All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I want red meat tonight!
      #322710 - 01/19/08 03:37 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

So how should I prep for it? I want to go to a steak house soooo badly. I can *make* my bf order a steak and get fish or chicken for myself, and just have a few bites of his... I know I won't be able to handle an entire steak.
Got any suggestions?

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I want red meat tonight! new
      #322793 - 01/20/08 12:51 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I went to a steakhouse literally within days of starting this diet. It was my husband's birthday and we always celebrate with another couple because the other guy's birthday is around the same time. We had agreed weeks beforehand that we'd be going out for steak (I didn't know I'd be starting EFI, and didn't want everyone to change their plans on my account).

I ate LOTS of bread. I practically filled up on it. I ordered the smallest cut of steak, and when my dinner came, I literally divided everything in half on my plate. I promised myself I wouldn't eat more than that. And it worked! I was fine.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322865 - 01/21/08 01:23 PM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

Quote:

I went to a steakhouse literally within days of starting this diet. It was my husband's birthday and we always celebrate with another couple because the other guy's birthday is around the same time. We had agreed weeks beforehand that we'd be going out for steak (I didn't know I'd be starting EFI, and didn't want everyone to change their plans on my account).

I ate LOTS of bread. I practically filled up on it. I ordered the smallest cut of steak, and when my dinner came, I literally divided everything in half on my plate. I promised myself I wouldn't eat more than that. And it worked! I was fine.

Would that work for buffet ribs, pizza, fries, sweets, etc.?
Before I knew I had this, I always took the meatiest rib I could find, have 2 pieces of garlic chease pizza at a time, take a bunch of fries as a side, and stuff myself (not too much at once) with sweets.

Guess why I called myself Fatso.

I stopped getting it altogether, but I see it there tempting me and I have to get just a salad (top it with mushrooms).
Now I see lettuce is on Heather's IF list.
Can I still go there now ($7.95 for spaghetti)?

Edited by Fatso (01/21/08 01:37 PM)

#322868 - 01/21/08 01:45 PM
Erilyn

Well, no. It would completely defeat the purpose of the diet. This was a one-time, special case, not something I'm going to try and "get away with" on a regular basis. The only "forbidden" things I ate were half of a small cut of steak, and very minimal amounts of sour cream on my baked potato (I asked for it on the side, and didn't even eat the potato skin, which I LOVE). We were also only 4 minutes away from our friends' house, so I had a safe place to go in case I had an attack.

Even restaurant spaghetti can be loaded with hidden fat – oil, meat or cheese in the sauce. I just wouldn't take the chance.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#322876 - 01/21/08 02:16 PM
Fatso

Quote:

Well, no. It would completely defeat the purpose of the diet. This was a one-time, special case, not something I'm going to try and "get away with" on a regular basis. The only "forbidden" things I ate were half of a small cut of steak, and very minimal amounts of sour cream on my baked potato (I asked for it on the side, and didn't even eat the potato skin, which I LOVE). We were also only 4 minutes away from our friends' house, so I had a safe place to go in case I had an attack.

Even restaurant spaghetti can be loaded with hidden fat – oil, meat or cheese in the sauce. I just wouldn't take the chance.

The only thing I saw in the spaghetti was regular meat sauce.

Potato is bad?
That would have actually been my next thread.

Potato slices (normal cut) lightly fried in vegetable oil (I don't know this for sure) with onion slices.
Why I like it so much is because the onion juices are absorbed in the potato, making the slices soft and flabby.
Surely a soft food like that can't be that bad.

What do you think of fried fish if I cut away the bad stuff (same question for chicken)?
I think the only real problem would be the tarter sauce (gravy if chicken).

#322893 - 01/21/08 04:25 PM
Erilyn

No, potato IS good - potato SKIN is an insoluble fiber and something we have to be careful with. But the white flesh is perfectly fine! I was talking about the skin and the sour cream with regards to the potato - sour cream is dairy and therefore off limits entirely.

--------------------

#322894 - 01/21/08 04:30 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

First I want to say when we go to outback I usually order plain salmon (with out butter or basting) with a sweet potato or regular potato. BUT I ALWAYS eat two or three small bites of my hubby's steak. Usually I am fine because I have ate some bread and the potato from my meal first. Did this on saturday night and I was fine. Plus, I made it here at home and had a few bites with A1 sauce.. so yummY!!!!

Fatso,

There is no way I would be able to go to buffet. Your never know what they put in that stuff??? Everything there is a no no since its all fried and loaded with cheese. If you are following the diet and want to feel better you have to change your mindset and eat more healthier. Plus you will lose weight No more lightly fried or any type of frying. Unless you are using a small amount of pam. If you can tolerate onions, why dont you thinly slice onions and potato's and bake them or microwave them to make yummy chips.No FRIED fish!! use fresh fish and dip in egg whites and breadcrumbs and fry on no stick pan with pam. Mayo or tartersauce is to fatty and dairy so your better with cocktail sauce or fresh salsa.

