All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Birth Control for IBS? Help!!
      #313132 - 08/13/07 02:49 PM
confused18

Reged: 07/23/07

Hi everyone,

So I've been suffering for IBS for about 3 years. I'm 20, and it started when I lost a substantial amount of weight aboout years ago. My problems have never been horrible, just the normal d or c, depending on the day and what I would eat. The symptoms were always bad around my period, bad cramps and stomach ache beyond belief,but I managed by watching what I ate, taking Midol and what not. However, This past year in December I went on a trip and my period was horrible, pain, horrible IBS. I was in so much pain, I didn't really want to move for about 3 days out of the 7. So I went to my doctor and she put me on Yasmin. Well in about a week I bloated beyond belief, i started to dry out, nose bleeds, my IBS worsened substantially but also I gained a substantial amount of weight. It may not have been weight, but it may have been IBS bloating and cramping, making me "gain" 20 pounds. Even food I would have normally been able to eat with my IBS I couldn't. So after a month, i went back to my dr and went off. Miraclously, all my symptoms went away (after my period, that was), and i lost alot of the weight and my stomach problems went away. However, I went back on birth control, Alesse this time for other reasons, and my symptoms came back yet again. However this time, I gained so much weight, my mood swings were horrible that my family didn't know who I was. I switched after 4 months to Tri-Cyclen Lo, but my stomach aches got even worse. I was in constant pain from the moment I started, with maybe 2 out of the 20 days I took it pain free. (ps, I'm lactose intolerant). So I talked to my doctor, who said she had NEVER heard of anyone having such terrible side effects and terrible stomach aches(I was also seriously depressed because of the weight and the stomach aches). But she said that we could try to go off it and see how I feel. I take Dicetel, and I'm still taking it and it's about day 4 off the pill. I have period pains, seeing I got it yesterday but I feel so much better. However, I need SOME form of birth control, so I was wondering:
1. Has anyone ever had symptoms like this, or is this a rare case? If so, has any pill actually been better for anyone? I can't deal with the constant horrible IBS and weight gain.
2. Should I maybe schedule an appointment with a GI to see if I have an underlying problem? however, i was never really that bad, I never gained so much weight ever before the pill...
3. Has anyone had good experiences on Nuvaring? my doctor said that because it's already where it has to be and that it doesn't have to go through your stomach and your liver that it may not bother me. but I still worry about the weight gain and the bloating and gas. and if not, has anyone else used anything?

Sorry for the ramble....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth Control for IBS? Help!! new
      #313143 - 08/13/07 03:37 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I'm going to be completly honest, I have no idea what you are going through but I can tell you what happened with myself.. I'm on synphastic 21. I have been on it since I was 17 and I'm 25 now.. I didn't gain or loose weight, my skin didn't change, and it has never ever bothered my stomach. Not once.. I have had zero side effects from it whatsoever...

#313147 - 08/13/07 04:24 PM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Is there a particular reason that you need bc? If it is for the obvious reason...there are other methods. That would get rid of your problem. If it's for other reasons (your health), I would try nuva ring. I've heard good things. Personally I didn't tolerate bc very well. I just don't do well with hormones in general. They always have some negative effect on my digestion.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#313149 - 08/13/07 05:02 PM
confused18

Reged: 07/23/07

well its for the obvious reasons but also my periods before it were super heavy and i'd usually get bad cramps and pain, but that's not the main reason for being on birth control. I'm just worried going back to some sort of hormonal type is going to mess around with my system once again...
ive read that some people have gotten their hormone levels checked, but i dont know if its worth it

#313160 - 08/13/07 07:15 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Dajara...So are you saying you do not have IBS? I'm not sure I understand.

#313161 - 08/13/07 07:24 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

no no.. not that.. I do have IBS, I'm a semi stable ibs D.. What I ment was I can't say that I understand what she is going through in regards to Birth Control side effects.. I haven't ever had side effects from Oral contraceptives..

#313175 - 08/14/07 04:53 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I completely understand what you are going through with the periods and BC. I've been on and off bc since I was 16 (36 now) for heavy, long periods and horrible cramps. Used to take 3-4 darvocet a day for the pain. Went through 2 laproscopies to check for endometriosis, but didn't have it.My doc put me on Seasonal last year and also tried Yaz. Gained weight with both and my IBS got worse. She switched me over to the Nuvaring and feeling a lot better. I use it non-stop in the hopes of ending my periods altogether. My body is still adjusting and I've had break through bleeding. I didn't gain weight with it and my other symptons are much better. Hopefully the hormones will straighten out soon and I'll be totally better. My doc said the same thing as yours about not going through your whole system so it should be easier on your stomach. Wish you luck!

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#313218 - 08/14/07 03:33 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

The reason I asked is because the use of BC pills is a major factor for yeast overgrowth; it promotes estrogen dominance. Symptoms of yeast overgrowth can include migraines, infertility, depression, FM,and many others including digestive disorders(IBS). Maybe your digestive problems have been encouraged with the use of the pill.(Not implying it did). Myself, I am assuming that the use of the pill encouraged my colitis symptoms, which was really a fungal/yeast overgrowth. After following an antifungal diet, my colitis/IBS symptoms virtually disappeared.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1952

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review