All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
OK Ladies....what are you getting your hubby or SO for Valentine's Day?
      #324044 - 02/05/08 01:03 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm needing some ideas this year.....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: OK Ladies....what are you getting your hubby or SO for Valentine's Day? new
      #324049 - 02/05/08 01:20 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

yeah, me too

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324056 - 02/05/08 01:52 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I got my husband (we have our 10 year anniversary this year) two sets of those silly V-Day boxers...he actually likes them...and a bag of Valentine Peanut M&Ms (his favorite). Sounds kind of like silly gifts, but works for me.

#324058 - 02/05/08 02:04 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I got my husband (we have our 10 year anniversary this year) two sets of those silly V-Day boxers...he actually likes them...and a bag of Valentine Peanut M&Ms (his favorite). Sounds kind of like silly gifts, but works for me.

NO silly at all.... i've given Shane those too... and a few years ago was long v-day PJ bottoms w/hearts and the Simpsons on them....LOL He wears them all the time!!

--------------------

#324060 - 02/05/08 02:07 PM
Nugget

thanks Shell Glad I'm not the only one who gives those as gifts. Ha! But, hey....one year for our anniversary, he gave ME a "Big Mouth Billy Bass"! You remember the singing fish?

#324061 - 02/05/08 02:10 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

thanks Shell Glad I'm not the only one who gives those as gifts. Ha! But, hey....one year for our anniversary, he gave ME a "Big Mouth Billy Bass"! You remember the singing fish?

LOL.... that was just him telling you that he got the "best catch" (YOU)

--------------------

Electric Drill? new
      #324063 - 02/05/08 02:16 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

My husband says a man can always use another electric drill, which is funny as he doesn't do home repairs. But I guess it is like we can always use another pair of earrings or a bracelet. Men are difficult. If they have an ipod an itunes gift card is probably okay. At least they'd use it. But, I'm stuck too.

#324064 - 02/05/08 02:17 PM
Nugget

Yes, I guess you are right! Ha! I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks!

Re: Electric Drill? new
      #324065 - 02/05/08 02:19 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

My husband says a man can always use another electric drill, which is funny as he doesn't do home repairs. But I guess it is like we can always use another pair of earrings or a bracelet. Men are difficult. If they have an ipod an itunes gift card is probably okay. At least they'd use it. But, I'm stuck too.

yes, tools are good... BUT I got him a bunch at Christmas..., uuummmmmm (thinking thinking thinking)

--------------------

#324077 - 02/05/08 04:35 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I get him a card, his favorite chocolate bar and we go out for a nice dinner + wine. We have to cut the corners this year with me being part time.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Nothing! new
      #324082 - 02/05/08 05:45 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

My hubby is getting a Harley the end of this month so that is his present for every holiday,birthday, anniversary and Valentines Day's for the next 10 years!!!! He's so excited to get it, he agreed to anything!

Actually I may get him something small like a Harley shirt or something

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#324084 - 02/05/08 06:02 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I can't afford a lot this year so it's a nice card and a really nice dinner - probably shrimp or crab, a top sirloin for him, etc. And then.... Who knows!!

I told him I would love some of the stargazer lilies the grocery store has on sale - Hint - Hint - but I doubt I'll get any. In 9 1/2 years I've only got 2 roses from him. He's just not a flower kinda guy.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#324163 - 02/06/08 09:54 AM
Shell Marr

Sounds nice to me Lauren.... just as long as I get SOME chocolate.... nobody will get hurt!!

Quote:

I get him a card, his favorite chocolate bar and we go out for a nice dinner + wine. We have to cut the corners this year with me being part time.

--------------------

Re: Nothing! new
      #324164 - 02/06/08 09:56 AM
Shell Marr

HOLY BUCKETS Lisa.... this is 10 + years of gifts right there!!

Quote:

My hubby is getting a Harley the end of this month so that is his present for every holiday,birthday, anniversary and Valentines Day's for the next 10 years!!!! He's so excited to get it, he agreed to anything!

Actually I may get him something small like a Harley shirt or something

--------------------

#324165 - 02/06/08 09:57 AM
Shell Marr

I like the "And then.... Who knows!!" part! hehehe

Quote:

I can't afford a lot this year so it's a nice card and a really nice dinner - probably shrimp or crab, a top sirloin for him, etc. And then.... Who knows!!

I told him I would love some of the stargazer lilies the grocery store has on sale - Hint - Hint - but I doubt I'll get any. In 9 1/2 years I've only got 2 roses from him. He's just not a flower kinda guy.

