All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone ever quit taking Effexor XR?
      #310494 - 07/05/07 12:30 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I'm having a rough time of it quitting this stuff! I seem to recall some of you talking about it a while back but can't find the threads. There are so many that talk about ADs.

I am currently down to 37.5 mg every other day after being at 75 mg daily for almost one year. The side effects of weaning are terrible and my IBS has been aggravated by it. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! new
      #310497 - 07/05/07 01:27 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I had an AWFUL time getting off of it! I was at 225 mg per day (1.5 pills twice daily). My doctor wanted to switch me to Wellbutrin; the Effexor side effects were making me crazy (really bad C, sexual side effects, etc.). I was fine until I took my last dose of Effexor. First I went from one pill once a day to nothing (except for the additional Wellbutrin) and that made me miserable with nausea and vertigo. So I went back to just half a pill a day for a week and then stopped again. Same thing; awful nausea and vertigo. But this second time I suffered through it. After a few days of just Wellbutrin, the withdrawal still hadn't gone away, so they told me to stop the Wellbutrin cold turkey. After a few more days, the withdrawal finally went away. But I spent a good ten days barely able to get out of bed because of the vertigo. I tried everything from motion sickness meds to tranquilizers. Nothing helped; I just had to get through it.

All I can say is, I've been there! Good luck! I feel for you. But I also feel SO much better now that I'm off of everything. I'm finally IBS stable!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Thanks Lisa Marie! new
      #310798 - 07/09/07 03:46 PM
AmandaM

Thanks so much for posting! It's a comfort to know I am not alone in this withdrawal thing. I was worried that my symptoms were only due to my IBS, but I now know they are not since in addition to stomach upset and diarrhea I am also experiencing vertigo, headaches, fuzziness, disorientation and what I can only describe as "zaps" in my brain. It's truly miserable!

I am seeing my doctor on Wednesday to check on my progress. It's taking such a long time to wean off the stuff and I was only on 75 mg per day! Unfortunately I cannot cut the pills to half my dosages because Effexor XR only comes in capsules.

Did your doctor give you the Wellbutrin to help you wean off Effexor or were you just switching to a different AD?

Thanks again for your support and your input!!

Re: Thanks Lisa Marie! new
      #310847 - 07/10/07 07:24 AM
Lisa Marie

I was up to such a high dose of the effexor that my C was terrible (I was taking almost 2 tablespoons of Natural Calm every night), as were the sexual side effects. I couldn't take it anymore! SInce I hadn't been on a consistent dose for 6 months yet, she wanted to switch me to Wellbutrin. Now that I'm off of all that, I take only 1 teaspoon of NC every night!

Can you switch from the XR version to the regular version, then wean off of that? In my experience, the withdrawal isn't going to go away until you are COMPLETELY off of it. The slower you wean won't make a difference! It sucks I know, but I finally just had to stop everything and let it leave my system. Effexor has a very short half life so it leaves your system very quickly; in other words, it doesn't have a "built in" weaning process. Wellbutrin is the opposite - it has a long half life and leaves your body more slowly. it has it's own weaning process sorta built in. Does that make sense? I did a google search on "Effexor withdrawal" when I was going through it and found lots of helpful information.

Hang in there!! Let me knwo how it goes with the doctor tomorrow!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Back from the Doctor new
      #310947 - 07/11/07 12:47 PM
AmandaM

My doctor prescribed the regular version of Effexor and the plan is I should be completely off the stuff in 6 weeks. I am supposed to take 25 mg three times per day for two weeks, then twice a day for two weeks, then once a day for two weeks, then nothing. He echoed what you said about weaning and the half-life of Effexor XR being so quick. Apparently that is what causes the withdrawals because my body is suffering from a rapid serotonin decrease. Ick.

I'll keep you posted as to my status. I am not looking forward the weaning, but I am so excited to get off this stuff! I noticed I was just fatigued all the time on Effexor, I lost my sex drive, too, and god forbid if I was a few hours late on my dosage! It was just miserable and I hated that my body was so dependent on a drug. If I ever go back on an AD in the future, it will NOT be Effexor!

