All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I had a car accident
      #323256 - 01/26/08 03:14 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Me and my brand new 2007 Pathfinder got rear ended in traffic this week. The soccer dad's old 2001 minivan that hit me was totaled, but I drove away.

My back is killing me. And my poor new car!! I am equally mad about my back damage and my bumper damage.

It happened during evening rush hour, and I filed a claim immediately and went to emergent care the next morning. Those stoopid doctors prescribed me next to nothing for the pain, and the prednisone they gave me for swelling made my stomach go out 1/2 an hour after I took it.

So it's been lose-lose all around. I see the pain doctor on Tuesday to whine about my back. Now I have to get estimates on my car. Boooooo!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I had a car accident new
      #323265 - 01/26/08 05:18 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! But thank God nothing worse happened to you! When you spoke with your insurance company you told them about your injury, right?
I feel your pain about your car, too. I was involved in a hit and run (a guy hit me and ran away) when my car was new, too. In fact, it was my first own brand new car ever! I could almost feel its pain! But it "healed" well and yours will too

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Thanks Zara new
      #323266 - 01/26/08 06:10 PM
Nelly

Thank you for your kind words! I did tell the insurance company I was getting checked out, and I made sure to pay with checks, to solidify a paper trail. In all it's cost me $145 for the doctor, and another $81 for medicine (I don't have health insurance). So that's sucked, but I should be getting that back.

The good thing is that my claim person called me back and said his determination was that it was the guy who hit me's fault. So yay.

I hope my back doesn't get worse though! I'd just as soon as be done with this whole mess!

~nelly~

#323271 - 01/26/08 06:39 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

So sorry to hear that Nelly. I hope you get to feeling better soon. {{{hugs}}}

Re: Thanks Zara new
      #323274 - 01/26/08 08:15 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Nelly this sucks! I was in an accident last month. It can really shake your body up. Also sometimes you don't feel things until later - so its good you've gotten checked out. I was rear-ended years ago and got whiplash - minor, I didn't have to wear a brace or anything, but it came back several times. I was sorry I took the original settlement check for a few hundred dollars that I got from the other driver's insurance, because I had to keep going back for more treatments to deal with the neck pain. SO, take care of yourself even if you have to put it on a credit card. It sounds like you will be getting an insurance check, probably for more than your medical costs.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Hi Hawkeye new
      #323291 - 01/27/08 05:54 AM
Nelly

Hawkeye! I see you've been here before! I hope your pain is better by this point. My neck and back just seem to get worse, but it's been 2 days, and I know to expect it to be bad at first.

I could really use some advice on how to proceed. Shall I see another doctor besides the emergent care one, like as a follow-up? My problem here is that I'm prescribed a handful of codeine from my PCP, and I don't want that in any insurance file. So I don't want to see my regular doc. They could always say I was driving impaired, which I wasn't, as I had nothing in my system bedsides some innocuous Imodium plus simethicone.

My idea is to go see a new doctor this week, get checked out, and then bill the person at fault, if I need rehab or long-term steroids/therapy, etc. My insurance has already determined it was his fault, and his insurance should get billed. I can get all those referrals through the new doctor, and not stress about having my old medical records get brought up. They can't say I have pre-existing conditions that way, I think.

How long were you in pain? Is it still lingering? I am annoyed at facing a new back problem at 36 that might be bothering me into middle age. I hate it that it happened, and when I get emotional thinking about all the red tape and frustration, it gives me a bit more anxiety... something I really don't need, having just started a stressful desk job on that precarious 3-month probation.

Skipping work for pain or paperwork is really not a good career move right now, while I'm expendable.

Any help or guidance you can give me would be extremely appreciated! {{{gentle hugs}}} Thanks for the input!

~nelly~

#323296 - 01/27/08 06:24 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey Nelly,

I just got in a car accident last weekend. It was the first major one I had ever been in, and it was quite scary. A huge Ford Explorer cut into my lane without even looking, and I barely had time to put my brakes on before we collided. His car had hardly any damage, just some scratches to his rim, while my car (little Toyota Corolla) had the whole right front bumper hanging off, the headlight smashed, and the hood pushed up so the engine was exposed. The thing that really sucked is that when the police showed up, the other driver lied and said he was already stopped when I hit him! I was pissed. And then when my insurance agency assessed the damage on my car, it was deemed a "total loss". So now I have to find a way to get another car . Not to mention the stress of the situation caused an IBS flare that I am still suffering from. So I totally emphasize with you. I hope you get some money from your insurance, and I hope you are feeling better really soon!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Re: Hi Hawkeye new
      #323334 - 01/27/08 02:06 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Have you considered a lawyer? It might seem extreme for a "small" accident, but I think most would not charge you, they'd take a cut of your settlement. Accident lawyers don't exactly have a great reputation - you know all the ambulance-chaser jokes, etc. but its probably worth calling one or two and hearing what they have to say.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#323356 - 01/27/08 05:02 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Poor Nelly!
Sorry to hear!!

I hope your back feels better soon and the dr. prescribes something stronger.

Hope you have a good body shop!! I recommend where my brother works here, but it's too long a trip for you to get the truck here!!

HUGS!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#323371 - 01/27/08 07:32 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope you're feeling better. Back pain sucks. It's the worst!! I've injured my back several times so I feel for you.
BIG HUGS coming your way!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 813 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review