Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
panic panic blah blah blah an attempt not to post the same old sh&*
      #321676 - 01/04/08 06:46 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hi Everyone,

I just wrote and deleted a long note about being panicked and why me, and why can't I get over this, my usual rant. I think you've all heard it from me enough though. I'm at the house I grew up in, in the second hour of an ibs/panic episode. I think I'm much more anxious and panicky after my car accident this week. So, here are some things I"m noticing in myself and wondering about. (While still feeling like crap, I'm trying to keep my mind off of it).
1. My anxiety isn't affected by the cramps going away. Tonight my gut is finally easing after hyosciamine, heat pack and hot tea. Still I feel equally miserable/panicked that it will be back and worse. Once the anxiety revs up I think its maybe harder to calm than my stomach. Maybe I should be taking a xanax instead of hyosciamine. I have them but never use them. I think I will take one tonight before bed.

2. When I'm stressed or anxious, I have fleeting "you're going to get sick tonight" thoughts all day long. I don't know how to stop them or quiet them. Its kind of like OCD except I'm not counting or washing or whatever, just "sicking"

3. When I'm like this, I have no real discernment of how bad my stomach feels. Just "miserable" or fine. So when I"m very anxious a little stomach ache, in my mind I'm envisioning the beginnings of food poisoning and another trip to the ER after 24 hours of what I consider the worst kind of illness possible.

4. It seems worse to call my wife over for some comforting. When she comes I tend to cry, act more panicked, hyperventilate. I do that less without her with me. Why is that? Am I putting on a show for her? B/C she's less than impressed, and its not helping my marriage any. Tonight I didn't ask her to come in, and I didn't get (YET) to that crying hyperventilating panic attack.

I've done so much talk therapy, emdr, acupuncture, AD's, A.A's, feldenkrais, hypnosis cds, Alexander, tai chi, more and more. Not sure where to go from here.
3 things on my mind are Cog. Beh. Therapy, Hypnotherapy in person not cd, and starting to smoke pot Pot would be easiest to fit into my busy schedule! Any votes? Suggestions?

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: panic panic blah blah blah an attempt not to post the same old sh&* new
      #321689 - 01/05/08 04:32 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I have had my share of crying/hyperventilating attacks in the past. So don't feel like you're the only one. I have been seeing a psychologist for almost 2 years now, and that has been a HUGE help. She does cognitive behavoiral therapy. She has given lots of good techniques for reducing my anxiety...both before it starts and after it has already started. I would highly recommend it. I still have more anxiety than I would like...but no attacks or anything. Just every day kind of stuff. Someday I'm hoping to try an AD to get the last little bit under control. But I'm pregnant right now, so it's not an option. Have you tried keeping some kind of journal? That has been a big help for me. When I write things out it's easier to let them go. I often do that before a big event or trip. When I acknowledge my anxieties about going somewhere...and realize that a lot of it is out of my control, then I get more relaxed. No sense worrying about something I can't control anyway, right? Good luck with whatever you decide to try (except the pot).

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#321695 - 01/05/08 06:24 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Hawkeye..

not that I smoke pot now but as a stupid 21 yr old i tried it. Even know you might think it will relax you some it has the opposite results paronoid. People prone to anxiety shouldnt try that as an option. However, I do take Ativan which is another form of Zanax and I take a half at night when my IBS flares and I cant fall alseep or if my mind keeps going (like you example of OCD). Try that first since it is an anti anxiety made for relaxation.

As far as the wife goes, I have read your posts before and it seems like she is alittle insensitive to your situation. Perhaps you should have her read heathers book. Maybe that will give her some insight of what you go through on a daily basis. Helped with my hubby.

Hugs** you will get through this

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

TO MARY new
      #321696 - 01/05/08 06:27 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Congrats are the pregnancy!!! How far are you along now. Just curious how your anxiety is while preggo? We are TTC and my doc said some people prone to panic the anxiety might surface more with the increase of hormones.

