All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acid reflux disease
      #318381 - 11/11/07 11:12 PM
sherryrose

Reged: 11/11/07

Hello Everyone!
My name is Sherry and I am 28 years old. I suffer from IBS, but I also suffer from terrible acid reflux disease. It is so bad that I continue to get laryngitis because of it and at the moment, my mouth is very red and irritated and it's hard for me to eat, especially anything hot. I was wondering if you could give me some advice to help the acid reflux. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acid reflux disease new
      #318384 - 11/12/07 03:03 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

What meds are you taking for the reflux? I've used both Nexium and Protonix. They both work very well. Sleep with your head elevated and try not going to long between meals. Don't eat a lot at night but try some crackers right before bed. Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#318389 - 11/12/07 06:10 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I had acid reflux for about a month and a half and it was because I had irritations in the lining of my stomach. Looking back now, I probably created that by eating all of the super saucy Nutrisystem foods. Anyway...

I was put on Omeprazol to repair the lining of my stomach and I was to avoid all things acidic (lemons, tomatoes, oranges, etc...). What I do now to not bruise up my stomach is to pop a couple of chewable Tums 15 minutes before I drink or eat anything acidic.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#318417 - 11/12/07 12:20 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

If your not already, you should be on a PPI. I take prilosec but have tried nexium and aciphex and had side effects. Extreme abdominal pain. I agree with the girls you should elevate your bed or buy a foam wedge pillow. That made a differnce for me. I could barely swallow and my ears and throat were killing me. Stay away from OJ, pizza, onions for now. Plain white rice and fat free or no sodium crackers are good. If your just taking tums and not a PPI try some pepcid complete. You can take up to 40mg of pepcid a day. So try one first thing in the am or at night before bed. They are 10mg. If thats not enough go back to your GI to get a pronton pump Inhibitor. They help alot

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#318421 - 11/12/07 12:56 PM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

I take a prilosec tablet every morning. A few years ago I had a polyp in my esophagus that turned out to be high-grade dysplasia (still pre-cancer)... so acid reflux is nothing to sneeze at. You might want to consider having an EGD to make sure nothing serious is going on.

#318427 - 11/12/07 02:52 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Definitely take care of your reflux. My son just had an endoscopy and found that he has lesions in his esophagus because of reflux. Fortunately, they aren't cancerous but the doctor put him on Prilosec to heal the lesions.

--------------------

#318434 - 11/12/07 03:50 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Danielsdad,

How many years have you been taken Prilosec?

Also, have any woman taken this while preggo? We want to try for a baby in Jan and my doc says its okay to take prilosec but I just wanted to check with other woman if they were okay and the babies.

Thanks

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#318606 - 11/14/07 10:38 AM
DanielsDad

Reged: 03/31/04

I've been on PPIs for probably 4 years now. I started with Prevacid, then moved on to Nexium and now I'm taking Prilosec OTC. I didn't realize how bad my reflux was until I started taking Prevacid.

Here's the kicker though. Since PPI's reduce the amount of acid in your stomach, it makes you more susceptible to upper respitory problems such as sinusitus, bronchitis, and even pneumonia... of which I've had all these since starting this class of medicine. The reason is, your stomach acid helps fight off that type of bacteria/virus before it can get further into your body. But since you are reducing that "fighter", it allows some of that bacteria/virus to enter.

so... it's a trade-off. Bronchitis every fall or reflux/polyps leading to possible cancer. So no question here the route I'm taking.

Also, I had to start taking Inderal (a migrane/blood pressure medicine) since my baby started battling cancer last year. Talk about stress...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3662

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review