3rd Potato's are fine and are a great staple for this diet. But no skins!!

Good luck

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#322931 - 01/22/08 10:59 AM
Fatso

I thought I could have a small amount of IF if I balance it with SF.

For instance I'll have garlic bread with spaghetti and meat sauce.

#322932 - 01/22/08 11:17 AM
Fatso

Quote:

Fatso,

There is no way I would be able to go to buffet. Your never know what they put in that stuff??? Everything there is a no no since its all fried and loaded with cheese. If you are following the diet and want to feel better you have to change your mindset and eat more healthier. Plus you will lose weight No more lightly fried or any type of frying. Unless you are using a small amount of pam. If you can tolerate onions, why dont you thinly slice onions and potato's and bake them or microwave them to make yummy chips.No FRIED fish!! use fresh fish and dip in egg whites and breadcrumbs and fry on no stick pan with pam. Mayo or tartersauce is to fatty and dairy so your better with cocktail sauce or fresh salsa.

3rd Potato's are fine and are a great staple for this diet. But no skins!!

Good luck

Well, they do have BBQ chicken and baked or mashed potatoes.
What would you advise for desert?
Can I get peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies?

#322933 - 01/22/08 11:21 AM
Erilyn

Yes, you actually must eat some IF just for good health, but you should always balance it with SF.

As for the garlic bread and meat sauce, I wouldn't advise it. The garlic bread will most likely be made with butter and the meat sauce will most likely have ground beef, which is of course red meat. Red meat is high in fat and strongly discouraged for people with IBS.

--------------------

#322934 - 01/22/08 11:25 AM
Erilyn

Quote:

Well, they do have BBQ chicken and baked or mashed potatoes.
What would you advise for desert?
Can I get peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies?

You are sort of missing the point. All restaurant food, especially something like a buffet, is questionable. The food is prepared quickly and inexpensively, which usually equals high in fat and very low in quality. The BBQ chicken is probably still very high in fat (especially if it is dark meat) and mashed potatoes will likely contain butter and/or milk. Potatoes are safe only if they are not loaded with extra fat and dairy. As for the peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies, they will also likely be made with butter and will surely be high in fat.

--------------------

#322940 - 01/22/08 11:51 AM
Fatso

Quote:

You are sort of missing the point. All restaurant food, especially something like a buffet, is questionable.

If I want to go out with a group, it sounds like the only option is Chinese, which I'm sure you'll say I can't have either.

I'll look around for Microwave stuff, but I want to be included socially.

Edited by Fatso (01/22/08 12:11 PM)

#322947 - 01/22/08 01:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It's not "can't have." It's knowing or learning what your triggers are. Personally, I would eat the fries, but I can tolerate fried food. For a lot of others, it's a big trigger.

There are very few pizzas I will go near. Before I was really stable, once I had a bite of pizza and a bite of salad. About 20 hours later, BAM, a "memorable" attack.

You CAN "be included socially." You just have to choose carefully. If you don't, you have to be ready to deal with the possible consequences.

Personally, so long as I'm not dining at Juan's House of Cheese and Steak, I can find something to eat on just about any menu.

#322948 - 01/22/08 01:43 PM
Erilyn

Quote:

If I want to go out with a group, it sounds like the only option is Chinese, which I'm sure you'll say I can't have either.

I'll look around for Microwave stuff, but I want to be included socially.

We're all in the same boat here, believe me!!! I'm not trying to be difficult, just telling the truth. My husband and I used to go out for dinner at least once or twice a month. My friends like to order in pizza and do BBQs in the summer. My workplace is having free pizza for everyone tomorrow. I can't do ANY of it anymore – at least not the way I used to.

But I'm trying to get better and this diet is one option that I am trying. It doesn't mean you can't EVER go out to eat again, you just won't be able to enjoy the same foods. With a buffet, everything is already prepared. What you get is what you get. If you order your food at a sit-down restaurant, you can ask them not to deep-fry your chicken, or not to put cheese on your pasta, or not put sour cream on your baked potato. You have more options. And Chinese IS safe – as long as you stay away from pork, beef, and the deep-fried items and eat plenty of rice. In fact, ethnic foods (with the exception of high-fat Italian, Greek, and Mexican places) are likely to be your best bet for restaurants. Even some fast food can be made safe – like Subway if you hold the cheese and mayo, and even the Chicken McGrill at McDonald's if you ask them to hold the sauce and just put ketchup and mustard or something on it instead.