Thanks,

Deb

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: TO MARY new
      #321705 - 01/05/08 08:26 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Deb,

I'll reply in a separate post so this topic doesn't take over.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#321707 - 01/05/08 09:08 AM
hawkeye

Thanks everyone. I was mostly tongue in cheek about the pot thing. I've tried and it just never worked out well for me. I thnk cognitive beh. therapy is in my future, and I've gotten two referrals but they're so far from my home that I keep delaying. I'm going to call them and see if they can recommend someone nearer to me. As for my wife, she's sympathetic to a degree, but its true that she doesn't really get it. She's been blessed with very good health so she doesnt' fully understand what its like to deal with it all the time. I tried having her read heather's book or to listen to the hypno cd for friends and family that comes with the ibs100 but no luck so far -

--------------------

#321710 - 01/05/08 09:17 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Panic is in my blood (mum, grandma) so I feel for you too. My mum once claimed me from emerg where I was hiding curled in a ball UNDER the stretcher. It was a bad attack. I didn't know what to do so I went to emerg. I figured it was the safest place for me.
As for you, hmmm. Yes, definately need to try some different therapy. My best friend did cog. beh. and it is like night and day the improvement in her life. She also did another therapy I'll find the name out of as it helped her unlock all the suppressed emotion and feelings from things in the past which were causing her anxiety and depression.

Don't start smoking up for the time being, hang in there. I find screaming sometimes helps!!

HUGS!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#321712 - 01/05/08 09:20 AM
hawkeye

Cassandra,

I feel like you really get what I put myelf through! I am def. going to pursue new therapy. What your friend did sounds like EMDR, which I tried but it left me worse off. I uncovered some emotional things that filled in a lot of the story for me, but it didn't really help me move on. In fact I felt more emotionally vulnerable for quite a while after it. Maybe the person I did it with wasn't skilled enough, but I've heard from a therapist friend that he stopped using the technique for the very same reason.

--------------------

#321718 - 01/05/08 10:23 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Not to strike up a huge debate, but I credit pot in helping to get my IBS into remission (before becoming pregnant). It works for some people.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: I'm the same way! Any advice for me on seeking a psychologist? new
      #321838 - 01/07/08 01:17 PM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

Hawkeye,
Wow, I feel like we are one in the same, minus the sexual plumbing. Anyways, I have a similar thing with anxiety- I pretty much have obsessive thoughts most days that i'm going to get the stomach flu or food poisoning. So much so that I eat out maybe once a month tops, and always at one of the same restaurants off a short list I've compiled as "safe" and "clean." If I have the slightest inkling something might be wrong with me i freak out much like you, give myself diarrhea, and cry and hyperventilate...usually to my boyfriend. It's an awful cycle. I hate to say it, but i have smoked pot for relief, only at night if i have no plans, and it usually does the trick. I'm seeking a psychologist now, for help dealing with the anxiety. I'm not a fan of medication, the idea of side effects, really really scares me. Does anyone have advice about seeking psychologists? What to ask and how to decide on one?

#321849 - 01/07/08 02:46 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I wish I had some advice to give you. I've been dealing with anxiety and panic too, and although I've been getting better over the last three years I'm still on Buspar and still taking lorazepam as needed (several times a month). Accepting that I'll probably never be panic free has helped to alleviate some of the frustration and guilt I feel about it and I think that's help with my general anxiety. I did see a counselor and tried some CBT and that did help, so it is worth a try. I haven't tried pot since I've heard that in the long run it can actually cause more anxiety.

Best wishes. If you do try CBT, would you please let us know how it works out for you?

#321894 - 01/07/08 08:20 PM
hawkeye

I have restaurant issues! - I always check the bathroom and try to glance into the kitchen. I don't know about guidelines to find a therapist. There are so many different schools of therapy, and you would have to ask what type of therapy they practice and then read up on it a bit I guess. I've gone to people who were referred by friends or family or something like that.

--------------------

#321944 - 01/08/08 11:26 AM
LMo

There's been times that I've psyched myself out of even drinking water from restaurants if I don't think it's clean enough. It really affects my social life, it's hard to go out with friends, and when I do I'm an anxious mess the whole time, and afterwards I question for hours if I'm okay or if there's something wrong with what I ate. Plus, I always choose off the menu based on what I believe would be hard to poison, like pasta is usually a safe bet, fish a definite no-no...yeah...i need help...Well I suppose I'll just do a search based on my insurance, spin in a circle and see which one my finger lands on! Ha!

LMo: I could have written your post! new
      #321983 - 01/08/08 05:39 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

LMo,
I usually post in the IBS Diet message board but for something different I checked this one out. I am telling you I could have written your post! I kindof chalked my anxiety up to being OCD. My hands bleed because I wash and sanitize them so much because I am so afraid of getting the stomach flu. I am a first grade teacher and if a child even coughs in my direction I immedietly think I am going to get sick. I have thought about changing my profession because I am so obessesed with the thought of getting the stomach flu. I dont obsess about getting things like the common cold or anything else... just the stomach flu. Also I am the same way with side effects. I read every label of every medicine and if a side effect is vomiting, I wont take it. I mean this sounds so crazy, but I am so glad to hear someone else have anxiety about this. I never used to be like this. My husband calls me a germ-a-phobe but honestly I feel it goes beyond that. I also get so paranoid about cooking chicken all the way that I would rather burn it just to make sure. How do you deal with this? I am thinking about seeing a psychitrist but I need to figure this whole IBS thing out first. I dont know how this all started!

