All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: when's right to start a family? new
      #324215 - 02/06/08 02:50 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I have to second what everyone else had said. I asked that exact same question about 18 months ago on this very forum. I got a lot of great responses. At the time I was wondering if we were ready. Within a couple of months I knew we were ready because it's all we could talk about & think about. When we finally started trying, we couldn't get pregnant. Fast forward 13 months and we're knee deep in infertility treatments & long for the child that we (so far) can't have. I am 31 years old which isn't considered old when it comes to conception these days. However, as the months tick by I am already older than I wanted to be when we started a family. The moral of my story is- don't wait! If you & DH know that you want a family & are in a stable & loving relationship, go for it! Everything else will fall into place.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#324261 - 02/07/08 08:29 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi Snowy - yes, that is exactly what we've been told by our friends. We just want to wait another few months while we try to get the house figured out. We've waited this long, I suppose another 3-5 months won't make too much difference...

I wish you the best fo luck with your fertility treatments. My best friend has PCOS and has known since she was 17 that she was infertile. However she and her husband tried all sorts of treatments, and, after 2 years of pills, injections, and a LOT of emotional stress, they were able to conceive and are now the proud parents of healthy, 14-month old twins!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324270 - 02/07/08 09:20 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I agree. But it's something you just can't predict. I am now 7 months pg with one little IVF miracle If you have any questions feel free to ask. There are others on the board as well that have dealt with infertility.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#324271 - 02/07/08 09:28 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

These are all great responses. I guess I should have clarified the "financially stable" a bit, I just meant that a couple should not be just barely living from paycheck to paycheck but have some financial security. Of course, that's my ideal planning, I don't have kids yet so can't talk from my own experience, lol!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Mary new
      #324275 - 02/07/08 10:18 AM
Snowy

I've been on the boards for almost 3 years & even though I never have time to post, I've kind of followed your story. Unfortunately infertility runs in my family so at least I have had a support system that is knowledgeable on the subject. It doesn't make it any easier, but it does help.

I know that struggling to get pg for us has been incredibily humbling. I told my husband last week that I will never again ask anyone when they are going to start a family. It's such a personal question & you never know what someone may be going through. That's been the toughest part for me. Everyone has expected us to start for a few years now so I get the questions every few days. I have to bite my lip & hold back the tears every time.

I have a lot of hope for what the next few months hold for us, especially knowing that it has worked for so many deserving individuals. Congratulations to you & good luck! Only a few more weeks!

--------------------

#324276 - 02/07/08 10:20 AM
Snowy

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I do have a lot of hope. It is very hard as the weeks & months tick by, especially when the infertility process seems to take so long. I am a planner by nature so all of this has totally thrown me for a loop. I just remind myself that it will happen!

--------------------

Re: Mary new
      #324279 - 02/07/08 10:33 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Are you currently undergoing any treatments? It's so tough. And the questions some people ask...so difficult. I had a guy at work that would constantly ask when we were going to have kids (he and his wife have 4 kids and only have to try 1 time! each time...so not fair). I wanted to cry and scream every time he would ask me. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully soon you'll be announcing your pregnancy Like I said, feel free to ask any questions or to just vent. It always helps.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#324333 - 02/08/08 09:10 AM
Snowy

So far I've done all the labwork, my husband has done the semen analysis, and I just had the HSG test this past Monday. Everything has come back normal. My understanding is that the next step is IUI but now we have to switch hospitals & doctors b/c our current one doesn't do infertility.

We have 3 sets of friends who have gotten married in the last 2 years who all had babies before they even made it to their 1-year anniversary. It's amazing that someone people get pregnant on the first try. It's frustrating to know how easy it is for some but even more frustrating when they're the ones asking you when you're going to get pg.

Thanks again! I appreciate the support system. I will make more of an effort to post on a regular basis.

--------------------

#324335 - 02/08/08 09:27 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

We have 3 sets of friends who have gotten married in the last 2 years who all had babies before they even made it to their 1-year anniversary. It's amazing that someone people get pregnant on the first try. It's frustrating to know how easy it is for some but even more frustrating when they're the ones asking you when you're going to get pg.

This happened to my friend. It seemed all of her friends who were getting married were getting pg right away. She got so sick of the question, "so when are you going to have kids?" that she just started looking people in the eye and bluntly responding, "I'm infertile", and just watching the change in the other person's face. Not something everyone could do, of course, but she's always been a very blunt, honest, and open person.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324345 - 02/08/08 10:51 AM
Snowy

That's funny! I too am a very blunt person but so far have refrained from taking that route. We have told very few people that we're going through the infertility process but the few that do know always think they need to offer an opinion. No offense, but until you've been through it yourself, no have no idea! The next time I hear someone say "just relax" or "it will happen when the time is right" or "just have fun with it", I may scream! Sex hasn't been "fun" for months now!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6799

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review