Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pregnant Advice
      #321647 - 01/04/08 10:01 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hello all:

I'm hoping all you mommies can offer some advice (reassurance). I'm 5 weeks pregnant and am having horrible IBS attacks. The cramps are only relieved after passing gas or having D. Last year I had a miscarriage, so I am terrified with every cramp.

I've read some previous pregnancy posts that say this is normal. So I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance and maybe some advice on getting them to go away without drugs? Right now I'm doing the heating pad and peppermint tea thing.

Even though I don't post regularly, I do lurk a lot! Hopefully I can find some time to start posting more.

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnant Advice new
      #321649 - 01/04/08 10:20 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I don't have any advise.... but wanted to send my support your way!! {{hugs}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#321671 - 01/04/08 03:37 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I thought you weren't supposed to use a heating pad while pregnant??!!

There is one safe drug that I know of, I'm currently TTC. Dicyclomine (Bentyl) is what I take for really bad gas cramps and pain, and it's totally safe to take during pregnancy.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#321683 - 01/04/08 10:00 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Here is a great link...... web page and they do list heating pads as something to avoid.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#321685 - 01/04/08 10:50 PM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a great link...... web page and they do list heating pads as something to avoid.

Actually my doctor said I could use it as long as I had a comforter or something padded in between the heating pad and my tummy.

My doctor also told me about Bentyl, but unfortunately I've tried that drug in the past and it hasn't worked for me.

Thanks for the concern/advice, though!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#321687 - 01/05/08 04:16 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

First, congrats on your pregnancy!!! Very exciting. Are you taking any fiber? I'm more of a c, but I find that fiber supplements help calm things. I'm 24 week pg right now, and I've been taking Citrucel the whole time.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#321743 - 01/05/08 07:23 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, Jennifer:

CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!

The first trimester is so nerve-wracking, and IBS cramping only makes it worse! My only real advice for you is to remind yourself that it feels like your IBS, not like menstrual cramping. If D or gas makes it better, it's your gut. (I know you know that, but I also know the mental game the first tri brings. I'm sure your history makes it worse.)

I hope that helps the reassurance part. I don't really have advice except maybe a warm (not hot) bath.

Congrats again!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#321750 - 01/06/08 08:17 AM
Jennifer Rose

Thanks Mary and Christine!

It figures that when I jump on the IBS diet again, I turn C. lol The citrucel bugs my stomach acid so I think I'm going to try Heather's acacia again. I'm hoping that will help make me regular.

Thanks again for the advice. Now that I've made it past the point where I miscarried last time, I'm starting to relax a little more.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#322245 - 01/13/08 09:22 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hang in there, honey! I know you're scared, but 5 - 7 weeks were the absolute worst for me. I was so nauseous, running to the bathroom... the good news is you will start to feel better soon. You probably won't feel really good till about 12 weeks, but the worse ones are the earlier ones. Your body is changing dramatically and those hormones are going nuts. It's just your body's way of reacting to all the changes. Just try to relax as much as possible. Try lots of ginger tea. It's better for nausea than peppermint.
Also, lots of soda crackers. Try not to let your stomach get empty. I know - hard to do when you're not feeling well, but I found it worse when I let my stomach get empty - I felt sicker and didn't want to eat which made me feel worse. Try nibbling on soda crackers all day long. Really small amounts frequently.
It'll be OK, sweetie. What's happening has happened to so many of us. Just breathe through it and take extra good care of yourself.
XOXO, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#322248 - 01/13/08 10:35 AM
Jennifer Rose

Thanks Hans! Ugh, I can't wait until all the IBS stuff goes away. And I definitely noticing I get really nauseous when I'm hungry or tired. I've been eating snacks ever 2 hours.

The more pregnant I feel, the more the worry goes away. I'm starting to relax more and get excited.

Thanks again for the advice.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 567 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review