Stefanie

Re: LMo: I could have written your post! new
      #321984 - 01/08/08 06:08 PM
hawkeye

Yes we're all somewhat identical in this it seems. I'm a teacher too - its a crazy choice to have made considering! More later.....

--------------------

#321988 - 01/08/08 07:32 PM
steffiejoy

Hawkeye,
When I chose teaching, IBS wasnt even a glimmer in my eye. In retrospect, perhaps I would have chosen something else, but honestly I dont know what else I would do! Teaching has been all I've ever wanted to do. And really I do enjoy it. This is technically my first year. I taught preschool for two years after I graduated from college. I live in Cleveland, Ohio... finding an elementary teaching position is near impossible. But finally I found a first grade opening in a really bad part of Cleveland, but hey its a start right! I am getting my Praxis 3 in a month or so. That stress I am sure will just help the IBS! I just dont seem to know to get rid of the anxiety, germ-phobe, paranoia that I seem to have. No matter what I try, every day its on my mind and at times it takes over my mind. I am pretty sure my husband thinks I'm nuts! Honestly I dont blame him! Its just good to hear that I am not the only one. Hope youre feeling well.

Stefanie

#322019 - 01/09/08 09:11 AM
LMo

How strange! I'm applying to grad school for my MFA in hopes to become a publishing writer and teach at a University level--not nearly as germy as elementary school you brave girl!--but still lately I've been thinking about being around all those germs and it's been freaking me out. I work from home now, so I'm fairly isolated and have a very controlled environment. Although it's comfortable, I'm sure it's also enabling my anxiety and OCD. I actually became a vegetarian in 5th grade when mad cow disease was rampant and a few years later cut out all meat (in large part of my paranoia). Man the three of us would make quite a dinner party! We could all take turns hyperventilating and over-analyzing our food!

The problem with the whole thing, and this is obvious I'm sure, but it really reduces the quality of life and I certainly don't want to look back at the way I've lived and consider myself a fool. I always think if I end up with some awful disease I'll be like, what a waste, i was an idiot that whole time. Worried about a 24 hour bug or food poisoning--things that go away in a day or 2. A woman who works with my boyfriend has cancer, and there's nothing they can do for her anymore to get rid of it, only give her treatments to prolong her life. Then I look at myself and really feel obnoxious. Still, a few hours or so after my epiphany I'm right back at it again!

Stomach flu... new
      #322053 - 01/09/08 01:07 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi friends. Reading everyone's post really hit me this afternoon. Yesterday morning I started feeling the nausea and had a mild breakdown at work. I left my classroom for about 10 min and just cried in the backroom. I was so scared I was going to be sick. Well, the waves of nausea passed and I taught the rest of the day. Came home still not feeling great. Cancelled the LOVELY dinner reservations we had for my husband's bday. (boooo) I tried to eat a bagel and it all went bad. I'll avoid details since I know how difficult this topic is for you, but I def. have the stomach flu. I was up all night with it bad from both ends. It was a disaster. Today I do feel better, but am shaky and feel like my confidence is shot. I wish I could just say, "ok, this was a bug. it'll end soon enough and i'll be ok"....but I'm already worrying about work the next few days. I am about 300x better with my anxiety related to IBS, but boy did I have some anxiety kick in when it came time for a stomach bug. Deep breathing has helped today...along with about 3 LONG naps.
Anyway, I am making it through well and just wanted to say I understand... and I am a teacher as well. crazy we all chose that profession when we know it's so germ crazy. Literally, I've been sick for about 5 months with colds and all. yuck!
Hope you're all better than me today!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Hawkeye new
      #322087 - 01/09/08 06:40 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Don't worry, your posts never get old. I can relate as I have anxiety, emitaphobia, germaphobia ect too! I do just want to quickly respond to something you said in your post and that is that when I'm feeling anxious or having anxiety, my husband doesn't ever know. I feel that if I tell him about it I'm giving in to it so for me, it's better just to let the anxiety pass on it's own without anyone knowing! I see it worked better for you the last time when you said you didn't tell your wife. Look at it as I do. Don't let it take over you. You take IT over! You'll feel much better! I don't think it's a matter of masking it like you said, I think it's just that when we feel anxious we know we can/should work through it on are own and it will make us feel that if we do it once, we can do it again!
Hope you are feeling better!!!
P.S. As far as the pot thing....my neighbor who has both anxiety and IBS SWEARS by it! I've been have tempted but just can't bring myself to try it. I don't even smoke cigarettes!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Edited by LittleLisa (01/09/08 06:42 PM)

