All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Slow functioning gallbladders
      #319710 - 11/29/07 07:41 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

First, sorry this is a double post....but there are many who don't visit the eating message board. So, sorry if I am breaking a rule...but I'm really needing some feedback.

I have noticed that many of you have have slow functioning gallbladders. My questions are:

1. did you have it removed or not?
2. Was it causing you any specific type of pain or symptoms?
3.Are you better after the removal...or are IBS symptoms worse or non-changed?
4. Did you doctor tell you to have it removed?

I also had a hida scan and it showed that my gallbladder was functioning at less than 8%...but I don't think I have any different pain from it than the usual IBS symptoms. My doctor does not want to remove it because I don't have "gallbladder pain". So, what exactly is gallbladder pain? He is also worried that removing it may the IBS to worsen (chronic D syndrome some get) and that it definitely will not help the IBS. He also thinks that diet should improve the functioning once I get medically more nourished.

I would do anything to feel better with this IBS. I need to make a decision about whether to go against the GI and my PCP opinion and just try anything to feel better.

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for reading.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Slow functioning gallbladders new
      #319722 - 11/29/07 08:36 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"He also thinks that diet should improve the functioning once I get medically more nourished."

Yes he's right, you could improve your gallbladder function with proper nutrition and herbs. Does he have any advice on how to do this though? If not maybe try seeing a naturopath who can work with you on this. At least give this a shot before considering removal, which is a final solution. I'm not sure what the best foods for treating gallbladder problems are, but I'm sure a nutritionist or naturopath could help you.

Gallbladder pain is typically located right where the gallbladder is (upper right abdomen) and usually happens right after eating a meal.

--------------------
Kat

#319729 - 11/29/07 09:47 AM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

Mine was slow functioning and getting worse. Everytime I ate I got severe nausea and doubled over in pain. They checked for stones and there were none. Needless to say I had it removed. It made my D worse but I'm able to control it for the most part with daily intake of soluble fiber (Benefiber). I'm able to eat about anything I want now without fear of hanging out over the toilet

gallbladder question new
      #319730 - 11/29/07 09:58 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

For anyone who can answer: What are the symptoms of a malfunctioning gall bladder? All I have is gas, pain, and explosive D, but no upper GI issues like nausea.

~nelly~

#319750 - 11/29/07 12:56 PM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Hi! I just had my gallbladder removed on the 16th, and I am so glad I did. My symptoms were almost constant nausea and epigastric pain (middle to right) which occured mostly after eating, but hanging around for long afterward. And then there were the occasional episodes that would wake me at night and make me sick to my stomach and doubled over in pain for hours. I also did not have gallstones, and it took over a year to have the HIDA scan done, which was suggested by my family doc and not my GI doc. My ejection fraction was 11%. My symptoms had been getting progressively worse over the past year and a half to the point where I had lost 30 pounds since I didn't know what to eat anymore - everything made me sick. Every doc I saw was skeptical since during the HIDA scan it didn't recreate the same pain and nausea, but I attribute that to having an acupuncture treatment the day before, which I believe held the symptoms at bay. I was so frustrated and fed up that I decided on the surgery.

It takes the body 4-6 weeks to get used to not having a gallbladder and the surgeon suggested adding fats back in slowly, which I have been doing. So far so good. I do seem to have looser stools for now (I am predominantly C so for me that's ok!) but no D. I've been told that this will subside. I take Heather's fiber daily which I think helps keep the stools fairly formed. I haven't expanded my eating horizons too much yet since it will only be 2 weeks since the surgery tomorrow. But I have no more nausea or epigastric pain and I actually have an appetite!

I know that I will probably always have some GI issues, but I am feeling so much better and I am so glad I followed my gut (so to speak!) and went ahead with the surgery. I have heard that the surgery can cause problems with D in people with IBS, but for me - well, I'm doing just fine.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Oh, and by the way, diet-wise, it's mostly the fats that cause problems, so for now I'd stick to a low fat diet and small portions.

#319776 - 11/29/07 06:56 PM
leahmarie

Reged: 11/28/07
Loc: Midwest

I know this sounds scary but I never had any IBS problems until after I had my gallbladder out. I had it out in 2005 when I was 18. Prior to the removal I got instantly sick to my stomach after eating and got a TERRIBLE pain underneath the right side of my rib cage. I didn't have problems with D or C before my gallbladder problems but then a few months after the surgery I started to experience C. I was diagnosed with IBS in august 2006 and with colitis just this past september. Having my gallbladder out significantly improved the way I felt after I ate. However, I don't know if it is related to the surgery but I am more C now than anyone I have ever met. I just can't seem to find anything to help me. I hope this adds to your pros and cons list. Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you.

--------------------
Leah-----
IBS-C predominant, gas, cramps, bloating, uncomfortable... oh and some colitis to top it all off

#319784 - 11/30/07 03:11 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I just like pixiegoddess had my gallbladder taken out 2 weeks ago. It was only functioning at 10%. I wasn't having typical symptoms, just constant pain which I thought was IBS related. With diet changes the c is totally under control and I am taking protonix for reflux. I can say with them taking the gallbladder out, the pain is gone. Right now the only pain I have is that dull ache from the surgery if I move the wrong way which will go away. The surgeon did say I may not have had IBS all along, she has seen people before that were misdiagnosed. As time goes on, we'll know for sure if my other symptoms return. I'm trying some cheese to test things out. I don't eat meat or high-fat stuff anyhow, so we'll see. Crossing my fingers that the surgeon was right. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Thanks everyone new
      #319792 - 11/30/07 07:14 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm not sure what is best for me to do. I don't have the nausea that most of you mentioned. Maybe I am just too underweight. But, I keep wondering how I cannot try removing it to see if it helps. Then I read stories about IBS being worse for some of you. I just don't know.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3039

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review