All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
when's right to start a family?
      #324038 - 02/05/08 12:37 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

How do you know when you're ready to start a family? My husband and i are both really broody and feel mature enough to start one and share our lives with another human being but is this enough?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: when's right to start a family? new
      #324057 - 02/05/08 02:01 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I'm probably not the best person to answer your question. I've never had children and I am no longer able to have children because of an emergency hysterectomy a year ago. But, I would have to say that it should be a true feeling in your heart whether or not you are ready. If you have any doubt or question your decision at all...you aren't ready.

#324070 - 02/05/08 03:32 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Actually, from what I've heard the answer is never . As in you're never fully prepared for everything that parenthood brings. But it seems that most children turn out just fine . I would say you're ready when you and your husband feel it in your heart and know that you will be able to provide for your children both emotionally and financially. I think you should just have this feeling that now it's a good time - that's what my hubby and I will do!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324083 - 02/05/08 05:56 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I agree with Nugget and Zara's answer HOWEVER, you really can't wait until you are financially able because that pretty much will never be! Babies and kids do cost a lot but if you wait until you have enough money, you will never have them. What actually happens when you have kids is it's no more all about you, your children become primary and what you spent your money on before you had kids, you spend on your children! But all in all, you'll know when you are ready. It's just instinct I guess.
Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#324099 - 02/05/08 07:07 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yeah, there is always doubt. Sorry Nugget, but that's the truth. I think it's like Lisa said, when you're ready for life to not be about you anymore. At all. Babies are tiny little dictators and their needs come first all the time. Luckily they are charming, adorable dictators you are biologically compelled to fall completely in love with. Which is helpful, but sometimes, when you haven't slept in days, can't remember why you liked your spouse, and wish you had fifteen minutes to eat dinner in peace, is not quite enough. Then you have to have the patience and perserverance to wait until the next time they snuggle up to you or do something mind blowingly cute, and go from there.

#324129 - 02/06/08 06:35 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I agree with the other ladies...there will always be doubt. No one can (or should) have the kind of confidence where they know 100% that they are ready. Because even if they think they are---they're not!! But trust me you adjust really quickly. Just be ready for your life to change completely, to have to set aside your marriage a little bit, and friendships, and give your all to your kids. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

--------------------

Thank you new
      #324148 - 02/06/08 09:14 AM
welshsarah

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies! You've cleared up a thing or two for me. I've been worrying about finances if we start a family now (we're financially stable now) and all the practical stuff such as me working once we've had a baby and will a two-bedroomed flat be big enough etc. I guess, when it's right all that stuff doesn't matter because if you're both ready to give your love to a child and put it first then the rest doesn't really matter.

Thank you so much again

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Thank you new
      #324160 - 02/06/08 09:51 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

This is something I've been thinking about for the last 3 or 4 years! My husband and I will have been together 6 years next month, we've finished paying off all of our debts (including my $25,000 in student loans) and we are as financially stable as we are ever going to be. However, we want to buy a house before we have kids. The only problem is there is no way in heck that we can afford a house in the city where we live, so we are going to have to relocate. I don't want to work full-time once the kids come so that means we'll need a house affordable enough to live on one income (with a part-time income to supplement). That's a LOT to think about – hubby will have to get a new job (he's been at his current job almost 17 years), with a decent enough pay to support a family, and we'll have to find a cheap but decent house (that's getting difficult almost everywhere in Canada now, though my city is the worst). Whew.

I'm only 29 – and I know that these days a lot of women are putting off having kids until their 30's - and some even later – but I don't want to wait too long. My mother had both her ovaries removed due to benign tumours when she was in her mid-30's, and I don't want something similar happening to me before I've had kids. Plus my husband is almost 12 years older than me – I know it doesn't matter so much with men, but still. His best friend and his wife waited until their mid-30s and "perfectly financially ready" to try and start having kids, and found out that they had fertility problems. They tried all sorts of treatments but, sadly, nothing worked. They can't help but wonder whether if they had started trying earlier, would things have been different?

But as for being financially ready, one of my best friends found out last year that she was pregnant – and she and her husband were far from financially stable. But their baby is almost 6 months old now and they wouldn't change anything for the world – they are just finding ways to make it work. It's amazing how much money you realize you were spending on yourself when suddenly you have a child to spend it on instead. I read somewhere once that a whopping 50% of pregnancies are unplanned, but you don't see all those babies being aborted or put up for adoption. Parents just find a way to make it work!

Anyway I think I've blabbered on here long enough. Just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324168 - 02/06/08 10:01 AM
welshsarah

Thanks Erilyn for your post. It does sound like we're in the same position! We're only renting a one-bedroomed flat at the moment and there's no way we can afford to buy a place because the housing market is ridiculously expensive over here and isn't due to settle for another two years. So, if we have children now will we ever be able to afford a place because we'll be on less income as i'll be working part-time. However, i suppose my husband could get a pay rise in the next couple of years.

Also, my parents brought 3 children up when only my dad was working and earning a low wage. However, they didn't have to pay for their home.

We're probably over complicating matters and need to just go with the flow and go with our hearts.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324175 - 02/06/08 10:15 AM
Erilyn

You're absolutely right – we DO just need to go with the flow!

I've heard the horror stories about the housing market in England, particularly London, and it sounds like it's even worse than it is here. It's just the polar opposite of what is happening in the US right now, just south of the border. Houses are being foreclosed left, right, and centre. Here the prices just keep going up and up and up, and people are actually buying them! I don't get it – it's not like everyone is a doctor or a lawyer. The average Joe can not afford a $750,000 house yet they are selling like hotcakes in my city – and these are just average houses – little 3-bedroom, normal houses!

