All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety, airplanes and doctors
      #319008 - 11/18/07 05:22 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

A few days ago I posted about how I was very nervous about flying home for Christmas with ibs. I called my doctor to see if she could prescribe something to calm my nerves for the two days. Her assistant called back and said that the doc hadn't seen my in over a year and that I'd need an appointment for that.

Problem is... I can't stand my doctor. She's kinda bitchy and cold and I don't trust her at all. She's not the one who diagnosed me. There's another doctor in the practice who I've seen who I really like. I was thinking I might go to her if she's accepting new patients. I don't know though. I don't really need any drugs. Plus, when I was diagnosed I never had a colonoscopy and I'm afraid she'll order one. Sorry, but I'm just not going through that. My ibs has gotten better every year, but seems to be leveling off lately. Suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety, airplanes and doctors new
      #319031 - 11/19/07 04:35 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

As I'm sure you've read on here before...NEVER accept an IBS diagnosis without the proper tests first. You can not be diagnosed w/o them. A colonoscopy is a must if you want to be sure. There is nothing to it really. Just a day of sleeping But never just assume you have IBS...it could be something else.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#319033 - 11/19/07 05:29 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I understand about the dr!! Mine is 78 years old and only writes referrals and prescriptions if you press him to.

I suggest if you can't get a script for something to relax you, try the naturals section at the pharmacy. Talk to the pharmacist. There are herbs such a Valerian that will calm you down. And they don't reek havoc on our tums!!

All the best!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#319147 - 11/19/07 07:06 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

Plus, when I was diagnosed I never had a colonoscopy and I'm afraid she'll order one.

This really needs to be done. And it isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. Just tell them to knock you out so you sleep through the whole thing. Not to try to scare you, but a lot of things are misdiagnosed as IBS (Chron's, Colitis, colon cancer, Celiac's, ulcers, etc.) You deserve to know exactly what you're dealing with.

For the plane ride, try hypno. It works wonders. You can also try meditation.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#319158 - 11/19/07 08:37 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Eat safely the night before, take some Immodium before your flight, put some safe snacks in your purse and just drink bottled water (no ice) on the plane.

If it's a long flight, you can take something that will knock you out like Benadryl. If you don't sleep, you'll get groggy enough to where your senses are dulled and you won't freak out as much. Or, bring your Ipod and a book and just try and get your mind off your tummy.

I fly all the time now without a worry because I've done it so many times without a problem. The more you do it without incident, the greater you learn to trust in yourself. There have been a couple times where I had to poo on the flight, but, just always rest assured there is a bathroom and plenty of people are pooing there as well You'll be just fine!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review