#322088 - 01/09/08 06:54 PM
hawkeye

Thanks Lisa. This has been such a rough few weeks for me with my car accident and hearing about my friend who died, that I have been on the edge of panic each day and especially night.

I'm actually feeling miserable right now. My anxiety is so high - I have a little fever and throat is closing up but I have convinced myself that this is a stomach bug. Its getting insane! I've never had a stomach flu that began with a sore throat! But its beyond rational thought. I can tell myself that this is obviously a cold or the flu - as in upper respiratory, but I still get stuck in the panic.

Its also partly that my mind gets tripped into this mode when I hear about someone else getting sick. I heard 2 people say they had a stomach bug today, and then got home and read the email on this thread from someone describing her illness. Thats all I needed to go into overdrive.

I think I need to take the xanax that is sitting and being ignored. I don't trust it for some reason. I think it may be because the panic gives a false sense of control - as in I'm freaking out, so I'm somehow in a twisted way being vigilant against getting sick. If I take something that stops the panic than I'm not protecting myself. I think that could be how my unconscious/subconscious operates.

So I'm here analyzing each and every stomach sensation. Its not a way to live. Like someone else said, I don't want to be on my deathbed and realize how much time and energy I wasted on useless worry. I'm going to find a new therapist and try CBT. Its time for a new step towards reducing this.
Thanks for listening.

--------------------

Re: Hawkeye - re wife new
      #322089 - 01/09/08 07:01 PM
hawkeye

Lisa, What you said about not telling actually makes sense, even though I usually try not to hide a thing from my wife. In this case, I always feel as if I'm acting out some childhood drama - seeing if she'll accept and comfort me when I'm feeling panicked and somewhat helpless. It never feels healthy, and its never satisfying either (!) because she doesn't get it, and even when she tries she still makes it clear that she's not fully understanding of why I can't get past this. So why continue? It doesn't help either of us. I'm going to try what you said, but not tonight as I already shared my current state with her.
Thanks.

--------------------

#322112 - 01/10/08 08:58 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I understand what you are going through. I get anxiety alot, too. I try real hard to think about something peaceful, etc., but it's hard and my mind always seems to go back to my stomach and "what if?" thoughts. I hate it. Just know we all understand and are going through the same thing. {{{hugs}}}

Re: Hawkeye, germ-phobes and anxiety new
      #322145 - 01/10/08 03:03 PM
steffiejoy

Hawkeye,I know exactly how you feel. All someone has to say is stomach flu and I am immediately nervous. I've gone without eating because someone around me had the stomach flu. And youre right, no matter what the symtoms are... sore throat... for whatever reason stomach flu is the first thing that I start freaking out about. I wonder why any of this is! I never used to be like this... ever! I've always worked with kids and was never such a germ-a-phobe. I dont know what changed in me. Maybe its the IBS? Did the anxiety come from having IBS? I dont understand any of it.

I am also really sorry to hear about your friend and your accident. And like you said and LMo said... when we worry like this the quality of life just sucks. I dont want to be like this anymore, but its hard to change. Maybe I should see someone. Its just good to know that I am not the only one who feels like this. I also try to remember that serenity prayer- accepting the things we cannot change. There is nothing we can do about it... if we get a stomach bug.. we get one. We can only wash and sanitize our hands so much (mine bleed because I do it so much!). And like LMo and Aly said... we know it will be over and in about a day we will feel much better, but for some reason our minds dont work like that. Argh. Hope youre both feeling better!

Stefanie

#322146 - 01/10/08 03:46 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey, the reason it sounds like I understand is because I do!! I was a teenage mess for a number of years. Lots of counselling and ADs (not good when you're a teen) and lots of fits and crying and stomache aches and closing myself into my own little world for a while - I get what you're going through!! The best thing to remember is YOU CAN GET THROUGH THIS!!

And that's why we're here - remember "I get by with a little help from my friends..."

