All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight Loss and Diabetes
      #321294 - 12/29/07 08:53 AM
Lubinski

Reged: 12/29/07

I have lost 72 pounds in the past two years by following a moderate protein/fat low carb diet. I need to lose another 50 or 70 pounds, but have developed IBS-C which is terrible. When I eat the soluble fiber diet, I immediately start cravings carbs again and gaining weight back. I need advice on how to use soluble carbs to control the IBS but not crave carbs and gain back all the weight I've lost. Any suggestions?
Skeeter

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Loss and Diabetes new
      #321309 - 12/29/07 02:19 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I found the best way to lose weight was to really limit my fat intake. I keep to 40 grams or so a day and I haven't put any of the 65-70 lbs back on that I've lost. That, and staying as active as I can. Swimming, walking, yoga, etc.

No idea how to control your cravings though - I'm a starchoholic!

Good Luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Weight Loss and Diabetes new
      #321317 - 12/29/07 08:33 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I am reading an interesting book called "The Schwarzbein Principle." It has some invaluable information as to why we crave carbohydrates. One of the reasons Dr.Schwarzbein says that women especially crave them is due to low estrogen levels, because estrogen is one of the hormones needed for serotonin production. She recommends eating protein with every meal, healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, etc...) and eat nothing processed or weird human-made things like nitrates, olestra, etc...as well as why sugars (maltose, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup) messes with our metabolism. She has some great info that someone without an endocrinology degree can understand. She has much info as well about diabetes...I would recommend you checking out her book if you can. Keeping active(as Toady suggested) 30 mins a day helps with the serotonin levels.
I hope you find some answers soon!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review