All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just took my castor oil for colonoscopy prep...
      #319205 - 11/20/07 12:06 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

... and if it's anything like the last time I did this, I am in for a very painful and unhappy afternoon.
Took the castor oil at noon (gag) and then I have to take Fleet Phospho Soda and 6 pm tonight. I haven't eaten anything since dinner last night and my tummy is already rumbling for food - too bad I won't be able to eat anything 'til tomorrow night!

Anyway, please send happy tummy thoughts my way if you get a moment that my cramps will be less severe than last time.

Colonoscopy is tomorrow - have already asked for extra drugs as last time I was WIDE awake and it was really uncomfortable. Will let you know how it goes!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just took my castor oil for colonoscopy prep... new
      #319225 - 11/20/07 03:08 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Good luck tomorrow. Make sure they knock you out and you won't remember a thing!

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

{{{hugs}}} new
      #319242 - 11/20/07 05:00 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Make them knock you out!! Screaming works; they'll def knock you out if you freak them out with loud howling... I'm sending you a wonderfully cozy room with lots of cool pillows and I'm crossing my fingers you are ok tonight.

Remember to breathe through the worst parts of the prep (have you tried Lamaze breathing?). Counting in my head really fast or having a stopwatch nearby helps me-- something about the passage of time being finite really calms me.

*pillows* {{{gentle hugs}}} *more pillows*

~nelly~

Update: Hospital Meltdown -- Advice: Take Metamucil!!!! new
      #319351 - 11/22/07 11:45 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi All,

So I made it through the colonoscopy prep on Tuesday, but felt just awful the entire day. The cramps in my stomach weren't quite as bad as I remember from last time but I fel like I was going to throw up the whole day - ick!

I went in for my colonoscopy and told them I needed lotsa drugs. I was supposed to go in at 10 but they couldn't get my IV started so I didn't end up going in 'til about 11. The test was alright, the drugs did seem to help and it went by pretty quickly. At the end of the test, the GI doc talked to me.... well, sort of.
I was lying on the exam table and she was sitting at a computer across the room, with her back to me!! She told me that first of all, I'd never had parasites. I said my GP said I did and I'd been on the medication for it for 10 days! She said no, the tests I had before don't show parasites. What the heck??
Then she said the colonoscopy looked fine, that I should take metamucil tablets and come back and see her in 2 months... WHAT THE HE!!???? I started to get upset and asked why I had to wait so long to see her, she said, "I am very busy, it's hard to get in to see me". I still am having major reflux issues, my toush is killing me all the time and then not to mention the constant D that now seems completely out of control.
And take metamucil??? I told her I'd been on 3 kinds of metamucil, two kinds of prodiem, benefiber, acacia... fiber alone is not the answer for me! She said, "Well, have you tried it in capsules?" and I said no, because everyone I've talked to says the capsules aren't as effective. She said to take the capsules. Then she told me that I could keep go back to taking immodium again if I'm incontinent. Then she left.
By the time they wheeled me into the recovery thing, I was panicked. My boyfriend came in and I just broke down and couldn't stop crying. The nurse came in and I explained what happened, so she said she would go ask my GI if there was anything else I could do. The nurse came back and told me to take metamucil.
I had a total meltdown and was sobbing like crazy. The nurse finally said to me that my GP must have been wrong about the parasites because my GI doc is the expert and if she says to take the fiber, that's what I should do. She told me I had to "take control and stay on top of this" so I feel less upset. Um, excuse me? I am the one that voluntarily came in for a camera up my @$$ and have to constantly chase up doctors appointments.
I came home, slept for a while, then my mom called and made me feel really guilty for not being back at work.
I feel really lousy, I've been on fiber supplements for the last 5 years and to have gone through all the prep and the test and everything to be told to just do what I've already done... it's so hard.

Thanks for reading, and for the support.

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: oh geez new
      #319352 - 11/22/07 12:06 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Take metamucil?? ugh! doctors!

I would say take the Imodium if it works, to relieve your symptoms and give you back your sanity and hopefully some comfort.

Chances are if it wasn't parasites, it was bacteria or a virus and your system has rid itself of it, leaving you with the after effects of an upset gut. I think you said you're on probiotics, so keep that up and maybe even increase a bit.

