All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
hello all
      #320220 - 12/07/07 06:01 AM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I have been posting on the eating for ibs boards on and off for a while, but I thought I'd try posting here for once, because I usually don't get many responses on the other board. I was just wondering if anyone here had dealt witha major illness alongside IBS? I was diagnosed with breast cancer about 5 months ago and am not done with my treatment yet. I have been having a hard time dealing with both the cancer and the IBS together. The pain meds I was prescribed would cause constipation which I already have so i simply wouldn't take them, etc...etc..then dealing with the chemo on top of it every 3 weeks. It's just hard because it's hard for people to take me serious about my IBS when I have something serious like cancer as well. How has anyone else handled something like this?
Thank!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hello all new
      #320221 - 12/07/07 06:17 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there!

I haven't experienced what you are going through, but I do know what it's like to have multiple health issues. I got a paralysis condition when I was 12 (back in 1991) which made me paralyzed from waist to toes. Luckily I recovered pretty well but still have a partly paralyzed leg and bladder emptying problems plus nerve damaged pelvic floor muscles which means I don't have normal sphincter control, which of course in combination with IBS-D is no fun. So the last year I have been through tests and treatment and am waiting for surgery to try to fix this sphincter control problem. I have also had nerve pain in the pelvic region since 1999.

I understand what you mean though when you mention how a drug meant to fix one problem can make another problem worse. I find my IBS, nerve pain and bladder issues are not the best combination as whatever you do to try to make one thing better chances are it will affect the other problems in some way too.

I hope you get more answers to this post! Hang in there.

Hugs,

Ulrika

#320239 - 12/07/07 11:00 AM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

Wow that certainly sounds like a lot to go through at once! You seem to be pretty positive through all that, I've read some of your other posts before and you always seem to have a pretty good attitude to good for you.
I am having a big problem with all the meds I'm on it's very hard to tell which side effect is from the chemo, the IBS or if not one of those one of the drugs I'm on. I cannot wait until it's over! It's just hard for my boyfriend to understand when I am more frustrated about my IBS than about my cancer. To him the cancer is the biggest problem but in my head I know that will be gone soon so I am more worried about the Ibs since I know I will have to deal with that for a long time. He's still the greatest though because at least I have a boyfriend who knows I have IBS and gets that I can't eat everything. At least when the cancer is gone I will have only supplements and IBS to deal with!
Thanks for responding and I hope everything goes well for you too!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#320250 - 12/07/07 02:13 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Have you tried the hypnotherapy? I am in the middle of the program and I really like it. I find it really relaxing. Maybe it could help you deal with both the IBS and your treatments.

/Ulrika

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1402

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review