All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Just an update
      #321581 - 01/03/08 09:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have been putting all my time into researching about my recent dx of sarcoidosis. As many of you remember, I have been ill for many years now, got many dx's, including rheumatoid arthritis (ra) and saw more dr's than I can count.

After a recent hospital stay, where they also found two pulmonary embolisms (pe's) and three deep vein thrombosis (dvt's) and a heart condition called prolonged QT. A cat scan in the hospital showed nodules growing in my chest, it is literally full of these growths. A mediastinal biopsy showed it to be sarcoidosis.

Sarc for short, is most commonly called an auto-immune disease. However, they do know that it is caused from a pathogen and that's what starts the autoimmune process. Since they thought I had some sort of auto immune (ai) disease all alone, like ra, I ran the gamut of drugs for ai diseases.

It wasn't until just before I was hospitalized and I stopped all my medications that the nodules showed up enough to be diagnosed as the sarc. Sarcoidosis causes your lmph system to go haywire and cause nodules to grow where they shouldn't. Most of the time its in the lungs. A lot of people will take some steroids and be done with it. Than they are people like me, who have a terrible systemic case of it.

The list of symptoms I have from the sarc is extensive but to give you an idea-5 miscarriages, joint swelling and extreme pain, fatigue like you can't even imagine, light sensitive, migraines, did I mention PAIN, shortness of breath, I could go on and on. Suffice it to say, it can be very debilitating.

Ok, so now we know what it is-off to the pulmonologist to figure out how to treat it. He says I have already been on all the drugs the fda approves to treat it-he called the University of Michigan and the Henry Ford hospitals and they had no idea what to do with me. My rheumatologist said she uses humira, which is a biological ra drug, off label to treat it so I start back on that.

The only clinical trials going on now are using the biological drugs like enbrel, humira and remicaid. I was previously on humira for over a year and it only helped minimally to suppress it. So, that leaves me with notta!

Some dr's are using an antibiotic called minocin to treat it. In fact there is a theory or two that a lot of auto immune diseases are caused by pathogens and some people with sarcoidosis and ra and such and seeing improvement in their diseases.

So, I have been researching this theory intensely. I think I am going to see if I can find a dr who is familiar with the Marshall protocol. Here is the web site, it has a lot of info and claims it can help with cfs, fibro, and a host of ai diseases http://www.marshallprotocol.com/category1/.

The general gist is opposite of current thinking. Right now, they try to suppress our immune systems thinking they have gone haywire and are attacking our own bodies. The Marshall protocol and some other researchers believe that pathogens are responsible for this immune system haywire. So, instead of suppressing the immune system, they give you a drug that boosts your immune system then systematically adds in different antibiotics to kill off these pathogens. As these pathogens die off, they release toxins and can make you sicker. Its a long, hard process, the disease should be in remission in 12-18 months or so but it may take many years to kill all the pathogens in your body.

Its a complicated process involving the removal of vit D from your diet and avoiding the sun and bright lights. Its just a protocol, meaning it has not even been studied in clinical trials yet. Its hard to find a dr familiar enough with it to treat me. I am still looking in fact.

Its a very hard decision to make as you really have to commit to it. However, nothing else has worked so I am really thinking about it. A lot of it revolves around vit D, which in its active form is actually a powerful steroid, so I am waiting on some blood test results to see if they match what the study says.

My head is swimming with all the information and different opinions. Its so hard to know what to do. I have been feeling a little bit better, my pain levels are down but I still have a lot of swelling and I am no where near good or normal.

So, that's the latest news with me. If anyone happens to be familiar with the MP, please speak up!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just an update new
      #321586 - 01/03/08 10:55 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Michele, I am always impressed with your perserverence, your knowledge and your ability to relate that knowledge to others. It seems like you have a pretty crappy disease to deal with and not a lot of good treatment options. But it seems to make sense that if the immune system is compromised it might be better to build it up than suppress it. Haven't checked out the MP site yet, but will. A couple of my docs want me to see a rheumy (high sed rate and c-reactive protein) but I've been hesitant. I'm still reeling from the July dx of diabetes. I dread my doc appointments next week and what my labs might say. You are certainly a lot braver and determined than I am. I just flopped into depression and anxiety and ate cake.