HUGS!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

little bit better today new
      #322159 - 01/10/08 07:27 PM
hawkeye

I've got a cold or something but I'm doing a little better anxiety-wise. This afternoon my daughter, who has been a TERRIBLE two lately, crawled in my lap and cuddled for about 10 minutes. I just felt something inside me soften, and even felt different in my thoughts immediately somehow. After that i went to work, and was fine and continue to be a bit better. Its not gone, but its better somehow. I guess I needed a 10 minute hug!

Thanks everyone, all of your posts have helped too, for me to not feel alone in this. I'm going to be more active about tracking down a therapist, and will keep everyone posted I"m sure.

--------------------

Re: little bit better today new
      #322182 - 01/11/08 08:49 AM
LMo

I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better, hawkeye.
I made an appointment yesterday with a psychologist for next Tuesday, so we'll see how that goes. I'm feeling motivated. But she did mention medication on the phone, and that's something I'm not comfortable with. I'm afraid of side effects, afraid it'll make me sick or make me gain weight. She seemed content to know it was anxiety and ocd, and said that there's alot of successful therapy for people with those problems. I kept thinking, well you haven't met me yet...! Still, I 'm hopeful.

Re: little bit better today new
      #322184 - 01/11/08 09:52 AM
hawkeye

Thanks. Today is sort of half and half. yesterday I felt a little better. I need to try therapy again, I've already done a ton though, and I'm on an anti-anxiety med, but obviously its not doing the trick! I'm trying to track down a good cognitive-behavioral therapist. I've already done more traditional therapy, where I dug deep into the causes of this and understood them, I think, but understanding the root of it didn't help change my reactions like it does for some people.

--------------------

#322257 - 01/13/08 12:13 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Please don't feel like it's the same cr*p when you vent! We hear every word. Before I have an attack I stress like mad, but nothing close to what you're describing... Have you tried provoking a stomach attack to get it over with? IBS is very time consuming and inconvenient (to say the veeery least). I sometimes provoke an attack when it interferes with other commitments, like my bedtime! No use being up in the middle of the night for hours, when I can give myself an attack at 4pm and get it out of me. Maybe tho it's a D thing. Empty is better! Then I can overload on antispasmodics and pain relief and be safe (relative to being a loaded gun) before I go to bed. {{{HUGS to you!}}}

~nelly~

Re: Stomach flu... Aly- can you help me, its my turn to have it now! new
      #322302 - 01/14/08 09:21 AM
steffiejoy

Aly,
I unfortunetly came down with the stomach flu this past Saturday night. My main symptom has been major cramps and lots of bad "d". So this is day 3 and I still have some "d". So I am wondering, did you have "d" with your stomach flu and if so did you take imodium? I was wondering if I should, but I was also wondering if that would be a bad thing because I was thinking that the "d" is my bodys way of flushing out the virus so if I take imodium and stop the "d" is that just going to prolong my virus? Argh, this was the last thing I needed! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This has been a very different kind of stomach bug for me, so I kinda dont know if I should try to resolve it or just suck it up and let it run its course, but I dont want to miss another day of work. Thanks for your help!

Stefanie

#322331 - 01/14/08 02:35 PM
Aly

Hi Steffie...
Boy do I feel your pain! So, I had horrible nausea and vomiting for one day/evening and then had D the next day. I let the D go for about a day and a half and then finally gave in and took an immodium, as I was supposed to go out with some friends. It helped the cramping and D a whole lot and I was glad I took it. However, that was on Thursday evening. Today is Monday and I FINALLY just had a BM. And this BM came with horrible cramping and stomach pains on and off all day... But the D was so bad I really needed the relief from the immodium. So, I am for taking it and feeling like getting some sanity back in my life. My Mom is a nurse and always says that if the D really needs to come out, one immodium certainly won't stop it....so that always makes me feel like I'm not stopping the virus.
Hope this helps at all...it's so difficult to deal with this when IBS is already in our lives!!! Let me know how you are feeling.
The plus of this whole mess is that I ended up losing about 5 lbs and still don't have much of an appetite! lol
Alyson

--------------------
IBS-A

#322332 - 01/14/08 02:54 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks for your help Aly! I too have lost 5 pounds which I figure is one plus thats come out of this! I have never had a stomach bug like this before. It all started Saturday for me and I had mild vomiting but major cramping and major D. Sunday was better but still some cramping and D. Now today the cramping seems to be gone and I had one round of D. I havent taken and imodium yet, but if tommorow (when I plan on going back to work) I am still having D, I will take one. I was able to eat some chicken broth today and a piece of plain white toast. I've been sipping on ginger ale and water too. I figure tonight I will have a 1/2 cup of plain white rice. I have heard of the BRAT diet for D: bananas, rice, apples and toast. I'm gonna skip the bananas and apples though! Argh, I hope it all clears up tommorow. I guess just a lovely perk of being a first grade teacher right?! Thanks again for your help!

