All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
omg I'm so upset right now
      #321681 - 01/04/08 08:19 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I gave the place that I worked three years... This month was three years since I started and today my boss comes up to me saying that my posistion has been eliminated... What the F**K does that mean? Well, boys and girls, it means that after three years they decided I wasn't as a valued employee as they thought and booted my ass out the door... I don't knw what I'm going to do. I have no where else to go.. I'm sooo upset right now and can't stop crying.. People that do less wrk than I did, infact, i did most of her work because she bitched how she was too busy (and would then visit with people insted of doing her damn job) and I'm the one *let go*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: omg I'm so upset right now new
      #321698 - 01/05/08 06:41 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

First of all calm down, take a few deep breaths. Something will work out. I have been hearing a lot of this lately. It might not even be you. Companys are struggling as the Economy is decreasing. My sales meeting is this week so who know what my company is up too since we are majorly struggling. Its scary.. They just let go of a lot of our outside salesman and some top producers?? I am praying I am not on the next list but being prepared if thats the case.

Well at least you will be able to collect if they let you go that way. That happened to my sis last year and she collected Unemployment until she found another job.

Good luck...hugs**********

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#321704 - 01/05/08 08:13 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Aww, I'm sorry. I know how much that sucks. I got let go in September because of "budget cuts" from a place I'd been at for almost six years and served as interim director for half a year. I got an entire TWO days notice. Yeah, thanks. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Anyway, chin up! Polish up your resume. Network! Tell everyone you know you are job-hunting. Look everywhere you can think of for new positions - online, local paper, employment office, etc. Take advantage of any free jobhunting or resume workshops in your community. I don't know if you have unemployment in Canada, but if you do, don't feel bad about filing for it.

It's their loss they let you go. You WILL find a new, better job.

I won't say I didn't have rough days, especially the first week or two, but I did better when I reminded myself to keep a positive additude and to be open to new ideas about how I could earn a paycheck.

I lucked out. I found a new job within six weeks with more responsibility, better pay, and better environment than where I was before.

It royally sucks losing a job, but try to think of it as an opportunity. I'll send good vibes your way, for whatever that's worth! Hang in there and good luck! I hope you find something as soon as I did.

#321708 - 01/05/08 09:10 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

UGH! Hang in there - people have already given you the advice I would have. Network network network. I've gotten jobs on my own, but it sure is easier when you know someone who can vouch for the quality of your work.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#321709 - 01/05/08 09:13 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh Chris!! I'm sorry!That totally sucks!

While I don't know what you can do about the other person make sure for yourself that your boss is following the Labour Code. Did they give you appropriate notice? After three years I think it is 6 weeks. Or are they giving you severance - which would be 6 weeks pay at your current rate. Also, make sure they are really eliminating the position and not just saying they are. Human rights issues can pop up too - watch for any slander, etc. If you need advice on any labour issue call the labour board asap!! I went the H*L* at my last job and did contact the labour board to get my overtime pay.

Knowing how much S*it you put up with at that job in the past, maybe this is a good thing though. You are smart, and with your skills you should have no problem finding somewhere better suited to you. I know it sucks right now. I feel for you. Hopefully another better, well paying, opportunity is just around the corner for you.

HUGS!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#321731 - 01/05/08 02:28 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

That's awful, I'm so sorry! Make sure you get everything you are entitled to - employment laws vary by province so what applies in Ontario or here in BC may not be the same in Alberta. I know in BC they are required to give you 1 week of severance for every year that you have worked for a company (up to like 14 weeks or something), so that would be 3 weeks of pay. They also definitely need to give you a certain amount of notice. A LOT of employers are sneaky and assume people don't know the rules and therefore pay no attention to either notice OR severance pay. You should be able to look up the Alberta Labour Act online. They must also pay you out any unclaimed holiday and/or accumulated overtime pay.

Since you have been working for three years you will definitely qualify for Employment Insurance. I have filed for EI in the past - there is definitely no shame in it. You pay a premium on every one of your paycheques so you might as well take advantage of the benefit.

I don't know what industry you are in but I don't think you will have much trouble finding another job. Canada's economy is red-hot right now, and it's particularly so here in the West. Chin up and stay positive!!!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: update.. new
      #321739 - 01/05/08 05:48 PM
Dajara

It's been about 24 hours since I was *layed off* from my job at a GM dealership here in town. I had to interviews today and have two maybe three on monday. I went to a chrysler dealership and apparently they loved me and my resume so now it just depends on what the owners say but hey, have a general manager really liking you is a good start, especially since I have only been unemployed for one day right?
There is also a law office that is desperate for a receptionist and after basicly being a customer retention person, this shouldn't be so bad maybe? there is hope?

#321752 - 01/06/08 09:22 AM
Snorkie

Sounds like you are doing great, tackling the hunt head on!
That's fantastic that you've already had a couple of interviews and have a couple more lined up. Good luck!!

sounds like a great start! -nt new
      #321756 - 01/06/08 12:12 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#321800 - 01/07/08 06:58 AM
Miaon2better

Reged: 01/03/08
Loc: Puget Sound; West Of Seattle as the gull flies

If you feel wrongly fired... you might consider finding an attorney. Since you feel you did more work than the other person who was kept. Could they have possibly let you go due to your illness? If so, then you may have a case for discrimination even. Just a thought.

#321834 - 01/07/08 12:54 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I got canned a few months ago in a totally unbelievably awful fashion, without warning, and felt just as frustrated, betrayed and whatnot as you do. The fact that you actually have interviews within 24 hours of your being terminated should drive home the advice I was going to give you initially having been through this: Trust in yourself and just do what you can. Set realistic expectations and try to let go of the crap your last boss pulled on you and move forward. They don't deserve you and you WILL find someone who appreciates your dedication and hard work!

Best of luck in your interviews! I am sure something will pan out soon!

I have a new job... new
      #322163 - 01/10/08 09:42 PM
Dajara

So today I was hired on at a different dealership. It's a posistion which is very simillar to what I was doing before but now I don't get a cushy little office and no time to slack like I could before.. but that isn't really a bad thing right? actually being busy and not having down time?

and the best part of it, it's a very minor paycut. Before it was a yearly salary and a monthly bonus. I no longer have the bonus but I recieved the same yearly amount. so really it's only 100-200 less a month than before and that's not all that bad right?

Re: I have a new job... new
      #322201 - 01/11/08 04:13 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

That's great! Congrats on the new job! And so quickly too! Losing the perks and the bonus is a bummer, but considering the circumstances I don't think you've done too badly for yourself. Good luck at the new place!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322208 - 01/11/08 06:45 PM
Snorkie

YAY! I'm so glad you found something so soon.

#322217 - 01/12/08 05:17 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Yeah!!! awesome!! boy that was so fast, I hope works out well now. Good luck in the new job!

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 588 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review