All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help- Jaw, lag and arm jerks
      #312988 - 08/10/07 12:09 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have a problem I think might be serious, in fact I'm worried to the point I'm afraid of discussing it with my doctor. At night, my jaw will suddenly clamp down, like I'm violently biting into an apple. Anything in its way will get bitten. It happens when my eyes are closed and I'm going to sleep.

Equally worrying is that I'll be watching TV late at night, and my arms will jerk suddenly. This happens when my eyes are open. I can be watching someone kicking a soccer ball and my leg will kick completely involuntarily. Or for no reason, both my shoulders will shrug violently, or my arm will jerk towards my torso.

I'm trying to see on the Internet if this is a symptom of a greater problem. I've had Restless Leg Syndrome all my life and I take Baclofen 20 mg (a spinal tranquillizer) at night and I've had more restful sleep as a result.

I'm worried about MS or early onset Parkinson's disease. Has anyone heard of this?

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help- Jaw, lag and arm jerks new
      #313003 - 08/10/07 06:44 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Don't know what to tell you sweetie!! Scary though!
I hope it's just stress or something causing the spasms. I know my arms spasms when I've done too much - yard work, dishes, laundry, etc in a day.

Take care of you!!

BTW - how's the job hunt?

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#313035 - 08/11/07 06:52 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Several family members have MS (including my father) so I've spent quite a bit of time around it and reading on it. It's very common to have some kind of tremors or muscle problems, like joints "locking", or frequent spasms, but it is not a symptom of MS to have a pronounced or violent jerk like that.

Regardless, something like that could be a neurological problem, even if it isn't MS and you most definitely need to see your doctor no matter what you're afraid of hearing. Googling symptoms will just make you feel worse. I hope everything does turn out okay.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#313060 - 08/12/07 09:00 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Nelly,

My DIL had similar problems about a year ago. Hers started with her head jerking and then progressed to arm and leg twitching. These episodes would only last a few minutes. Of course, we were very concerned about it so she went to the doc who sent her for Cat scans, MRI, and all neurological tests. Nothing showed up on any of her tests. The only conclusion was stress. They gave her Ativan for times she felt the episodes coming on but strange enough, she hasn't had any problems for almost a year.

I also went to the Internet and found all kinds of stuff that can cause these symptoms. It was very confusing. If I were you I would mention it to your doc. It may be as simple as a side effect of a medication you are taking.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barbie

--------------------

#313191 - 08/14/07 09:20 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have similar problems nelly. I actually clamped so hard that I dislocated my jaw last fall. I now have to wear a custom made mouth piece and still can't open my mouth all the way. I get those violent jerks as well. I actually wake my hubby up kicking and thrashing about. I haven't gotten any answers on that, been to a neurologist. They said I have progressive peripheral neuropathy but it wouldn't cause those things. I have an appt with my regular gp in a couple of weeks to discuss this as well as many other issues! If you find any answers let us know!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#313272 - 08/15/07 09:08 AM
Nelly

I am throughly confused about all this stuff. I don't have the money for more tests to figure out this stuff. I can't wear mouthpieces because I spit them out while I'm asleep.

I'm so sure he'd be really impressed in my own diagnostic-- it I drink heavily and pass out, then it doesn't happen that night...! Of course it's neurological. Now fix it!

~nelly~

#313274 - 08/15/07 09:15 AM
Nelly

I take Ativan (or the generic lorazapam, anyway) just recently for panic. I don't take it at night though, when the majority of my twitchy symptoms manifest. I might try holding onto a pill to see what it does against the strange, late-night jaw biting syndrome. Thanks for your help--

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 571 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review