I think you should become a patient advocate. Maybe an MD and an advocate and malpractice lawyer as well. Might as well cover all bases. Glad to hear there is some symptom improvement. I hope it will continue and you will increasingly feel better.

Susie

#321592 - 01/03/08 12:23 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Michele,
I am so proud of you. You will kick this disease with your perseverance and attitude. I'm glad you are trying new and different things to get well. I am still a big believer that fungus remains a plausible cause for a lot of our illnesses and diseases. I came a cross a few articles that I thought you may find interesting to read that mention sarcoidosis and fungus. As well, AV Constantini, former head of the World Health Organization has linked the 2 together. Just mentioning it, in case you wish to look into it further. Use it as you wish. Here they are:

http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/64/1/36.pdf

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410708_3

and a link about fungal infections that is informative to read as well:

http://www.healthresearch.com/yeast.htm

That being said, I am glad to hear there are doctors out there who are finally able to help you. Please keep us posted on your progress. We care! Thinking about you.......

Kim

#321605 - 01/03/08 03:34 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hey Michele!

I'm so glad to hear that you are finally on a path that seems to be headed in the right direction. How wonderful that must feel for you! As you said, it's going to be a long, difficult road, but if anyone can handle it, you certainly can! I think about you more often than you know, and I hope that one day you will wake up in the morning, pain free, and without a worry in the world!! Take care of yourself, and I look forward to hearing more of your updates! Hugs to you!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#321607 - 01/03/08 04:36 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Michele,

Ironic - I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are doing and here's your update!
I'm really happy you have a real diagnosis. I'm very sad though that you have already run the gauntlet with all the drugs out there. I'm very proud of you for researching an alternative. I wish I could find an alternative treatment for my migraines, but so far they all just help temporarily.
You are an extremely strong, driven individual. I'm sure that you will find a dr who will treat you with the MP treatment.

As always, I'm waving my magic wand and wishing you well.

Take care of you and HUGS!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#321610 - 01/03/08 04:41 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Michele, I am much like you in that I read everything in sight when I need/want to know about something. Often my head is also spinning with information so I know how you feel. It sounds like you've finally relaxed a bit into this diagnosis. As awful as this thing is, it must be a relief to finally know what's really going on.

Good luck to you in making your decisions.
I send big hugs your way.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: susie2 new
      #321657 - 01/04/08 12:01 PM
michele

A high sed and c reactive protein levels do mean there is some sort of inflammation going on in your body so you should check it out. I know that going to dr to dr to dr and getting bad news all the time pretty much sucks but its best to know what we are up against!

Do have you the diabetes under control? That can cause some inflammation problems such as gout so please do make that rheumy appt!

Don't think for a moment that I haven't had some major depressive episodes and eaten my fair share of cake!

--------------------

Re: Kim123 new
      #321659 - 01/04/08 12:50 PM
michele

Thanks for the links, will read them later when the boss isn't here! The docs did mention the fungal thing when I was in the hospital because yes, a fungal infection can sometimes mimic sarc. The biopsy was positive for sarc and the cultures were negative for fungi. However, the dr I am starting to confer with is an infectious disease guy and I think he is into the odder stuff so I a sure it will be revisited again!

--------------------

Re: lisa marie new
      #321660 - 01/04/08 12:52 PM
michele

Thanks for your ever encouraging words! I hope to that I will be pain free one day and without such worries! Maybe with all the support and love from people like you, that just might happen!

--------------------

Re: Toady new
      #321663 - 01/04/08 01:47 PM
michele

Keep waving that magic wand!

Migraines are the pitts, luckily its been a few months since I have had one. The meds work ok for me, as long as I stay in a dark room with no noise, I can get them to go away. Have they figured out what causes yours?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 494 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12141

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review