My husband and I are also just renting a one-bedroom apartment (flat) and we got in at a ridiculously low rent. The law states they are only allowed to raise rent by a certain percentage each year for current tenants, so we've been very lucky. If we move to a two-bedroom apartment we'd be looking at closer to $1000 a month now, and to be honest I'd rather be spending it on a mortgage! If hubby can get a job up north, out of this ridiculously expensive city, where you can still buy a house for a reasonable $150-250,000, then that's what we're going to do. He just needs to get a job!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#324215 - 02/06/08 02:50 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I have to second what everyone else had said. I asked that exact same question about 18 months ago on this very forum. I got a lot of great responses. At the time I was wondering if we were ready. Within a couple of months I knew we were ready because it's all we could talk about & think about. When we finally started trying, we couldn't get pregnant. Fast forward 13 months and we're knee deep in infertility treatments & long for the child that we (so far) can't have. I am 31 years old which isn't considered old when it comes to conception these days. However, as the months tick by I am already older than I wanted to be when we started a family. The moral of my story is- don't wait! If you & DH know that you want a family & are in a stable & loving relationship, go for it! Everything else will fall into place.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#324261 - 02/07/08 08:29 AM
Erilyn

Hi Snowy - yes, that is exactly what we've been told by our friends. We just want to wait another few months while we try to get the house figured out. We've waited this long, I suppose another 3-5 months won't make too much difference...

I wish you the best fo luck with your fertility treatments. My best friend has PCOS and has known since she was 17 that she was infertile. However she and her husband tried all sorts of treatments, and, after 2 years of pills, injections, and a LOT of emotional stress, they were able to conceive and are now the proud parents of healthy, 14-month old twins!

--------------------

#324270 - 02/07/08 09:20 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I agree. But it's something you just can't predict. I am now 7 months pg with one little IVF miracle If you have any questions feel free to ask. There are others on the board as well that have dealt with infertility.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#324271 - 02/07/08 09:28 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

These are all great responses. I guess I should have clarified the "financially stable" a bit, I just meant that a couple should not be just barely living from paycheck to paycheck but have some financial security. Of course, that's my ideal planning, I don't have kids yet so can't talk from my own experience, lol!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Mary new
      #324275 - 02/07/08 10:18 AM
Snowy

I've been on the boards for almost 3 years & even though I never have time to post, I've kind of followed your story. Unfortunately infertility runs in my family so at least I have had a support system that is knowledgeable on the subject. It doesn't make it any easier, but it does help.

I know that struggling to get pg for us has been incredibily humbling. I told my husband last week that I will never again ask anyone when they are going to start a family. It's such a personal question & you never know what someone may be going through. That's been the toughest part for me. Everyone has expected us to start for a few years now so I get the questions every few days. I have to bite my lip & hold back the tears every time.

I have a lot of hope for what the next few months hold for us, especially knowing that it has worked for so many deserving individuals. Congratulations to you & good luck! Only a few more weeks!

--------------------

#324276 - 02/07/08 10:20 AM
Snowy

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I do have a lot of hope. It is very hard as the weeks & months tick by, especially when the infertility process seems to take so long. I am a planner by nature so all of this has totally thrown me for a loop. I just remind myself that it will happen!

--------------------

Re: Mary new
      #324279 - 02/07/08 10:33 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Are you currently undergoing any treatments? It's so tough. And the questions some people ask...so difficult. I had a guy at work that would constantly ask when we were going to have kids (he and his wife have 4 kids and only have to try 1 time! each time...so not fair). I wanted to cry and scream every time he would ask me. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully soon you'll be announcing your pregnancy Like I said, feel free to ask any questions or to just vent. It always helps.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#324333 - 02/08/08 09:10 AM
Snowy

So far I've done all the labwork, my husband has done the semen analysis, and I just had the HSG test this past Monday. Everything has come back normal. My understanding is that the next step is IUI but now we have to switch hospitals & doctors b/c our current one doesn't do infertility.

We have 3 sets of friends who have gotten married in the last 2 years who all had babies before they even made it to their 1-year anniversary. It's amazing that someone people get pregnant on the first try. It's frustrating to know how easy it is for some but even more frustrating when they're the ones asking you when you're going to get pg.

Thanks again! I appreciate the support system. I will make more of an effort to post on a regular basis.

--------------------

#324335 - 02/08/08 09:27 AM
Erilyn

Quote:

We have 3 sets of friends who have gotten married in the last 2 years who all had babies before they even made it to their 1-year anniversary. It's amazing that someone people get pregnant on the first try. It's frustrating to know how easy it is for some but even more frustrating when they're the ones asking you when you're going to get pg.

This happened to my friend. It seemed all of her friends who were getting married were getting pg right away. She got so sick of the question, "so when are you going to have kids?" that she just started looking people in the eye and bluntly responding, "I'm infertile", and just watching the change in the other person's face. Not something everyone could do, of course, but she's always been a very blunt, honest, and open person.

--------------------

#324345 - 02/08/08 10:51 AM
Snowy

That's funny! I too am a very blunt person but so far have refrained from taking that route. We have told very few people that we're going through the infertility process but the few that do know always think they need to offer an opinion. No offense, but until you've been through it yourself, no have no idea! The next time I hear someone say "just relax" or "it will happen when the time is right" or "just have fun with it", I may scream! Sex hasn't been "fun" for months now!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6763

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review