Rest up, eat safely and this should get better. It could be the medication was making things even worse, so now maybe you can finally heal up.

I hope you don't rush back to work. It's a lot of stress which you don't need right now. No matter what other people think, you know what is best for you.

Hope you feel better soon,

--------------------
Kat

I'm sure you've posted this somewhere but... new
      #319360 - 11/22/07 09:45 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

...what tests have you had done so far? Can you see another doc? Yours shouldn't be blowing you off like this and clearly they aren't listening to anything you're saying. I have to wonder what else is going on with your poor tummy. What are all of you symptoms?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Take your results new
      #319363 - 11/23/07 06:52 AM
Nelly

Take your results and go to another doctor. She is a bad doctor, but your results will be interpreted by a good doctor!!

Cut your losses. Docs like that "don't get it." It's a b*tch you had to go through the whole process and end on the low note, but think this way: the process is OVER. Get your results read by another doc.

{{{hugs}}} and *firebombs* at your last evil doctor.

~nelly~

Re: Take your results new
      #319388 - 11/23/07 05:23 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I agree with Nelly. Get a second opinion. That's bleeping ridiculous. You have a problem, you need to do whatever you can to fix it. If she couldn't help you, you take the next step, which is finding someone who can.

Hang in there sweetie (I don't know you well enough to call you sweetie, but it seemed like some comforting form of endearment was in order).

Re: Update: Hospital Meltdown -- Advice: Take Metamucil!!!! new
      #319526 - 11/26/07 06:17 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Poor you!!
I am really beginning to hate CDN drs!! None of them seem to know anything about ibs!
My dr put me on drugs for high cholesterol. Um, I don't eat anything with fat, my cholesterol is LOW! But he prescribed it because the side affect was constipation and thought it might balance out the D!! ARGHH!!

Anyways Steph, I hope you're feeling better after the scope. Do your best to find another dr. for a second opinion!!

HUGS!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#319547 - 11/27/07 07:26 AM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

Have you ruled out gall bladder issues?

#319551 - 11/27/07 07:50 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I was thinking the same as daniel. You might want to get a sonogram of your organs to rule out anything gall bladder related because gall bladder issues mimick some of the IBS symptons--constantly having BMS be it solid or D-ish, nausea, etc. Thankfully, the sonogram is a piece of cake--lay down, they spread that wonderfully cold jelly on your belly, and then your tummy talks into the mike.

Hope you feel better and sending virtual hugs your way.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Gall bladder test? new
      #319568 - 11/27/07 10:19 AM
Nelly

There's also another gall bladder test, I think, involving dyes and an x-ray machine? That's the one I think I might be getting soon.

~nelly~

Re: Gall bladder test? new
      #319655 - 11/28/07 10:24 AM
DanielsDad

Nelly... I believe you are referring to a HIDA scan. It's a nuclear test that measures the evacuation rate of the bile from your gall bladder.

Been there, done that. Had gall bladder removed about 4 years ago because it quit working.

#319669 - 11/28/07 11:42 AM
Nelly

The HIDA scan-- that's definitely the one I was thinking of. What's the recovery like after gall bladder surgery? Did the removal of your gall bladder make you feel any better, or did your IBS just change from C to D or whatever?

~nelly~

#319671 - 11/28/07 12:14 PM
DanielsDad

The surgery was done laproscopically (sp?) so recovery was a breeze. If I remember correctly, the doctor wanted me to take at least 2 weeks off of work. I only took one week off (office job). I actually should have taken her up on it and taken 2 weeks because I stayed sick the rest of the winter. That's what I get for thinking how "strong" I was.

It unfortunately make my D worse, but I'm able to control it for the most part by taking Benefiber every morning. At least now I don't get sick when I eat Also, I've found that anything gaseous, like beans and greens, have to be eaten in moderation now because I will suffer greatly for most of the night if I eat too much of them for supper.

#319680 - 11/28/07 01:41 PM
Nelly

I think that as I get older, the more gas is a problem and the less D is for me. I use a lot of imodium, and the more C it makes me, the more trapped gas is a problem. I've essentially swapped one problem for the other~!

The word "bean" makes me gaseous!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10450

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review