Now go home and pass out.

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To everybody who survived Thnksgvg... new
      #319387 - 11/23/07 05:18 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Why thank you! I was at fiance's parents in their one-bathroom apartment, but everything went fine! That always amazes me, but the food is usually fairly safe, so cool. How'd everyone else do?

Re: To everybody who survived Thnksgvg... new
      #319394 - 11/23/07 07:47 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

After all my whining, I actually did mine twice, once on Thursday with my mom, and then back again on Friday with my mom, brother and his kid. My bro arbitrarily reschedules holidays around his schedule, regardless of anyone else's feelings/schedules/consideration. I've had my birthday rescheduled. It's annoying.

But I'm free, freeee!! I ate only what I brought with me, and now I'm snuggled with my DBF at home, watching movies and drinking red kool-aid.

~nelly~ (Red kool-aid grin)

post survival meltdown? new
      #319406 - 11/24/07 07:40 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Glad you had a good one or two thanksgivings! I always survive fine and break down later. I think thats what's happening to me right now. I'm feeling queasy and exhausted and panicked. My usual trio.
BTW, I've been trying something new for the last few weeks to deal with my phobia over throwing up. I'm wondering what people think of it. Everytime I think about it which is on and off each day, I bring my attention back on my breathing as best I can and tell myself breathing calmly and noticing how I'm feeling right at this moment is the only preparation there is for the inevitability of getting sick. I used to try to talk myself down saying not this time, this is a false alarm, etc. But then I just would build more and more drama for the next time - i.e. "this time isn't a false alarm- it can't be i feel too awful!" Now I'm treating each moment of panic as a practice for calmly as possible facing the pain and lack of control that get me so scared.
It sounds good when i write it here! Its a major undertaking. I've been practicing freaking out over this since I was a kid and I'm very good at it.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: post survival meltdown? new
      #319524 - 11/26/07 06:14 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hawkeye,
I think your breathing and calming technique is wonderful!! You know I'm HUGELY phoebic too. Everytime I'm queasy I have to breath and count or recite something over and over and over until it passes.
A couple weeks ago I think I had the flu, but couldn't call in sick as I had interviews that day to hire my replacement at my old job. I kept repeating my mantra until the nausea passed - over 1.5 hours! But it works for me.

I'm glad you are finding something that is working for you!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#319534 - 11/26/07 09:28 PM
hawkeye

Thanks! I went through it again the other night - last night actually. Today I've been feeling kind of positive about it - like I actually took a decent step toward facing down my fears. Many many more steps to go, but still. I wonder if there's any realy hope of getting past this - or if its like alcoholism where you consider yourself a recovering emetaphobe for the rest of your life?
PS what kind of thing do you recite?

--------------------

#319649 - 11/28/07 09:47 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Quote:

PS what kind of thing do you recite?

Promise you won't laugh (anyone who reads this has to promise!)

I recite "My favorite things" from the Sound of Music!! Yes, it does make me feel better. Partly because I know the whole song, and partly because I can just keep repeating it over and over, it doesn't really have to start / end. Or I count. I start with counting when it's really bad, then I switch to the song when I can focus more.

I'm glad you're finding something that works. And yes, I think we'll always be "recovering" emetaphobes!

Take care!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

i didn't laugh (out loud) new
      #319691 - 11/28/07 04:35 PM
hawkeye

But its really cute! I did smile. I don't think that song will do it for me, as I was never a sound of music fan, but maybe I should adapt your idea with my own music!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review