Stefanie

#322346 - 01/14/08 06:09 PM
Aly

How are you feeling tonight? I am a teacher too! I teach at a place called Gymboree Play and Music-- I pretty much run around with 15 kids and their grown ups for 45 minutes per class. It's a wonderful job, but SO difficult when you aren't feeling well. There isn't anyone to cover classes as our staff is so small... so last week I ended up throwing up during class! (of course I made it to the bathroom...but just!)
Anyway, hang in there and I'm hoping for a happy CALM belly day tomorrow for both of us! XO!

--------------------
IBS-A

#322405 - 01/15/08 03:14 PM
steffiejoy

Hey Aly! Today I am feeling better thanks for asking! This morning I was pretty weak and tired. But I havent eaten in two days and I lost 8 pounds cause of all this. How are you feeling? I noticed you are from Ohio too, I think Ohio has been hit pretty hard with this flu bug. I know a lot of people who have had it. I know what you mean about no appetite, I havent gotten mine back yet. I teach at a place called Hope Academy in the inner city of Cleveland. I teach first grade. I love teaching first grade, but sometimes I wonder about my profession... between all this IBS running to the bathroom stuff and now the stomach flu, schools are just a haven for germs and sickness. But what are you going to do? Teaching is what I've always wanted to do! Well, anyways thanks for your help through it. Hope youre doing well!!

Stefanie

Re: Stomach flu... it's not just in Ohio! new
      #322414 - 01/15/08 04:47 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I just wanted to butt my nose in and give my two cents. I am also an elementary school teacher (special ed, grades 3 and 4) and in December a horrible stomach flu/virus was going around our school. Needless to say, I of course caught it and thought I was literally going to die for 3 days straight. Like you, though, I barely ate anything during that time and just drank water or sipped on chicken soup and the D went away. Once the D subsided, I had a horrible stomach ache, worse even than period pains, which lasted almost a whole day. But then they left as quickly as they began and I was back to normal in a few days (well, normal by IBS standards). So Ohio is not the only place the sickness is going around -- it's here in Maryland as well. And I know what you mean about being a teacher. I can't imagine doing anything else with my life because I love it and the kids so much. But IBS certainly does make it difficult sometimes, especially since I have been having such gas issues lately -- gotta love the usual immature kid reaction of "Ewwwww, someone farted!" Luckily, they never seem to think to blame me, hehe . Good luck with the rest of your school year!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

So Long For Now! new
      #322418 - 01/15/08 05:25 PM
hawkeye

I'm not leaving the boards, but I leave this thread to those of you who can stomach it! I can't read these posts, they're freaking me out much more! I hope you all feel better soon. For my own part, I've started getting some referrals for therapists and for hypno and also biofeedback which my father has been telling me to try for 25 years.....

--------------------

#322433 - 01/16/08 12:08 AM
Haythioius

Reged: 01/15/08

Well I know nothing about panic attacks and what not, I am only 14 so I can't be of too much help. But I find when my parents try to talk to me about it and comfort me I begin to cry also. When I am alone I can control myself fine, it's just when people ask me about it. I have no idea why that is, so I will keep an eye on this and see everyone's replies. Hopefully someone knows.

#322454 - 01/16/08 09:30 AM
Aly

it really is going around! I just posted another post, but I think I just got the stomach flu again. one week later. I'm miserable!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-A

#322583 - 01/17/08 05:17 PM
steffiejoy

Oh my goodness Aly, I cant believe you got it again! Thats horrible! Is it just like how you had it last week? Maybe this one is food poisioning? Ugh, I hate this time of year! I think us IBSers seem to have it worse with catching things like this. If our stomach doesnt hate us enough! I dont know what the weather has been like in Columbus or Maryland, but in Cleveland.. it was 65 degrees and 29 degrees all in the span of one week! I mean thats gotta be a huge reason why we get sick. I want to move somewhere warm! Fortunetly its "records day" at work tommorow so no sick kids! We all need a break! Hope you feel better!

Stefanie

Re: gotta love kids! new
      #322584 - 01/17/08 05:18 PM
steffiejoy

Hehe..there has been many times when I have passed gas and because I teach first graders they just blame each other. Gotta love it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17661

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review