All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about AD"s
      #315994 - 10/02/07 06:30 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I had a question. Have any of you found that while taking an AD you have put more weight on? I started one in the spring. My doc put me on Lexapro and it has been wonderful. I am less tense and my attacks are very minimal. However I seem to have gained 8 pounds since taking it. I have not changed my way of eating. I still avoid all the trigger foods. I might have snacked more at night during the summer but since I had IBS I have lost alot of weight and was able to keep it off. Even after both of pregnancies. I just thought I would see if anyone else experienced this. I don't want to go off of it yet but I also can't seem to lose the weight or keep it off. ANy thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about AD"s new
      #316003 - 10/03/07 01:55 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Weight gain is a very common side effect of most ADs and, unfortunately, it can occur even if you have a healthy diet and exercise regularly. I have put on a few pounds with every AD I've taken. I always lost the weight very quickly though after I went off the pills, if that's any consolation. If you're concerned enough about the weight gain such that you are thinking of going off the meds, definitely bring up your concerns with your doctor. There may be an AD that could work for you that has a lesser chance of causing weight gain. Some are worse than others and people respond differently to each med.

#316012 - 10/03/07 10:07 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Angela, I've been on Elavil for about 6mths now and I gained maybe 5 or 6lbs. I was hoping to gain like 15!! A lot of people told me horror stories of the weight gain on Elavil and I haven't been one of them. I can afford to gain at least 10 more lbs and am still waiting but I think I've reached the maximum that the drug will have that effect. All and all though if 8lbs is all you gained since the spring that's not too bad. It definitly is worth the benefit of less attacks so if I were you, I'd stay on them.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#316014 - 10/03/07 10:34 AM
Angela E.

Thanks Lisa. I am going to wait and see if I gain anymore and if I don't then I can live with the weight gain. It's not like I am huge or anything. I am 5'9 and use to weigh 139 now I am 146 which still isn't bad. It's just irritating because it's enough to make my pants tight and i don't have the money to go and buy all new clothes!

#316015 - 10/03/07 10:35 AM
Angela E.

Thanks for your advice. I have an appointment in November with my doc and I certainly will talk to him then about it!

Give it more time Lisa...you may put on more! new
      #316071 - 10/04/07 12:37 PM
AmandaM

Elavil is part of the tricyclic ADs and they're reknown for helping you put on weight if you need it! I was on Elavil for about a year and put on 10 lbs, very gradually though. Maybe you'll gain more as time progresses? For me, the 10 lbs was totally unwanted. I am normally about 125 and 135 meant that my jeans fit too tight! But like I said, it happened so gradually that I didn't notice until one day I was like, hmmm clothes aren't fitting...what the?

Do you mind if I ask what you are taking? -nt- new
      #316072 - 10/04/07 12:38 PM
AmandaM

Me too new
      #316076 - 10/04/07 01:13 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I took a month of Nortriptyline last year, and grew boobs. All my life I'd been a 34B. Since that month, I'm now a 36D. It happened very fast.

I think the process was just amazing, because nothing's ever made me gain weight like that. I started high school when I was really sick, at 5'8" and 76 pounds. No boobs.

~nelly~

Re: Do you mind if I ask what you are taking? -nt- new
      #316082 - 10/04/07 04:29 PM
Angela E.

I am taking Lexapro 10mg once a day.

The good stuff new
      #316091 - 10/04/07 06:18 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

God, I gotta get my hands on that stuff!
I need boobies! hehehehe

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#316106 - 10/05/07 07:16 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I went on zoloft for PPD after Mia was born, took it about 6 months (whoa, did it work well for me!). I didn't experience any weight gain---but I was also breastfeeding, and as a new busy mom, not spending a lot of time eating!

--------------------

#316115 - 10/05/07 03:17 PM
AmandaM

Hmm..I've never taken that one. I have a couple friends who took it and they both gained some weight on it. I think they topped out at a weight gain of about 10-12 pounds. However, you may not gain any more than you already have. Everyone is different. Give it some time and see what happens!

Re: The good stuff new
      #316119 - 10/05/07 05:33 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I highly recommend it for that!! Tho I can't get used to the sensation of them touching each other. Or them touching my arms. So weird!

~nelly~

Lol new
      #316121 - 10/05/07 05:41 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Yeah...the only time I ever had any was when I was pregnant. Kinda nice feeling like a woman though! hehehehe

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: I hope so! new
      #316124 - 10/05/07 06:30 PM
LittleLisa

I'll take 10lbs in a year! I'm only 5feet tall and weigh almost 90lbs(and that is including the 5lbs I gained being on Elavil)so as you can see I need the weight gain. Also will give me an excuse to buy more new clothes off of Ebay! I'm addicted to Ann Taylor stuff. I found that her clothing line fits me to a T. Plus I can't afford to go into a store and get it brand new so that's where EBAY comes in handy

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I'm addicted to Ann Taylor, too!! new
      #316291 - 10/08/07 05:21 PM
AmandaM

Do you have an Ann Taylor outlet near you? They're like a slice of shopping heaven! I know why you're raving about her clothes fitting petites. (I'm 5'3") Her petite-size suits fit me beautifully without any alterations. It's amazing

#316307 - 10/09/07 05:23 AM
Angela E.

Thanks everyone for you commments and support. I really have just been feeling down because at least with the IBS I could be happy with a new slim body when I couldn't eat the things I use to. Now I am inching my way back up the scale with few attacks but still am on a restricted diet. It just doesn't seem fair.......

Hang in there new
      #316340 - 10/09/07 03:05 PM
AmandaM

I know it doesn't seem fair. I think I end up with that conclusion almost every day I think we all do. I felt the same way when I would put on a few pounds with my ADs, but just remember that you're on them for a really good reason, whether it's to help with anxiety and/or depression or IBS symptoms, etc. In time, hopefully you will get to a place where you won't need them anymore and then you can work on getting the AD weight off. In the meantime, keep positive You're moving in the right direction towards making yourself well and that is what matters!

Re: Ann Taylor outlet new
      #316468 - 10/11/07 03:24 PM
LittleLisa

I'm not sure if we have any Ann Taylor Loft's around either. I know the mall near us has a regular Ann Taylor store but not sure if I've seen any outlets around. I'm going to have to look into that. We have Banana Republic, Casual Corner, Gap, Jones of New York and some others but I don't recall any Ann Taylor....hmmmmmmm Oh well, I've been doing really well with Ebay so I can always stick to that!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5554

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review