All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Difficulty with constipation not diarrhea
      #312083 - 07/27/07 07:04 AM
yohanna

Reged: 07/27/07

My doctor has decided I have the constipation version of IBS, she is concerned that I am taking too much Magnesium (I take no calcium due to constipating factor) I bought the Kahuna pkg and am following it scrupulously. The peppermint and fennel tea seem to make no difference, but I am drinking them anyway. As I backed off the Mag and upped the acacia symptoms increased and the constipation returned.
Any guidance?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Difficulty with constipation not diarrhea new
      #312085 - 07/27/07 07:34 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am also IBS-C, and I also take supplements. For me, a combination of calcium/magnesium has worked in addition to the acacia. I will tell you this though, if you aren't getting enough WATER, the acacia will make things worse. Don't drown yourself, but drink plenty of water throughout the day. Also, make sure you are eating plenty of insoluable fiber as well.

I find that the peppermint tea sometimes will slow things down for me. While it is great for pain (and I do use it on occasion) I don't use it for the C itself. The fennel should help relieve some of the bloat and gas - again, not the C itself.

C takes a lot of time to resolve, so be patient. Go slowly when adding supplements, and do it one at a time so you will know what is helping and what is hurting the problem. Don't give up too soon, and DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!!

Feel better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#312095 - 07/27/07 09:24 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Be sure you go VERY slowly with the acacia. I tried to jump right from my regular dose of Citrucel to that same amount of fiber in acacia once. And boy did that make things bad. Start out at a very small dose (1/4 -1/2 tsp.) and gradually increase every week or 2. And I agree, be sure to drink a LOT of water. I drink over 100 oz. every day...and I'm a small person (5' 3", petite). Also, the acacia doesn't work for everyone. I didn't think it helped me as much as Citrucel. Be sure to try a variety of fibers...but give them a chance too...try one for a month or so. If it's not doing anything, try another one. It's all about what works for you.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#312120 - 07/27/07 04:07 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You still need IF in your diet. Are you getting enough?

#312141 - 07/28/07 07:02 AM
yohanna

Thanks.. I bet I am not getting enough water. I forget. I need to think of water as a med or painkiller.,. i was going slowly on the acacia, but the C was a prob, so speeded up. I backed off, but still paying the price. The teas have no effect on my pain. Thank you guys for responding. How do we find a dr. that understands ibs-c? Their receptionists don't know. Thanks again. Yohanna

#312217 - 07/29/07 07:36 PM
miss_spiked

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Currently in Melbourne, Australia

Hello.

Its been a while since I was last on this forum - over a year infact. I used to be a IBS-D sufferer now I seem to have switched roles. Urgh. One small question - how long is too long for someone (me) not to go?

Its been nearly a week, I'm trying everything from only having liquids, eating prunes, drinking linseed tea, over the counter lax's - nothing is working. Should I go to the Dr so they can tell me what I think it is (IBS) and give me something really potent or it this a normal time frame for most IBS-C sufferers?

--------------------
Its not wrong - just different!

#312265 - 07/30/07 01:13 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree....water water water. None of the supplements will work properly if you're not drinking enough water.

And also exercise!! If you can get in a little exercise everyday that'll help get things moving as well.

#312274 - 07/30/07 03:28 PM
yohanna

3-4 days is way long enough. I bought a remedy online and can be able to go within 24 hours or so if I take massive amounts of Magnesium... Milk of Mag works for some, but I take 5 or 6 250 Mg tablets of pure Magnesium (I avoid any kind with binders) and can generally get past the blockage at most 48 hours later. {The brand I buy is Nature Made and I get it at Costco but have seen it in grocery stores and Wal Mart.} By then output is liquid. I back off after that point, If I get really stopped up, I do Fleets enemas with glycerin suppositories during the interim. With mixed results..

#312318 - 07/31/07 09:54 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I am IBS C and I found that a lot less of acacia works better for me than a lot of it -- lots and lots of water and I do take coral caclium (2:1 ratio of calcium/magnesium 2 x per day) -- you do need to make sure it has vitamin D in it too for easy absorption so the caclium does not hurt the C and the magneium can help the C.

#313640 - 08/21/07 11:43 AM
mbl4JESUS

Reged: 04/18/07
Loc: texas, usa

I haven't used the message board much but am trying to reply to your posting. You signed out God is faithful. I testify to that!! Can you respond to me to assure me that I'm doing this message board thing right?
mbl4JESUS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 702 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review