--------------------

#324176 - 02/06/08 10:45 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

We've made the "no gifts" promise because we're saving the trip to England & Wales in the fall. We'll probably still go out for dinner or dessert, though.

We tend not to do a lot for V-Day. His birthday is late January and mine's a few days before Valentine's. Then our anniversary's in March, so we're not exactly hurting for gift-giving opportunities this time of year.

#324336 - 02/08/08 09:30 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

My hubby and I don't exchange gifts too much. But we just bought our first apartment in NYC and we are starting to decorate (it's sooo fun!!!) We like bonsai trees and exotic plants, so we want to buy one for our bedroom. Since we'll both enjoy it, it's a great "gift" for the two of us!

#324346 - 02/08/08 10:54 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

My hubby and I don't exchange gifts too much. But we just bought our first apartment in NYC and we are starting to decorate (it's sooo fun!!!) We like bonsai trees and exotic plants, so we want to buy one for our bedroom. Since we'll both enjoy it, it's a great "gift" for the two of us!

Very sweet... congrats on the new place!

--------------------

#324606 - 02/12/08 04:29 PM
Shell Marr

still stumped......HELP!!

--------------------

#324607 - 02/12/08 04:31 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Any music concerts coming up? Tickets are always a good gift!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#324609 - 02/12/08 04:42 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Shell:
I dont know if your set on getting an actual gift to open but my husband and I are pretty much broke. Considering I cant eat out many places and he loves steak, were gonna stay in, get dressed up, play nice music and light candles. Were just going to make each other dinner (him steak and me chicken) eat by candlelight and dance in our family room. Maybe that sounds lame, but its Valentines Day on a budget. Oh and I bought him those conversation hearts and chocolate peanut butter hearts. Good luck!!

Stef

#324619 - 02/13/08 05:36 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hubby and I decided not to spend much this year. So I'm making him his favorite yellow cake with chocolate frosting that I will cut into a heart shape. We're going skiing in a few weeks so I also got him a beanie that he can wear underneath his helmet and nice ski socks .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324643 - 02/13/08 09:42 AM
Shell Marr

No, I dont' really need to spend $$ either.... I've got him a card, a little bag of hot tamales (his fav).... maybe I'll make him some "coupons" on the computer..... i.e. "good for one _________" like foot rub, back rub, etc

--------------------

#324648 - 02/13/08 10:17 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Jeez I need ideas for my hubby too! We normally don't do Valentine's Day, and I figured this would apply especially so this year because we are saving so diligently for a house, but we went to the mall a couple of weeks ago, split up, and when we met up again he had a mysterious bag and he wouldn't tell me what it was. So the other day I asked him point blank if he got me a Valentine's gift and he looked all shifty and said "maaaaaybee"…

Aaaargh! So now I need to get him something! I'll feel bad if I don't. I can go to the mall on my lunch break but I have no clue what to get. He is really into movies but every time he sees something he wants, he buys it right then and there (they're usually really cheap DVD's, well under $10 each). The other day he mentioned one that he wanted, and I was going to get it for him, but later that day I saw him on Amazon and sure enough he was buying it! How am I supposed to get him anything if he keeps buying stuff himself?

I thought about maybe just getting him chocolates but it seems so cliché. I have two hours to figure something out!!!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324649 - 02/13/08 10:41 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Oooh! Inspiration has struck!

He LOVES Bailey's Irish Cream. I love the stuff too but obviously can't have it anymore - but that doesn't mean HE can't have it! I'll buy him a bottle of that, a card, and some chocolates. Sounds good to me!!!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Snorkie! new
      #324650 - 02/13/08 10:41 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Snorkie, where in Wales are you going? That's my home country and i love it and miss it loads! (Now live in England - nowhere near as good). If you need some recommendations or anything then feel free to ask.

PS do not make the mistake of mixing up welsh and english. the welsh hate being called english and would rather not be referred to as british either. We're a funny nation!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324651 - 02/13/08 10:46 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I think we're doing the same. DH hates celebrating valentines. He reckons we should keep the romance and celebrations for anniversaries but he doesn't celebrate these either!!! So, i've bought him a card but i haven't bought him a gift. I'm going to prepare a nice meal, some wine etc

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Why are men so difficult to buy gifts for? new
      #324670 - 02/13/08 02:51 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I'm stumped too. I saw him eyeing an ipod at Costco (He already has several) but if he wants it, he'll just go buy it. Boxes from Amazon arrive almost daily here. I found a nice card and also cards from the cats and dog and I'll make a nice dinner, but I think that's it.

