All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Martial Arts
      #314635 - 09/06/07 06:51 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Has anyone on here tried any form of martial arts? I don't mean aerobic-style kickboxing classes (which I've tried), but more like martial arts lessons. Just wondering if anyone found that it helps stress, confidence, and overall energy? I feel like I need to try something different.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Martial Arts new
      #314650 - 09/06/07 11:14 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I took Tai Chi for a while several years ago and loved it although I didn't stick with it long enough to become proficient. I know it's often taught as a type of moving mediation but it is in fact a martial art and more advanced students can train with some really cool weapons.

Tai Chi focuses on internal strength especially balance. Wikipedia has a good write-up on it:

web page

I studied a variant of the Yang family method.

If you like the idea of Tai Chi, but want to start out really slow you can try QiJong which is sort of Tai Chi without the flow. Again, Wikipedia is a good starting point:

web page

You can order a video with the "Five Treasures" Qijong set here:

web page

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Jujutsu ... new
      #314662 - 09/06/07 01:20 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

is similar to Judo, and is really helpful in restraining an attacker. Practicing Jujutsu builds strength, while keeping the body limber. It is or could be very helpful for a young lady in a difficult postion. A person that is trained in Jujutsu would have very little problem with anyone one on one. There are many versions of Jujutsu. Certainly there is a school in your area. Go take a look.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Jujutsu ... new
      #314681 - 09/06/07 04:44 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I took Judo for 5 years when I was in college and absolutely loved it. It was a great workout. Judo isn't hitting and kicking though. It's more about using someone's energy against them...throws, wrestling of sorts...I absolutely loved it but when I moved here there was no one that taught it. I took Karate for a few months but didn't enjoy it that much.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: Martial Arts new
      #314694 - 09/07/07 08:11 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I was in Tae Kwon Do throughout highschool, going 6 nights a week min.. (Not saying you have to go that many times per week I just did because I loved it so much) It helped greatly with my confidence and when I think back... I was the most stable durring that time of my life.. I rarely got ill durring that time at all..

I loved the people that I worked with and could even break boards after only a few months.. I even got to teach the younger students as I got higher in the ranks.. Best time of my life..

Re: thanks for the feedback.. (m) new
      #314767 - 09/10/07 11:49 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06

There's a place right by my house that does Jiu Jitsu and I'm thinking of trying it out. They have an introductory offer with 1 class so I'm going to start with that and see if I like it. I need something different from just 'working out' in a gym. Hopefully this will help me deal better with stress and will be enjoyable.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Martial Arts/tai chi new
      #314787 - 09/10/07 05:36 PM
jbgator

Reged: 08/05/07
Loc: port charlotte, florida

I have been in a beginning tai chi class and I really love it. Stress free and I have learned better posture, balance, and breathing and come out of each class with renewed energy.

--------------------
jbgator, IBS-d,+post gall bladder syndrome

Absolutely! You must try it! KARATE!!!! new
      #315066 - 09/15/07 05:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

I just started in April. I go to a dojo that is for ages 30 and up, and we have every age and shape in there. Half women, too! I take Shotokan Karate - and karate is always defense first. We do warm ups, kata (specific steps), defense steps (learn how to take someone down!!! GREAT fun and confidence), and sparring. I NEVER thought that I would like the sparring - I thought I could never punch anyone. But let me tell you, it's great fun, and we're always well protected. We wear protected gear and always light contact - we take great care that noone gets hurt.
It has boosted my confidence, I'm getting in shape, I lost 2 JEAN SIZES!!!! and the discipline, balance, and a GREAT stress reliever.
Most dojos will let you come in and observe or give it a try for free or a small fee - you can wear comfortable clothing and get ready to get the best workout of your life.
If you have any questions let me know!
Oh, also, no experience is required and EVERY fitness level is OK! I was 6 years out of shape when I started.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review