a daily basis and accused of some really bizarre things by my vice prez. Yelled at!! I'm a grown woman!!

Couldn't. Take. It. Any. More. Wasn't even worth finishing out my day.

I've never walked out on a job before. Doesn't feel great at the mo, as I'm doing the financial math in my head.

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I've done the same...better to be broke than sick. n/t new
      #324053 - 02/05/08 01:40 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Ethically bankrupt new
      #324054 - 02/05/08 01:41 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

GOOD FOR YOU!! You don't need that crap in your world... you will find another job worthy of YOU!! Chin up chicky poo!!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#324062 - 02/05/08 02:10 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Congrats Nelly! You don't have to take that Cr@&! I did that a few years ago and had no idea what I was going to do. But things just kind of fell into place and worked out fine. I've now been at the job I took after that for 13 years! I agree....better to be broke than sick. Things will work out for the better. {{{hugs}}}

#324066 - 02/05/08 02:23 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Been there, done that. When the ethics of a company are questionable, it isn't worth it to compromise your own sense of morality for a buck. You gave it a good try. I quit after only 3 days.

I hope you find a better and more suitable job. You did the right thing.

#324085 - 02/05/08 06:06 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'm glad you made such a difficult decision! Don't end up in a horrible job - trapped for an eternity which starts killing you slowly. It's tough, you're right, but it sure sounds like you made the right decision. If you were hired through an agency for that role, I'd give the agency a head's up on what goes on for the future.

You'll find something you love - I'm sure of it!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#324103 - 02/05/08 07:49 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Jeez Nelly,
GOod for you! Not many people would have the strength of character to walk like that. You should be proud of your self - seriously. Can you find some people other than your corrupt VP who might give you a good reference? You did the right thing. Have you ever considered becoming an author? You've had quite a lot of real-life drama, it seems to me, maybe you could turn it into a novel!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#324105 - 02/05/08 09:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Wow, Nelly! It sounds like you did the right thing, and, yeah, you're probably worried about $ right now. But at least you've learned that you have the strength and integrity to do what's right! Your vice prez sounds like a freak.

#324172 - 02/06/08 10:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, way to go!! Its not worth it going to such an awful place everyday! You deserve to be treated better and definitely not asked to do things that are immoral/illegal!!!!! I don't blame you for not finishing out the day, I would have been outta there as well!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

The Day After new
      #324191 - 02/06/08 12:51 PM
Nelly

Quitting is expensive!

Man, you guys are sweet... So I just called the agency to let them know why I quit and apologize. They were nicer to me than they had to be, and in all the phone call went well. BF and my mother have been extremely supportive to me as well. Evidently everyone knew how unhappy I was but I was the last one to see it!

I have the headache from hell now. Arg. It's always the day after the stress that my body screams at me?! Now I either take advil for my headache and have my stomach go out, or just try to deal with my head throb. Decisions.

Thank you again for *getting* me!

~nelly~ Jobless, hurting, but ethically intact

Re: The Day After new
      #324193 - 02/06/08 12:54 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'm happy your BF and mom are supporting your decision. Sorry about your headache - I sympathize. I had to leave work early and come home and put on jammies. I'm just too itchy and uncomfortable and my head is throbbing too. Have you tried Tylonel instead of Advil? I find it doesn't affect my tum as much.

Hugs!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Hi Toady new
      #324194 - 02/06/08 12:58 PM
Nelly

I can take Tylenol til I'm *full* but it won't work on my headache. I have tho taken some benedryl today, but while it's taken some of the edge off, when I get up or move suddenly, the headache comes back full force.

The humidity is really up today too, and crying yesterday didn't help either! I'm going to keep pushing the Vitamin Water (purple) and move veery sloowly.

~nelly~

#324220 - 02/06/08 03:24 PM
Fran1969

Reged: 02/05/08

You totally did the right thing Nelly. Someone else posted that it's better to be broke than sick. I agree. The universe will pay you back for taking a stand for what's right. You just need to be patient now.

Good luck.

Fran

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2927

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review