All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antidepressants for IBS
      #321738 - 01/05/08 05:33 PM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Just wondering how many of you out there are taking antidepressants for your IBS. If you are, what one and what dose, and are they helping? I'm doing some research and would appreciate any responses - thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antidepressants for IBS new
      #321757 - 01/06/08 12:16 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

That would be me....But I'm having trouble remembering the name of the first thing I tried which I didn't like. I'll edit this if I think of it. I'm currently on Buspar, which I don't think does much for me, but I'm not ready to go off of it anxiety-wise. I was taking both buspar and zoloft which for a while seemed to be helpful, and then stopped seeming to work. That kind of sums up all of the different things I've tried for IBS. It tends to work for a while and then my system adjusts and gets back to its normal state of Ibs. (I'm IBS-D) which goes against what Heather's book says about Zoloft but I'm sure that it helped reduce my d episodes by a lot. For about 2 years.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#321859 - 01/07/08 03:14 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

10 mg of amitriptyline (Elavil) at night and I'm following the EFI diet.

#321860 - 01/07/08 03:16 PM
anneshep

Reged: 01/07/08

HI, I'm new here. Had been having severe bouts of ibs-d everyday. I could repeat all your stories of the anxiety, running, fear and accidents . A friend started taking Elavil(amitriptyline) for IBS and did so well I asked the dr. to let me try. He said it is now the drug of choice for ibs. I started at 10mgs and increased by 10 each week until now I'm on 75. A blessed relief! I still worry - especially when we go to NYC for a play! but it has really helped. Have you tried it? I hope you are feeling better!
Anne

#322084 - 01/09/08 06:34 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Elavil 20mg at night. I've been on it for almost 1 year now and it has improved my IBS-D tremendously! It did take a good 3 months or so to "kick in" fully but I can honestly say that being on it for 10mths has helped me. I'm on a very low dose so the side effects for me are minimal. I have gained about 6lbs in 10 months which was greatly needed for me since I now can say I weigh about 91 pounds!! Yay!!!!! I say give it a try. I don't know the long term effects of it but my gastro said I shouldn't become resistant to it and if I do, I guess I "up" the dosage. But for now 20mg/day is working! Good luck!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#322164 - 01/10/08 09:43 PM
SouthernBabies

Reged: 01/10/08

I was on 50mg zoloft in day time and 25mg elavil at bed time.
and then the doc increased my zoloft to 100mg cause it wasnt working out and took me off elavil and added in Levsin which is supposed to be for belly pain and slow down digestion and control the big D. But it hasnt done anything yet. I liked being on elavil most of all. I go back to the doc end of this month and am going to ask to see if i can drop zoloft and just try elavil. I have been off elavil for 3 weeks now and i cant sleep, and i have bad headaches again as well as more belly pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review