Thanks for the support Lisa Marie! It's nice to know I'm not alone

Re: Thanks Lisa Marie! new
      #311090 - 07/12/07 07:19 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

LOL this was a timely thread. I've heard it's miserable to get off of, and I'm on XR. Hopefully not long term. maybe you can share with me, Amanda?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Effexor weaning update new
      #311290 - 07/16/07 09:24 AM
AmandaM

Alrighty..Last Friday, I started taking Effexor (regular, not XR) at 12 mg three times a day. I didn't notice any adverse side effects from the change to regular Effexor. I accidentally skipped a dose yesterday and didn't feel any adverse effects either.

The only problem is I am pretty unstable as far as my D goes. I don't know whether to attribute that to eating too much IF this weekend or to getting off the meds.

I'll keep you posted as I go!

Re: Effexor weaning update new
      #311309 - 07/16/07 12:25 PM
Lisa Marie

It very well may be the Effexor. that stuff REALLY gave me C, and I noticed a change in this immediately when I was weaning off. I guess I would decrease your IF for awhile and see if that helps. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#311491 - 07/18/07 11:31 AM
AmandaM

I think it is the meds. I ate really safe all weekend and still have loose, crampy stools. It's nasty...especially at work! Oh well.

I am quitting coffee (again) too. I think I was able to tolerate it much better while on Effexor since it made me a little more C. Now it's just causing me mountains of grief!

Still feeling okay on the Effexor 12 mg 3x daily. More to follow later!

#311522 - 07/18/07 03:31 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I hope you'll stabilize quickly once you're off the med. How is work going? You were a law student or something like that right? Have you finished that? I remember finding you inspiring because you didn't let IBS stop you from getting what you want out of life. That's great.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#311641 - 07/20/07 09:34 AM
AmandaM

Thanks Ulrika! That's very kind of you! I am a lawyer now, have been practicing law since November. It's a lot of stress which doesn't help the IBS! But, I am learning to cope better with stress.

I hope I will stabilize off the meds, too. I can't stand the Effexor and just want to be off it! Talk to you soon!

#311648 - 07/20/07 10:17 AM
Lisa Marie

I can't tell you how much better (and more stable) I am since getting off the Effexor!! I mean, it helped tremendously with my depression issues, but sucked for my IBS.

Good luck! I suspect everything will go fine until you take that last dose of Effexor, no matter how small......

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Effexor = ew new
      #311655 - 07/20/07 11:51 AM
AmandaM

Thanks for the encouragement!

After your last dose, how long before all the brain zaps, mental fog and overall sense of malaise disappear?

I am being taken off it currently. new
      #311672 - 07/20/07 02:38 PM
_Willow

They decided after nine days i don't need it, which is awesome. I kinda knew that though.
Anyhow, it's not THAt bad, just like, heavy head feeling today. but I haven't been on it long. I'm back to 37.5.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Effexor = ew new
      #311805 - 07/23/07 04:04 PM
Lisa Marie

ten days!! but that also includes a few days at the end of wellbutrin withdrawal. it was a fun time.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

I feel after taking it and being off it a day new
      #311905 - 07/24/07 06:46 PM
_Willow

that i was NOT meant to be on ADs because i have never in my life been so tired.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ten days???!! new
      #311966 - 07/25/07 12:57 PM
AmandaM

Oh man! At least I have told my boss about my situation and when the time comes, if I have to work from home cuz I'm going batty, he'll probably be sympathetic.

Overall, my energy level has spiked back up since reducing my dose, my libido is returning, I have dropped about 5 pounds and I feel more even keel. However, my IBS is still not as stable as I was prior to weaning. I notice when I take the Effexor, it often causes a loose BM shortly thereafter even when I take it with meals.

I know certain ADs are good for D and others for C. I wonder if Effexor is better suited for C? Or I am just unstable b/c of the medication leaving my system?

Ack! I don't know! I upped my calcium dosage and am drinking herbal teas and Teecino. I am hanging in there!

