All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Your Advice Please - Does this sound familiar?
      #312213 - 07/29/07 06:39 PM
sadtummy

Reged: 07/29/07

I am new here, and there's so much info to sort through, I wanted to start by asking if my as-of-now undiagnosed symptoms sound like IBS or IBD. I am 35 year old female and for the last 10 years or so I have had what I called a "nervous stomach" reactive to stress, rich foods, too much wine, etc., would often cause one bout of diarrhea, and then I would be fine. About 5 weeks ago, I had a sudden onset of diarrhea the morning after too much food and wine. Didn't think much of it, but it didn't stop this time. Then lots of mucous (which I have experienced sporadically before). Then small amount blood and mucous (also experienced before). For the next few days this continued, mostly mucous and loose stool. . Went to doctor who suspected an infection, took cipro and flagyl for 10 days. After about 4 days on the antibiotics, I got very weak and shaky, had a low grade fever(100)(saltines, ginger ale and gatorade was all I was ingesting at the time). The stomach gurgling was ridiculous. However, I had no pain whatsoever. Doctor thought blood was from the initial frequent stooling. Feeling terribly weak and shaky during the antibiotics, I went to ER for some help. Blood work normal, aside from dehydration. At that point I was only passing mucous for the stool sample, which showed nothing but a few white blood cells - doctors weren't alarmed. I received 2 bags of IV fluid and felt a bit better. A couple days later, a very slight pain in my right side, like a stitch in my side. Primary doc ordered CT and sonogram - both of which showed nothing but lots of stool hanging out and a little sludge in the gall bladder - no stones though. The contrast I drank took care of the constipation after the CT was finished though! I have an appt. with GI this week (been waiting 4 weeks), and I feel better than I did when this all started, stool is more formed, but still not my "norm" no blood, some mucous, mostly just frequent small amount of stool. Trying to increase my food intake as I have lost 12 pounds. I sort of acquired a fear of food during all of this, so I understand the weight loss. The only symptoms still remaining and troubling are the gurgling after every meal and at night and the irregular BMs, which are now a different color than they used to be - more light brown-orange (maybe because I am not eating veggies or other foods I used to?).
My internist, primary doc, said she thinks it could be IBS or colitis, but we're obviously waiting for further testing with GI. My anxiety level is very high and I'm overly analyzing this and that doesn't help, but it's so disconcerting. I am eating a fairly bland diet, but am trying to add more and more as being hungry made me feel worse. I just added Metamucil fiber capsules and Activa yogurt, hoping that will help.
Sorry for being so long-winded, just wanted to be as detailed as possible. When I read up on IBS or IBD, I seem to have a little of both - the primary thing I don't have is pain, which I understand is most common for IBS, correct?
Thanks for your input!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Your Advice Please - Does this sound familiar? new
      #312222 - 07/30/07 04:40 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

It's good that you are being thoroughly tested. That is very important. In the mean time, you should avoid dairy...no yogurt. That is an IBS trigger. And if you want to take fiber (which is good) I would try a different kind. Metamucil has both soluble and insoluble fiber. One with just soluble will be gentler on your tummy. Both acacia and citrucel are just soluble fiber. But there are others out there as well. Try not to let your stomach get too empty. That can cause problems. Eat small, frequent meals. Hopefully that will help a little. Be sure to read the Eating for IBS info to find out what foods are safe and what are triggers.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#312340 - 07/31/07 03:49 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

PLEASE read Heathers book "Eating for IBS." Also, I found soy yogurt at Wild Oats store that I can tolerate. (IBS-D)
Michael Mahoney's hypnosis tapes are superb. I didn't have an ounce of luck with any medical professional pertaining to IBS; boo coo tests all normal. yet had left side pain, diarrhea, gas, bloating....after following Heathers advice and listening to the tapes I'm on my 31st day of feeling "normal." Good Luck.....CMB

#312354 - 07/31/07 07:32 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I feel for you. It seems like when I have a major flare up of my IBS the same thing happens to me. It definitly is intensified with a person with IBS. I can catch the smallest tummy bug and get it two fold unlike the normal person who gets it and is done in 24-48hrs.

Now I do have some questions for you. Were you taking any antibiotics prior to the cipro and flagyl? Sounds really gross but did your D or mucousy D smell really foul kinda like a barnyard? Did they do a c-diff test?(which is a stool sample type test). I had c-diff and it sounds similiar to your symptoms however the initial days before they discovered it I had TERRIBLE abdominal pains. I'm talking toe curling!!! I can't remember if they continued but they must not have because as soon as I started on the antibiotic(Vancomycin)I felt much better. I too tried Flagyl and it worked for the duration but as soon as I stopped it, I got the mucousy D back again. Oh and that Flagyl gave me terrible thrush in my mouth. Did you get that from it?!?!?

I'm sure when you see the GI doc he will recommend a colonoscopy. I had one after my bout and it showed some inflammation which they initially thought was Ulcerative Colitis but the biopsy came back negative for it so who knows.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Just keep eating lightly and it will be back to normal real soon

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#312365 - 08/01/07 06:18 AM
sadtummy

Reged: 07/29/07

I hadn't taken any antibiotics for about 9 months, and I was tested for C Diff and all the other typical causes, and nothing showed up. There was no smell with the mucous, and only 2 days of side-stitch type pain during the last 6 weeks.

I am feeling better now, and did finally see the GI yesterday. He thinks it could definitely be UC, and so with my symptoms and father's colon cancer, he said it was a no brainer to perform a colonoscopy next week. Honestly, having just seen him and talking through my symptoms, my anxiety is already markedly decreased, and therefore my GI tract seems calmer. No mucous for 2 days, still abnormal, frequent stools, but not diarrhea. So, perhaps it is stress-related IBS. Who knows. I am so happy to be having the colonoscopy - I have been putting it off for a while and have almost an illogical fear due to my father's cancer history, so even having it scheduled is a relief. A diagnosis of any kind will at least help me move on and learn to deal with whatever this is - IBS, IBD - whatever. I really appreciate your input and sharing your experience with me. I will report back after the colonoscopy next week.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review