My friend Emma, a wiser older woman - 80 years old, says Valentine's Day is for them to get us stuff. I'll go with that!

Re: Why are men so difficult to buy gifts for? new
      #324760 - 02/14/08 02:05 PM
Nugget

I say....don't make it so difficult...just give from your heart...even if that means a nice dinner you have cooked. It's often not the expense of the gift that makes it special, it's the thought and love that goes into it.

#324762 - 02/14/08 02:14 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I got him a CD, a box of chocalate, a stuffed dog, & a T-shirt that reads "Almost as good as Chocolate"

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

The way I feel today....next year will be nothing.... new
      #324810 - 02/15/08 10:29 AM
Nugget

I tried so hard to make yesterday as special as possible. Even though I haven't been feeling to great for a couple months off and on. After he left for work, I put the Valentine boxers and M&M's I got him in a pretty gift bag and placed it on our bed with some Valentine stuffed animals we already had. I went to work and he sent me a nice e-mail wishing me Happy Valentine's and included a photo of us....which was nice of him. We had planned on making pizza together and watching Survivor last night, so I went straight home from work to start getting things ready. Thinking he'd help make the pizza since he likes to do that. But we had gotten alot of snow so he needed to plow the driveway. I was a little hurt, but understood. I made the pizza by myself while he took care of the snow. I mentioned that only one girl got flowers at work. He said "Well, I thought about it, and then I guess I just thought too long and didn't. But I made you a card. So he handed me a cute little card he had made with a cheesy poem inside about wine coolers and "getting bare". I mentioned that a backrub would be nice later and he grinned. He helped with the dishes which I appreciated...he helps with the dishes every night. We watched Survivor. Then I took a shower and put something pretty on and crawled into bed thinking he'd hop in the shower and crawl into bed with me. He just layed on the bed and ignored me and continued watching TV! I layed there for 45 minutes waiting and thinking he'd offer a backrub, etc. But nothing....so I changed into something more comfortable and he could tell I was upset. I didn't say I was upset. I just cuddled up next to him after he put on an old long sleeve shirt and crawled into bed and he put his arm around me and we watched TV. This morning he said he was sorry that he disappointed me. And I told him I just didn't understand why things didn't work out last night. He just shrugged his shoulders and went to work. This coming from a man who one year sent me a rose a day for a week before Valentines Day and then had a nice bouquet for me on Valentine's Day. People I work with still talk about it. Now I get nothing?! I didn't want anything big or expensive, but some kind of loving gesture besides an e-mail would have been nice. I just feel stupid for trying so hard yesterday to make the day special. I shouldn't feel this way, but it hurts after 13 years!

Re: The way I feel today....next year will be nothing.... new
      #324818 - 02/15/08 11:40 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Thought I would pop in here with some things to say. My hubby and I will be married 10 years in July and have been together since we were freshman in college. He rarely gets me flowers and there have been times I have been sooo mad at him but I have learned a few things in the past years. We have two beautiful children who he is a wonderful father too. We have gone through a lot of medical crises in the past 4 years and he has always been my rock. He also loves me when I look my worst and helps out around the house a lot. Valentine's day is just that... a day. I try to remember all the things he does throughout the year. He is not a Valentine's kind of guy and never will be, but he is the perfect guy for me and that's all I care about.

#324824 - 02/15/08 11:48 AM
Nugget

I guess the reason it hurts is that my husband used to be the kind of guy who made Valentine's Day special. I guess I got spoiled.

#324825 - 02/15/08 11:55 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I understand completely. I just wanted to let you know that I have felt that way before and just tried to put things in perspective. Also with the backrub thing, guys are dense sometimes when it comes to clues we try to give them. Next time just jump on him and say I am ready for my backrub now!!!!

#324826 - 02/15/08 12:46 PM
Nugget

Yes, I know what you mean.....
It just upset me last night because he has said before how he likes when I wear pretty nighties to bed, but when I do he just ignores me. Plus he wants me to wear pretty things to bed, but yet he wears old long sleeve t-shirts and boxers to bed. I've told him I'd like him to wear something nicer to bed ...have even given him nice things to wear to bed and he says "but I get cold and I like my long sleeves." Well, duh...try staying warm in a spaghetti strap nightie! I like staying warm and comfortable, too!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10105

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review