Re: Ten days???!! new
      #311971 - 07/25/07 02:07 PM
Ulrika

I thought SSRI drugs in general were more suitable for C:ers and the older tricyclic type better for D:ers.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#312025 - 07/26/07 11:32 AM
AmandaM

I did some quick and dirty searches on it and I think that's a pretty accurate statement from what I can find on medical websites. I was put on Effexor primarily for anxiety, not for IBS, so my doctor probably didn't think of the IBS consequences...probably doesn't know of them either, come to think of it. Most doctors don't know all the stuff we come to learn about our bodies!

#312033 - 07/26/07 12:09 PM
Ulrika

Sometimes I am amazed how doctors can be doctors given that it seems 90% of what I ask them I know more about than them. Sad but true...

What type of lawyer are you? Do you do court work too? How is your IBS in general, I mean when you're not going through what you're going through now? How often would you get "attacks"? Is you IBS mainly anxiety/stress or diet related? I just think it's so cool that you can have a stressful job in spite of the IBS. That gives me energy and more courage to continue to do my work and get my PhD.

Hugs!

#312069 - 07/26/07 09:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Wow, I'm jealous! Effexor was definitely NOT good for my C. It made it 100 times worse! And I think I'm actually putting a little weight back on since I stopped the Effexor. I've had some mad food cravings the last few weeks... very frustrating!!

Congrats on kicking the coffee habit, too!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#312098 - 07/27/07 09:58 AM
AmandaM

I guess that's just proof that meds affect everyone differently.

I decided that I was sick of feeling awful from the meds and got my Doc's approval to start taking one 12 mg tab in the morning for a week and stop next week. I want to be done with the meds and through the worst of the withdrawal before I take my holiday to London in mid August.

So far, so good. The one pill a day hasn't made me feel awful.

Thanks for the kudos on the coffee habit! I feel so much better and am really proud I did it! It was tough.

Ulrika new
      #312116 - 07/27/07 03:31 PM
AmandaM

I do primarily family law but also some complex civil litigation and some criminal defense. I go to court regularly.

I don't know that I've ever been stable for more than six months or so, as the stress levels in my life the last few years have been quite high. Plus, I only started Heather's diet two years ago, so when my life was less stressful, years ago before starting law school, I was always having attacks from eating foods that aggravated my condition.

When I have been stable, my attacks are not frequent. Maybe one every couple of months. My IBS is mainly diet related. My stress levels are getting better now that I am getting the hang of my job. I exercise regularly (almost daily) for at least an hour, practice deep breathing techniques and try to get plenty of sleep. These things really help me function throughout my day.

I am a firm believer that if you want to do something badly enough, you'll find a way to do it. Trust me, I had fears and misgivings about my intended line of work because I know it is fast paced and high stress. However, I wouldn't be happy doing anything else at this point in my life and the stress comes and goes once you get used to the job you're in and the problems you will face. It's mostly situational stress for me now.

If you want your PhD, go for it! You'll be so glad you did.

#312451 - 08/02/07 06:59 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Is there a difference between the Effexor XR and the Effexor regular? My DH just started taking the Effexor XR for anxiety -- starting at 37.5 mg and will be working up to 75 mg by day 14. So this is what I get to look forward to when he goes off the stuff?

#312519 - 08/03/07 10:16 AM
Lisa Marie

"XR" means extended release, so you only take one pill each day rather than two of the regular kind. Amanda had to switch from the XR to the regular in order to wean off it more easily.

Everyone's different and reacts to the drugs differently. For example, my mother had NONE of the issues I had when she went off it, and usually people who are related tolerate them similarly. There's just no way to tell!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#312530 - 08/03/07 11:13 AM
AmandaM

Just like Lisa said, it all depends on the person. My doctor told me some people don't experience any trouble, but others have issues with the serotonin withdrawal. I was one of those lucky ones My aunt was on Paxil and it is supposed to rival Effexor in weaning difficulties. She had zero problems.

If it helps his anxiety, that is all that matters right now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cross that bridge of "weaning-off" when you guys come to it. It will probably be a long way off anyway. It's bad but, heck, I lived! And worked about 80 hours this week on the nastiest project I've had at work yet. The body can be pretty amazing in what it tolerates.

Good luck to your hubby! I hope the meds help him.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7512

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review