Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Benefiber dosage question
      #312818 - 08/08/07 02:01 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I need to fart!!!!!

I bought my first jar of Benefiber today! I have some trapped gas and need to start things going so I can get rid of all the gas I've been trying to pass.

So my question is this-- on the jar, it says that the dose of Benefiber capsules is 3 pills. I've taken one. Is that enough, and how long does it take to work, based on your experience?

I've become intolerant to Citrucel, one capsule of which will give me 3 days of aches and dripping sweats before it starts to work. It usually starts a D attack and complete evac. Is Benefiber any better?

I don't want to invest in anything more expensive, as I take maybe 2 tablets of soluble fiber a year only when I'm in serious need of it.

(Regarding the trapped gas pains, I can't use fennel or peppermint because they aggravate my GERD.) THANKS for your responses ahead of time!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Benefiber dosage question new
      #312846 - 08/08/07 08:28 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've had better results with Benefiber, but I haven't tried the one with the new ingredient (wheat dextrin). I was going to pick some up this weekend. I haven't tried the pills either. Hm. I'm not much help, am I?

Oh, but I do recommend the yoga poses for farting that Heather provides here on the site. They really work for me, and fast!

#312850 - 08/08/07 09:15 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Nelly,
I can't help you with the Benefiber question but I have found Simethicone caps aka gas relief capsules (generic gas-x) work great for trapped gas. I just buy the no name, Walmart brand and they are super cheap ($3.00 for a box of 30 i think it is). I need a couple for them to work but they really help.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#312870 - 08/09/07 06:20 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I used to take Benefiber, but since having a baby last year, haven't needed it (knock on wood).

I started with one pill three times a day, and eventually moved up to three pills three times a day (9 total). I was taking it for constipation and gas and for me, it wasn't like I could take one pill and see immediate relief. It kind of had to work gradually, if that makes any sense. I would say for you, maybe after a day or two you'll experience relief. Maybe for trapped gas you could try something like the other posters mentioned. Sit ups!

--------------------

#312885 - 08/09/07 06:58 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Have you considered the powders instead of pills? I never had luck with pills, but I could feel the powder working right away. It's like it instantly coats the intestines and pushes the gas down. Just something to consider.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

THANK YOU! new
      #312914 - 08/09/07 10:05 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Within 2 hours, I had a fairly healthy BM and was farting away!

I am throwing out all my Citrucel. It's been 24 hours, and I have no sweats or back pain like I got with the orange stuff. I noticed there were lots of different Benefiber products, though. I think I'll invest in the powder, and buy some more of the regular pill kind, lest they get rid of the old formula entirely. I have a knack of finding something I really like right before it gets discontinued..!

Feeling much better now!!!!!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review