If you don't have Heather's book, Eating for IBS, I highly recommend reading it. It will give you a very clear idea of what is safe and what isn't. It's a very quick read – only 37 pages – the rest is all recipes. You may be able to find it at your local library.

--------------------

#322949 - 01/22/08 01:50 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

No there are plenty of choices but you have to eat SAFE food choices. Think healthy lowfat choices ie: Ruby Tuesdays, TGIF Fridays or local family chain. Order Grilled Chicken, steamed veggies, baked potato. Or pasta place get any white pasta with no sauce and use small amounts of olive oil and make it primavera with veggies, mushroom,zucchini, and chopped red tomatoes. I NEVER do a sauce out because its to fatty and has garlic,onions and hidden milk or whatever. Going out with friends is fun. Just make sure to suggest places where you can eat. Yes, you can eat chinese (get steamed chicken or shrimp, scallop with mixed veggies and eat lots of white sticky rice. NO sauce mixed in. Put put duck sauce and small amounts of soy sauce and you are still apart of the party. Or Japanese is always good too. Soba rice noodles lightly stirfried ask for very little oil and you should be fine. Or fresh sushi or grilled salmon or any other fish.

Make a postitive change for you health. As far as snacks and dessert I have once in a while sorbet instead of ice cream when out. Or make your own dairy fat free cookies and bring them with you. I bring mine in a zip lock out with friends and they understand. Sometimes they ask me to share..LOL Since they are so yummy.

When I go to the movies I dont eat the candy or popcorn. I safe snacks I make at home. Chex mix recipe from heather and I love LARA bars. Fruit and nut and they have a jocolat which is make with cocoa.

So you just have to change your mindset and make some other choices. For me it comes natural.. but once you get a hang of it you will be a pro.

JUst think Baked,grilled,broiled NO fried fatty foods,ribs,burgers,chicken parm,veal parm.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#322958 - 01/22/08 03:32 PM
Fatso

auntdebs318, Erilyn, and Snorkie, that makes me feel a lot better, and I plan on getting her book as well (either both books at once or 1 book and IBS kit).

I have fewer choices now, but I can make due.

Snorkie, as far as knowing my limits, I just got this out of the blue (a day before I joined) a while ago and didn't know what to do.

On Sunday I had some orange juice (acidy) at breakfast, and had a massive attack afterwards.
I had cramping in my sides, abdominal pains, and extreme chest pains (not to mention bloating).
I thought the banana I was eating would cancel out the acid.
Now I know to stay away from it.

It's funny how I can eat three Clementines (mini oranges) in a row without feeling any pain and I can't have Tropicana Orange Juice (no pulp).

Edited by Fatso (01/23/08 08:57 PM)

#323056 - 01/23/08 06:42 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

Quote:

Personally, so long as I'm not dining at Juan's House of Cheese and Steak, I can find something to eat on just about any menu.

LOL! That is so funny... And darn those places for being tempting.
FYI, my stomach has not been doing so well as of late. It COULD be due to my meal at Outback Steakhouse. I ordered a salad (which had cheese in it. I took a "lactase" pill) and TWO pork chops with mashed garlic potatoes (which no doubt had loads of butter in them)... aside from the few bites of yummy steak I stole from my bf.
So will I "treat" myself again anytime soon? No!!

Fatso, try to stay away from fried and greasy food in general... Some Chinese food restaurants serve such greasy food!! That is a big no no. Others, however, are perfectly fine. The good ones are usually the more "ritzy" ones. Their dishes don't seem so grease-laden. But definitely try to avoid cheap Chinese takeout. It's so bad for you in regards to fat content.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#323061 - 01/23/08 08:55 PM
Fatso

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! That is so funny... And darn those places for being tempting.
FYI, my stomach has not been doing so well as of late. It COULD be due to my meal at Outback Steakhouse. I ordered a salad (which had cheese in it. I took a "lactase" pill) and TWO pork chops with mashed garlic potatoes (which no doubt had loads of butter in them)... aside from the few bites of yummy steak I stole from my bf.
So will I "treat" myself again anytime soon? No!!

Fatso, try to stay away from fried and greasy food in general... Some Chinese food restaurants serve such greasy food!! That is a big no no. Others, however, are perfectly fine. The good ones are usually the more "ritzy" ones. Their dishes don't seem so grease-laden. But definitely try to avoid cheap Chinese takeout. It's so bad for you in regards to fat content.

I was actually planning on going to a Chinese buffet tomorrow.
They have dry coconut chicken there, but after hearing how coconut promotes C, I'm rethinking it altogether.

I was actually looking for Heather's books today, but they're more then I want to spend, so I'll be looking in the library.

I saw another good book at the store which can be a companion to Eating For IBS.
It's called Recipes For IBS.
You might wanna check it out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4272

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review