All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can I just say that I am sick of doctors???
      #322514 - 01/16/08 09:34 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I tried going to a new GI because my last one had terrible bed side manner and pretty much gave up on even trying to help me when I would call because in his medical opinion, I had done everything I could do.

So, as of late, my IBSD has gotten horrible. My trouble is mainly confined to my mornings, but not always. Sometimes the pain lasts all day. My predominant symptoms are intense abdominal pain, some nasty gas, and at least 2-3 loose, urgent bms every morning. I'm frustrated to no end because having problems crop up like this when I am doing everything right (strict adherence to the diet, peppermint caps, herbal teas, lots of exercise, getting plenty of sleep, doing hypno cds, etc) is just, well, frustrating!

So, I go to the new doc and tell him how my symptoms are back with a vengeance and my pain is escalating back to where it was probably a year or so ago and it's debilitating. It's like someone is wringing out my guts like a wet towel.

His answer: Here's a prescription for Lomotil and if that doesn't work, come back and talk to me about taking Lotronex. Oh, but I don't prescribe Lotronex. I can find someone who will though.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. I don't really know what I expected, but to be shoved out the door with a prescription to something I've already taken without any improvement (as with every other pill prescribed to me thus far) and then offering me a drug that is linked to fatalities (yay) is totally disheartening.

Back to ye olde drawing board I suppose. But this time is so much worse than before. I have lost 10 pounds in a matter of a few weeks just because most days I am not eating nearly enough food during the day for fear of brining on attacks. I know it's not healthy and I can FEEL that. But, I have to work and I can't work when I'm in the bathroom pooping all friggin day long or wallowing in pain.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice? I'm just so low and depressed about always being sick I am really at my wit's end with this stupid disease.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can I just say that I am sick of doctors??? new
      #322519 - 01/16/08 10:00 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Hey Amanda,

Are you able to join us for the support group meeting at the Fair Oaks library on the 26th?

I'm going to start introducing various holistic modalities to the group and we can do some face to face troubleshooting for your symptoms.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#322568 - 01/17/08 01:44 PM
AmandaM

I am pretty sure I will be able to. My dad's birthday is that weekend and he lives out of town, so I've been debating whether I'm going to travel to see him or not. More than likely, I will just stay in Sac. I'd be very interesting in learning about holistic approaches as Western medicine hasn't done anything for me! Btw, where's the Fair Oaks library?

#322569 - 01/17/08 01:56 PM
hohoyumyum

It's at the corner of Fair Oaks Blvd and Madison Ave in Fair Oaks. The address is 11601 Fair Oaks Blvd, Fair Oaks, Ca 95628. The meeting is from 6:45pm to 7:45pm.

At the first meeting, we're going to go over some different holistic approaches, cooking ideas, etc. and then see what people want to start off with at the next meeting. Some I can demo myself, others I'll be bringing people in for.

--------------------

#322704 - 01/19/08 01:08 PM
AmandaM

I've decided that I am so bad off right now with my IBS, that I am going to stick around and attend. I need to take care of myself first right now. I'll be there. Looking forward to hearing about your holistic approaches!!

Sound great! Can you post a reply on the Support Group board saying that you'll be there? new
      #322709 - 01/19/08 02:57 PM
hohoyumyum

It helps when people know others will be there. Click on the link under my signature and it will take you to the board.

--------------------

#322721 - 01/19/08 05:42 PM
lauriek

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Texas

All I can say is hang in there---that's what I'm trying to do myself; I'll go to my 2nd GI doc this coming Thursday; I, too, have to work---I'm an RN.....and believe me I'm as frustrated as I can possibly be...it almost seems as if no one cares anymore. I, too, have lost 10 pounds so far and am having not much luck w/ANY diet.....we must pray and stay in the game of life as much as possible. My son is to be married in PA next month and I don't know what I'm going to do.....

#322771 - 01/20/08 09:19 AM
parandhak

Reged: 01/20/08

I have been suffering from IBS for over 20 years. I have tried almost every medication and over-the-counter remedy available without success. Last December everything escalated with acid reflux at night and terrible attacks after each meal.
My doctor prescribed Protonix (in the morning) and Wel-Chol plus HLC High potency capsule (one each with meals). In addition I take Acacia fiber twice per day.

In one day(!!) all symptoms disappeared. No diarrea, no bloating, no gas and no constant rushing to the bathroom. It's now over a month with zero episodes and although I have no idea if it will last this past month has been nothing short of a miracle after 20 years of IBS suffering. Maybe this works for others as well.

#322803 - 01/20/08 03:21 PM
Magnolia65

Reged: 12/02/07

Yes, you may join the club. Yes, I love (not) getting a prescription that causes fatalities and has been pulled from the market!I have tried acupuncture and she helped me to gain some weight back and the pain stopped, and I could eat. My husband feels she is a "quack" , but I feel from the experience with my Drs. that I'm going to "certified quacks" LOL. I just posted, wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good GI Dr in Eastern MO. I could not tolerate the medicine either-Bentyl-as I have constipation and it makes it worse. The rice, bananas, toast, applesauce (BRAT diet) and the bland foods make the constipation worse, so maybe that will help your diarreah. My friends swear by Citrucel to bulk up the stools and it seems Citrucel causes me less problems than any other I've tried. I relate to your weight loss and fear of eating anything. I'm really new to this site and IBS, so I hope someone will help you with more knowledge than I. I just wanted to say hang in there-there has to be something we can find to eat and a good Dr. Do try acupuncture, though, especially if you know it is IBS and all tests have been run to confirm that DX.

#322808 - 01/20/08 05:02 PM
bbrussie

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: Des Moines

I feel your pain. I have not yet been diagnosed (all those torturous invasive tests were "normal"). I am seeing another GI on Tuesday, the first thought he "knew" I had adhesions from previous surgery, so wasn't looking for anything else. (He never mentioned IBS, I am only now suspecting.)
I am hoping the new doc will have new ideas for me.
This site and IBS is new to me but I am thankful it is here.
I hope you find some answers too!

Has anyone tried calcium carbonate to counteract the D? I just came across some info yesterday: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=72764
I tried 1/2 half of a tablet at dinner and that was too much!

--------------------
Diagnosed February 2008, IBS-D. Trying to get through the day.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3945

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review