All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Headache tips?
      #317313 - 10/24/07 04:11 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Home sick today. Have had a horrible headache since yesterday morning. Last night it hurt to touch my head or put it on a pillow, and I didn't fall asleep until after 4 am. Then I had that weird aura in my left eye that comes with certain headaches. Ick.

I have taken Tylenol, and it has helped a little. Trying to stay hydrated, although I'm not having any sinus pain or cold symptoms. I'm on my period, so I think that might be part of the problem.

Anyway, I've found myself on the boards a lot today and finally realized I should ask if any of you have any good headache remedies?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Headache tips? new
      #317316 - 10/24/07 04:19 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

My hubby gets migraines and he says sometimes what feels good is to take a bath with the lights off and just soak for a while.

I don't get migraines but I have had headaches like you just explained a few times. They are debilitating. Hormones!!! HOpefully tomorrow you feel better.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#317323 - 10/24/07 05:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I got terrible tension headaches when I was in high school and a warm to hot washcloth on my forehead always seemed to help.

Feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#317349 - 10/24/07 09:31 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I'm so sorry! I hate headaches almost more than I hate my IBS I'm the polar opposite of Sand. I use ice cold washcloths to make my head feel less throbbing. If my headache is seriously hurting me and won't go away with Tylenol I take codeine. Hope you feel better soon!

#317358 - 10/25/07 04:23 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Yup...for me, warm baths but I take Ibuprofen instead of Tylenol. It's the only thing that will touch my headaches. I sure hope you're feeling better. My really awful headaches are usually due to hormones. Blah....

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#317438 - 10/25/07 03:08 PM
lalala

Thanks guys! It's not as bad now, but still there. Tried both hot and cold compresses and both helped. But now it seems to be turning into a cold.

#317445 - 10/25/07 03:36 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's those cold compresses - I knew they were bad for you.

Seriously, maybe the headache was the first symptom of whatever you're coming down with. I'm glad the headache is gone and hope the cold (or whatever) follows it soon.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#317465 - 10/25/07 06:18 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh Maria!! Poor dear!! I'm glad you're headache is better today.
Here are some of my own tips - I have chronic migraines - average one every few days.

Put your feet in a hot soak, or use a hot water bottle for 15 minutes. At the same time put a cold cloth on the back of your neck and your forehead. This makes the blood go from your head to your feet helping relieve pressure. Lie down after your foot soak in a dark room for another 1/2 to 1 hour.

Inhale oil of rosemary. It can be bought at many HFS. I put a little under my nose and rub it on my temples. It shrinks the blood vessel relieving pressure.

If you're experiencing auras with your headaches it is an indication of a migraine. If it happens again try and get checked out while it is happening. Auras can be signs of more serious issues with migraines.

Tylonel and Advil won't touch my pain, I'm on a prescription called Maxalt. It is a ribotriptan - reduces the blood vessels in my brain to relieve pressure. It is the only thing that works besides time.

Stay hydrated too. If you think you're getting a migraine drink 2 to 3 glasses of water in a short time. Sometimes it can ward it off. I have to drink on aveage 3 litres of liquid a day to keep mine off. And they happen as soon as I drink less than that.

Keep an eye on your blood pressure. If you are low (I'm 100 / 60 on a good day) you will be more likely to get headaches because your body is not pumping enough oxygen through your blood stream.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!! I've got tons of experience, unfortunately!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Headache tips? - important! new
      #317718 - 10/31/07 01:15 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Are you on the BC pill??? Migraines with aura while on the pill can be a warning sign for stroke!! New doctors always ask me about auras when they notice I have chronic migraines for that very reason. Talk to your doctor!!!

Hope you are feeling better by now

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#317749 - 10/31/07 08:12 PM
lalala

Yes, I am! Thank you very much! I'm calling my doctor tomorrow!

#317770 - 11/01/07 11:28 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I had headaches with bc pills too. My doc told me the pills were too strong (he was right) and he could prescribe a lighter pill, which fixed the problem for a while. Sleep is good for headaches, in the mean time. I've often napped headaches away. Also try benedryl. An antihistamine will get rid of a sinus headache. The weather's changing, and so are the allergies.

Good luck!

~nelly~

#317863 - 11/02/07 09:49 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

BC pills gave me migraines, too. I stopped taking them in 1998 and haven't had a migraine since.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 542 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3756

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review