All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is there anyone else here who has had a hysterectomy?
      #315603 - 09/26/07 05:43 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I had to have a hysterectomy last year. It was a year ago on Sept. 14. I tried hormone replacement, but I didn't feel good on it so I went off it and feel better off it. I have been doing good for the most part, but lately have been battling headaches and mild hot flashes. I see my GYN/surgeon next week for my one year check-up and will ask about the headaches, but I know he'll say I need to go back on the hormones. I don't want to because I feel better off them other than the headaches. Has anyone else gone through this. My IBS-D is better off the hormones, too. It's not gone, but it's not as bad as when I was on the hormones.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is there anyone else here who has had a hysterectomy? new
      #315610 - 09/27/07 02:51 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I haven't had one, but my mom had one when I was in high school. She said the same thing about the hormones. Had a heck of a time with the pills. Tried cutting them in 1/2, going without. When they came out with the patch, she said that helped. Maybe you can try a lower dose or the patch.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Re: Is there anyone else here who has had a hysterectomy? new
      #315621 - 09/27/07 07:38 AM
Nugget

I tried the Estroderm patch but couldn't get it to stay on very well.

I have new
      #315714 - 09/28/07 05:30 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Hey Nuggett,

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. I have mentioned before that I had a hysterectomy 13 years ago. I have been on HRT since except for a year when I decided I didn't want to take primrin anymore.

I honestly don't know if my IBS symptoms were better when I was off because I felt so lousy in every other way. In 2005 I did start using an estrodial patch and have felt much better as far the the hot flashes, etc. go.

I do suffer from migraines every week and still have IBS but I don't have the other physical things going on associated with menopause. Some times you have to pick your battles and for me I couldn't take the hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, weight gain, etc. that go along with not taking HRT.

I wish you luck and I know this hasn't been much help for you. The sad thing about a hysterectomy is that you feel so much better in some ways (endometrosis is painful) and worse in others because it puts you in instant menopause when you aren't old enough.

--------------------
Janey

Re: I have new
      #315721 - 09/28/07 07:12 PM
Nugget

Hi Janey...now that you refreshed my memory, I do remember now that you told me a while back that you had a hysterectomy. For me I had terrible mood swings, weight gain, loss of labido, etc. when I was on HRT. Now that I have been off it for a while I'm having headaches, hot flashes, and leg cramps. So I don't know which is worse. I still think I felt worse on HRT than off. I see my GYN/surgeon next Thursday, so will weigh my options with him. I am thankful I had him as a doctor/surgeon because I think the world of him in that respect and he is well respected in the community. He doesn't know yet, though, that I quit HRT. So am a bit nervous about what he is going to say. Ya know? Plus I get nervous about Dr. appointments anyway. So we'll see what Thursday brings. {{{hugs}}}

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1057 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1415

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review