All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
uh-oh, post-surgery problem....
      #321160 - 12/24/07 01:07 PM
colettewoolf

Reged: 10/28/06

Hi friends:

thank you all for your congrats on the removal of my gallbladder. I still am glad about it, but I'm facing an unforseen problem now: very bad constipation, due to the painkillers.
I know this is not uncommon, but given my extreme stomach issues I'm afraid it's worse than usual. I've had to take hydrocodone for the past several days, for incision pain. But since Thursday, when I had my operation, I have not moved my bowels -- four days and counting. My surgeon prescribed a stool softener, then dried prunes, then milk of magnesia. Nothing has worked, even though I was also taking Heather's wonderful acacia fiber, and I'm sad to say I'm now getting quite nauseous -- a symptom I thought I'd said goodbe to, with my GB gone. Today the doc told me to get back on a liquid diet (big fun on Xmas!), walk more, and have some coffee. I did all that, and it was great to walk on such a crisp, sunny day. But so far, nothin' shaking. Forget the Xmas dinner I'm cooking -- I'm just getting desperate for my system to get ungummed and start working again.

Any thoughts, ideas?

It's funny -- I was really scared about having out of control diarrhea, which some people have post-BG surgery. And the problem is the opposite! Though after years of IBS, I know it can swing violently in the opposite direction at any time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: uh-oh, post-surgery problem.... new
      #321170 - 12/25/07 05:57 AM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I'd try a Ducolax suppository and/or a fleet enema at this point since you've tried so many things already. Sounds like you need a fresh start. I'd also try to get off the hydrocodone and switch to XS tylenol. I had my gb out earlier this year and I know that stuff can be very constipating.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Booo C new
      #321175 - 12/25/07 08:44 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm a straight D... I never get C unless it's due to painkillers. And then it can be rough. I can get nauseous. So my thing is that I take a benefiber pill (usually takes 24 hours to start moving things) and I drink lots of hot water. Or warm water, that's good too.

The other thing is that I fast. Fasting, hot water and benefiber are the only things that have worked for me. Oh, and I discontinue the med that's making me C. Usually it's codeine, hydrocodone or a combo of the two.

Also: have you tried eating something on your banned list? At the very worst, at least you've eaten something naughty at the end of the day...

~nelly~

Re: Booo C new
      #321193 - 12/26/07 12:09 AM
colettewoolf

Hi all -- merry xmas!

Tried to reply earlier, but I don't think it got saved. Sorry if it did, and this is redundant.

Thanks for the good ideas & comments. I'm now in a familiar place: vacillating between C and D. Things are now moving...but too fast! So I just enjoyed Christmas dinner (why not?) and took some Cholestryamine.

But the biggest thing I want to keep in mind is: being positive. Think kindly about my gut. Being glad I got rid of my GB, which really was a mess. And trying to see the upside instead of adding more stress, and gut-wrench. And even though I'm back with my old "friend" D, there's no pain! And the pain & cramps of before were terrible.

So, back to a careful low-fat diet until I know what I can eat now safely, taking pain meds but as low a dose (of the hydrocone) as possible, the acacia fiber and teas (ginger, chammomile and fennel are best for me) and just trying to be good to be myself, recoup from the surgery and meditate on being a healthy person in 2008.

The Cholestryamine, used a lot now for D, is something that has helped me in the past with just a few days' dosage. I'm hoping for that.

What's also great is having a place to share these ups and downs, and hopefully to make others know they are not alone dealing with similar things. Tummy stuff can be so rough on the soul, as well as the body. But we're all in this together, right?

Hope you are feeling well....

#321206 - 12/26/07 11:43 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Since I am predominantly C I tried to stay away from the painkillers I was given post gallbladder surgery. I did take some the first day, but it also made me feel a little "woozy" whick I didn't like so I just took extra strength Tylenol. I didn't seem to have as much pain as some people have had though. So I could tolerate just the Tylenol. I think that I had been so miserable before the surgery that the post surgery pain was nothing compared to what I had been dealing with for a year and a half! Anyway, I have also used Miralax with success and try to drink lots of water. Good luck - hope you're feeling better. Believe me, I know what it's like to be constipated - no fun :-(

#321208 - 12/26/07 12:07 PM
colettewoolf

Thanks Pixie -- your messages are SO helpful.

talked with the doc today. He's a very responsive surgeon, and tells me to call him as much as I need to! Just nice to hear that!
Anyway, he urged me not to jump to conclusions that I now have post-gall bladder surgery syndrome, which he says only is a major issue for 5 percent of surgery recipients. He reminded me that I'd taken three heavy doses of Milk of Magnesia, which is a major "purgative." He says "keep it clean," don't pile on too many more drugs, eat very light and low-fat for a while, take as little pain meds as possible and give my system a chance to balance out. "You just had major surgery less than a week ago," he reminded me.
I was teary after talking to him, because I realized how these years of suffering with stomach stuff have just made me so stressed out and anxious about it. Again, I'm recommiting to trying to lower the anxiety level. I'm drinking stuff with electrolytes to make up for all the D, had a very light breakfast of egg and toast which stayed with me, went to a sale and bought some great Christmas clothes bargains and wrapping paper (for next year!), and am going to have some ginger tea and go to bed for the rest of the afternoon. Some time-released eight-hour Tylenol is handling the incision pain well enough to avoid the harsh painkillers, which is what the doc thinks screwed up my tummy.
Pixie, you are so right about the relief of doing this -- if you could see the photo of my GB you'd know what it was doing to me! I'm taking heart in your support and good outcome.
Yes, we do tend to become Type A's, at least where our tummies are concerned. It's totally understandable, but I don't want to make things worse than they need to be.

#321239 - 12/27/07 01:10 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I just wanted to add in here if I may! I had a double mastectomy about 5 months ago and had not even considered the problems with my stomache I would have after it. But I was inthe hospital for 3 days after it and had not gone once and then did not go for the next 3 days at home. I used an enema for the first time to no avail, then on Doctor's orderd I used a suppository which did nothing for me at all. I finally went on the 6th day using Sennokot which I hate using because of the cramps I get. Since then I have had lots more surgeries and refuse to take the painkillers they give me when I go home. I was in a lot of pain but at least I was able to go to the bathroom! Does anyone know a solution to that or is it really just cut and dry, there is none?

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#353508 - 12/28/09 04:26 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hi Colette,

I'm sure you will be fine in a few days. Walk as much as you can, even if it is from room to room in your house. Drink as much of Heather's teas as you can. Liquids are very good for getting the intestines 'unkinked' after an abdominal surgery. Intestines need to re-arrange themselves to a comfortable position to avoid an ileus. Just keep doing what you are doing, and do avoid prescription pain meds if you possibly can. They make people feel better, but they can also slow down the actual recovery time in the abdominal area.

You're doing great!... whether you realize this or not. You might also want to read some of the past posts around adjusting your diet when you no longer have a gallbladder. Some dietary adjustments are worthly of wise consideration.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

By the way... new
      #353509 - 12/28/09 04:34 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

By the way, you might try lying on the floor flat on your back, raising your knees to your chest and spreading knees apart some to see if you might be able to pass some gas. I know this sounds silly, but if you can get the air moving and passing out of your gut, it won't be long before you will need to head for the toilet.

Make sure you take your toilet plunger along with you, as you just might need it if it's been a few days without passing any stool...

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review