All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Birth Control => to be trusted?
      #315431 - 09/22/07 01:24 PM
MackyJ

Reged: 09/22/07

Hey,

I'm new here so hi to all the fellow IBS sufferers!
I haven't exactly been diagnosed with IBS, but my father has it and I have all the exact same symptoms. So I reckon I've got it too.
Now what I want to know is: Can I rely solely on a birth control pill as contraceptive? I always take it before I go to bed and I never have to get up to go to the toilet or anything. During the day, after a heavy meal (depends on what I ate but...) I sometimes get cramps and then I have to go. But I don't think it can be described as 'diarrhoea'...I'm sorry for the details but it's just soft is all. Not very runny or watery like most people describe diarrhoea.
So what I would like to know is: can I trust a contraceptive pill with my IBS and when do I have to start worrying? Anyone got experience in this field? Cause I tend to worry a lot
Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Birth Control => to be trusted? new
      #315432 - 09/22/07 02:06 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I personally take birth control (a low dose, at that!) and since my doc prescribed it knowing i have a bowel problem (IBS-D), I think it's safe to assume that the birth control will be effective. I've been on the stuff (went from a high- to a low-dose within the last few months) for almost 3 years, and I haven't gotten pregnant. Maybe ask your doc just to make sure?

Birth control pills are the only precaution I use... I've been in a monogamous relationship for a while, so I'm not worried about STDs.

Oh, my major bowel upsets happen in the early AM, and I take my pill before bed like you.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#315433 - 09/22/07 02:14 PM
MackyJ

Ah, great. That puts my mind at ease a bit. I was worried as I don't know how long it takes before your body 'absorbs' BC pills.
But I usually have trouble after dinner...so that's 4 to 5 hours BEFORE I take my BC pill. That shouldn't be a problem then?

#315434 - 09/22/07 03:25 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

when your doc prescribed you the BC, were they aware that you have IBS problems? I don't THINK it should be a problem, but I'm no expert!

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#315449 - 09/23/07 12:07 AM
MackyJ

Well, at one point in time he knew that at that time I was having lots of problems with my stomach and bowels...I don't know if he's aware I have IBS lol
But I have to say it's not as bad as some people here have it. I can be good for a couple of days/weeks...

#315450 - 09/23/07 12:30 AM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi there,

I know it's boring and not necessarily relevant to your problem here but you probably should make sure about your self-diagnosis and get tests done by your doctor, just to be sure your bowel problems etc. are indeed IBS and not something else potentially more serious or even better, treatable?

On the topic though - speaking from experience it's definitely something to be aware of! I have a little boy and to this day I credit his arrival to a period of shall we say "rapid transit" when I was taking BC in the mornings. I wouldn't swap him though!!!!!!! Thanks IBS!!!!!!

Good luck,
Jodie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2036

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review