All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone use Soy formula with their babies?
      #311325 - 07/16/07 01:48 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Well...this time, it IS constipation. My breastmilk is about gone. I'm nursing her only twice a day. Doc says to go ahead and try her on soy formula. Just wondering if any of you have used it. I didn't have to with my boys. Guess my girl is truly her mother's daughter!!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone use Soy formula with their babies? new
      #311327 - 07/16/07 02:17 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Is there such a thing as soy formula? I thought babies and small children couldn't have soy because there is such a big risk that they get allergies from it. (That's just what I have heard, I don't have any kids.)

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#311328 - 07/16/07 02:21 PM
Flipada

Yes, there is soy formula. It's typically given to babies with gas, fussiness or constipation issues. It's been around for a really long time. From what I gather, it's supposed to be given to kids that show allergy symptoms to the normal milk-based formulas.

--------------------
**Lauren**

#311331 - 07/16/07 03:10 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I was one of those mom's who had to change to soy formula, 11 years ago. Found an article that is interesting about soy formula, and the article has other links listed at the bottom. However, what is a mom to do? Her baby needs nourishment!

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jun/13/soy_formula.htm

Kim

Kim123 new
      #311332 - 07/16/07 03:19 PM
Flipada

Yeah, I've read some of the articles. Mayo Clinic seems to think it's okay. I agree with some things Dr. Mercola says and on others I think he goes completely overboard. It's so hard these days to make decisions with having so much info available to us via internet and so many conflicting ideas.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Kim123 new
      #311333 - 07/16/07 03:23 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I agree with you. It is one of those tough times you need to make a choice, and hope that you did the right thing for your precious baby. Take care...

#311338 - 07/16/07 03:52 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

From what I skimmed of the article, it reminds me of all the stuff I read about how breast feeding is so much better and how bad using formula is, how much smarter breastfed children are than bottlefed, and so one. Honestly most of us (my generation) were formula fed and I think we turned out half-way ok . Anyhow, I breastfed my oldest for as long as I could. About 2 months. She was over 9 pounds at birth and I just couldn't keep up with her. Never breastfed my youngest. My oldest has the allergies, asthma, and is LD. My youngest has seasonal allergies and is gifted. I did use soy with both because they had a tough time with the other. You have to do what you have to do. When it comes down to it, just remember mommy knows best.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#311340 - 07/16/07 03:57 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I had to be on Soy formula when I was a baby. Of course that was in the 70's, I'm thiry three now. My mom said that I was very healthy and only got an occasional cold. She said it helped my digestive problems a lot. I guess I would vomit breast milk and regular formula. Like projectile (spelling)vomit.

#311345 - 07/16/07 04:33 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Not soy but Ava is on lactose free enfamil because of gassiness and fussiness. She was very gassy on my breastmilk and I was told to avoid soy products in my diet. Which I had pretty much elimanated. She does really well on this and the doctor said it doesn't mean she won't be able to drink milk when she turn 1. So we'll see. Ava still has bouts of constipation and is not as good of a pooing as her brother was. I chalk it up to being a girl!

#311424 - 07/17/07 06:45 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

I used breast milk and ONLY soy formula with all three of my boys. We had colic and reflux issues with my first two. I would not even consider using a cow milk formula on a baby with all the hormones, antibiotics, and drugs they pump into cows. My boys are robust, healthy, strong, and almost never get sick. I never even buy cow milk.

If you are interested in learning more about the beef/milk industry to help you make your decision, you may want to read a book called The Diet Revolution, by John Robbins. It is very informative and life-altering.

Good luck...I wish you the best. MeiMei

#311441 - 07/18/07 05:03 AM
Flipada

Hi. Thanks for the info. Actually some of the debate about the soy is about hormones as well. Some say that it can throw kids into early puberty etc.

Thankfully, we have a family friend that's a pediatrician. He said that she may just need some extra water. He told us to alter the mixture a bit for 3 days and see if that makes a difference. So far so good.

Thank you.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2240

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review