All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help for son/probiotics advice
      #313579 - 08/20/07 01:56 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi, ladies! I'm checking in...thought of you all recently when our 20-year-old son, a college student, was home visiting. He informs me that he has diarrhea every day---and has had it every day since he had knee surgery back in October!!! (I saw some Immodium AD in his room here and asked him about that. He said he has to take it every day.)

My guess is that the heavy-duty painkillers he was on after his surgery messed us his tummy. I was wondering if you all think a probiotic might help him. I've never taken ---or bought one---so this is all Greek to me, but I understand they can help if medications mess your tummy up.

He attends school in a rather small college town. I know there is a General Nutrition Center there. Would this be a good place for him to get a probiotic? I looked it up online and they have so many types. How do you know which type to buy? Can any of you recommend one?

How long should he take it? Just temporarily or for awhile?

Where else could he find a good probiotic? Would they have something like that at a drugstore or Wal-Mart? I thought they had to be refrigerated, but one of the ones on the GNC website said "no refrigeration necessary."

I would welcome any suggestions you have. (He's been eating the Activia yogurt that supposedly has live cultures in it, but that hasn't helped.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help for son/probiotics advice new
      #313598 - 08/20/07 05:51 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Awwww...what a sin. 20 years old and has to worry about D! I feel for him!!

I'm wondering if the Activia is actually making it worse. I was going to start eating it until I realized it really helped out people with C and me having IBS-D thought, hmmm that's obviously not something I have a problem with so I better not try it. It claims it helps "regulate" you and puts good bacteria back into your gut. A girl I work with started eating it and she's C. I think it didn't really help her and kinda messed up her tummy so she stopped. Plus I think it's pricey for just 4 containers of it.

When I was having terrible C-diff issues, I ate tons of yogurt and took an acidophillus pill once a day. Mine had to be refrigerated but you can buy some that doesn't have to be. I think if you do a search on it you'll find information of the benefits of it. I'm sure there are stronger probiotics, but I've only taken acidophillus. I believe it did help me. I bought mine from a pharmacy and a health food store. It's a pretty common probiotic. I took it for over a year. I don't think it hurts you to take it long term.

Is he having pains with the D? Did they put him on an antibiotic of IV or by mouth during or after his surgery?
Also, I know pain killers and anti-inflammatories really messed up my hubby in the gut when he was taking them for back pain. They can cause bleeding ulcers if taken too long.
Is he currently taking any anti-imflammatories?

Do you also think it could be nerves since just staring back to college? Is he that type of kid?

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get more input. This is just something to start with. Hope he's feeling better soon.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#313623 - 08/21/07 08:32 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Hello! Sorry to hear about your son's problem. My husband has a chronic health problem that requires a lot of nasty meds and antibiotics to control. His GI tract was a mess! I had been taking a good probiotic for some time and told him it would help him too. He noticed a huge change and no longer suffers from the problem. I learned about probiotics here on this site, and Jarrodophilus EPS was the choice for my family. My son also has a chronic health issue that requires nasty meds and I automatically put him on the probiotics too.

I think probiotics, like any other supplement, is an individual need/choice. It certainly won't hurt your son, and if the surgery messed up his GI tract, a good probiotic will help tremendously. I would really be concerned if the D has gone on that long though. He may be a fellow IBS sufferer yet to be diagnosed. I'd send him to the doctor first!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#313638 - 08/21/07 11:06 AM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I agree, send him to the Dr first. I did some research before my appointment and asked about taking the probiotic.

I found "Flora-Q" with my Dr's help. It's a probiotic that is whey, gluten, milk, shellfish..etc.. free. It is 230mg of the good bacteria that gets killed in your gut from Flagyl and the other strong antibotics. You have to ask for it at the pharm counter- but it does not require a script. I've been taking it for a week in addition to Heather's diet. I had an exam and I was told I went from an 8 to a 2 on the severity of my colon. I did notice I had some gas (but it was odorless so no one else noticed... ) You can pick up other brands on any vitamin isle, but I noticed most of them contained milk. One a day- with my largest meal.

You might also find some good info in one of the other boards.

Good luck!

--------------------

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Thank you all! new
      #313962 - 08/26/07 04:45 PM
BL

Thanks so much for your advice on what to tell my son about his D. He bought some of the Flora Q, and he said he can already tell an improvement. I am so relieved. I have been so worried about him.

Thanks so much for all of the information. This is a great board for advice.

Castaway---I have a question for you new
      #314621 - 09/05/07 07:05 PM
BL

My son has been taking the Flora Q probiotic that you recommended, and it is really helping him! Thank you so much!

How long did your doctor tell you to take it? Should he continue to take it for several months? I'm afraid it he quits taking it, his symptoms will return.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review