All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Ten days???!! new
      #312069 - 07/26/07 09:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Wow, I'm jealous! Effexor was definitely NOT good for my C. It made it 100 times worse! And I think I'm actually putting a little weight back on since I stopped the Effexor. I've had some mad food cravings the last few weeks... very frustrating!!

Congrats on kicking the coffee habit, too!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ten days???!! new
      #312098 - 07/27/07 09:58 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I guess that's just proof that meds affect everyone differently.

I decided that I was sick of feeling awful from the meds and got my Doc's approval to start taking one 12 mg tab in the morning for a week and stop next week. I want to be done with the meds and through the worst of the withdrawal before I take my holiday to London in mid August.

So far, so good. The one pill a day hasn't made me feel awful.

Thanks for the kudos on the coffee habit! I feel so much better and am really proud I did it! It was tough.

Ulrika new
      #312116 - 07/27/07 03:31 PM
AmandaM

I do primarily family law but also some complex civil litigation and some criminal defense. I go to court regularly.

I don't know that I've ever been stable for more than six months or so, as the stress levels in my life the last few years have been quite high. Plus, I only started Heather's diet two years ago, so when my life was less stressful, years ago before starting law school, I was always having attacks from eating foods that aggravated my condition.

When I have been stable, my attacks are not frequent. Maybe one every couple of months. My IBS is mainly diet related. My stress levels are getting better now that I am getting the hang of my job. I exercise regularly (almost daily) for at least an hour, practice deep breathing techniques and try to get plenty of sleep. These things really help me function throughout my day.

I am a firm believer that if you want to do something badly enough, you'll find a way to do it. Trust me, I had fears and misgivings about my intended line of work because I know it is fast paced and high stress. However, I wouldn't be happy doing anything else at this point in my life and the stress comes and goes once you get used to the job you're in and the problems you will face. It's mostly situational stress for me now.

If you want your PhD, go for it! You'll be so glad you did.

Re: Effexor weaning update new
      #312451 - 08/02/07 06:59 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Is there a difference between the Effexor XR and the Effexor regular? My DH just started taking the Effexor XR for anxiety -- starting at 37.5 mg and will be working up to 75 mg by day 14. So this is what I get to look forward to when he goes off the stuff?

#312519 - 08/03/07 10:16 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

"XR" means extended release, so you only take one pill each day rather than two of the regular kind. Amanda had to switch from the XR to the regular in order to wean off it more easily.

Everyone's different and reacts to the drugs differently. For example, my mother had NONE of the issues I had when she went off it, and usually people who are related tolerate them similarly. There's just no way to tell!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#312530 - 08/03/07 11:13 AM
AmandaM

Just like Lisa said, it all depends on the person. My doctor told me some people don't experience any trouble, but others have issues with the serotonin withdrawal. I was one of those lucky ones My aunt was on Paxil and it is supposed to rival Effexor in weaning difficulties. She had zero problems.

If it helps his anxiety, that is all that matters right now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cross that bridge of "weaning-off" when you guys come to it. It will probably be a long way off anyway. It's bad but, heck, I lived! And worked about 80 hours this week on the nastiest project I've had at work yet. The body can be pretty amazing in what it tolerates.

Good luck to your hubby! I hope the meds help him.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review