All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Teaching and IBS
      #310412 - 07/04/07 01:51 PM
vmars4eva

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: Illinois

I am a 21 year old male with IBS-D. I have it (sorta) under control with diet changes, ridiculous amounts of lactaid, anti-anxiety medication, and I used Michael Mahoney's magical hypnosis CDs last spring, and they seemed to have had a long-term effect. Right now, in the last couple of months, my IBS has never been better. I'm so glad.

Starting the fall, however, I am facing a potential landmine. I am going to be teaching an undergraduate speech class for my graduate assistantship, and the thought of standing in front of a classroom for a long period of time has me a little freaked out.

Strangely, my experiences in with public speaking/teaching in the past have been wonderful. I enjoyed them quite thoroughly, and I didn't even think about IBS when I was on the spot. I was too focused on the moment and enjoying it.

But I'm afraid that this string of luck may end, and I want to know how to prepare myself.

A couple of details...

I don't know yet if it will be a 50 minutes, three days a week course, or a 1 hour 20 minutes, two days a week course. If it is a 1 hour 20 minutes course, I can always have the class break once during that time, but if I were to have an emergency, a) I don't think 10 minutes would be enough time, and b) the thought of using a toilet in the same bathroom that my students would potentially use is terrifying! I couldn't think of anything more uncomfortable.

One other factor that makes me a little nervous about my IBS and this new experience is that I have a little bit of an inferiority complex about this experience, in that I'm not really that older than the students I'll be teaching, and as a fact, I'm going to be within one or two years of age with these students. So, the pressure feels like it's on for me demonstrate a certain degree of professionalism.

-vmars4eva

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Teaching and IBS new
      #310421 - 07/04/07 03:19 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Why are you taking Lactaid? People with IBS need to cut dairy completly out of their diet.

#310434 - 07/04/07 06:34 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey- is your screen name a reference to Veronica Mars? I adored that show.

I've been in your exact situation... I've taught a number of undergrad classes as an AI, starting when I was not much older than the students (though I'm a fair bit older now... sometimes 10 years older than them. Sigh). Anyway, the worst was when I taught the 400 person lecture class. It was at 8 in the morning, which is a bad time for my IBS. In general, even though I felt queasy and not so great some days I just sucked it up and did it. The first few classes were the worst, and then you get used to it and it gets easier and easier. But the first time I stood up in front of 400 people my hands were shaking too badly to clip the microphone to my shirt.

So all I can say is, it's normal to be nervous, it's probably even good (I'm sure you know that energy feeds public speaking). You'll get used to it and if you've coped before (and even thrived, it sounds like) I'm sure you'll do it again.

As for the age issue, it can be a bit of an issue establishing authority with students that age. It helps that you're male, and just remember that you are there because you have more knowledge than them, and you know better how to guide them in their learning. You are the boss.

#310444 - 07/05/07 04:06 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there!

I don't have any really useful tips for you, and I do tend to stay away from things where I am in the spotlight too much since my IBS got bad, but I am hoping that will change soon. (I don't have normal sphincter control due to a paralysis condition I had as a child, so that adds to my problem. I am hoping to get good help with that soon though and then things should be much easier for me.) On a positive note though I am a PhD student myself and I have been teaching classes in the past where I had students who where 10 - maybe 15 years older than me. I have also had to teach classes where I was literally having to learn the material 1-2 weeks before the students. I had IBS back then but it was before it really kicked in. Back then I had a few attacks every now and then. I just wanted to let you know though - I am one of those people who get really nervous before giving a presentation, but who love it once their standing there... I gave a presentation for a filled auditorium once after having a pretty bad IBS attack the same day and still not feeling very good when it was time for me to speak. I had to sneak out to the bathroom just in case, during the presentation immediately before mine. But you know what? I made it, and not only that, but I have never received as many compliments on a presentation as I did that time. So you can do it! Try to focus on the fact that you like giving presentations and talks. As long as you don't get yourself too worked up about it there is no reason why you should have more attacks while teaching than you have when you're not. Try to enjoy it.

Good luck!

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#310513 - 07/05/07 03:23 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hello and welcome!

I can't speak specifically to a college teaching situation, but there are several elementary and high school teachers who frequent these boards and make it work Monday through Friday, 8:00-3:00. It can be done!

Try doing a search for "teacher" or "teaching" with no time limits and you'll find some good advice.

Best of luck to you!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#310722 - 07/08/07 06:50 PM
vmars4eva

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: Illinois

Thanks all for sharing your teaching with IBS stories.

Chinagirl, I just want to say bravo to you on being able to do a lecture in front of 400 people at 8 a.m. in the morning! My IBS is extremely bad in the mornings, and if I had to present in front of that many people, I know I'd run into some trouble. Just reading your post gave me belly rumblings!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be OK (and it helps that I don't have much of a problem with standing in front of a class in terms of nerves and the such). But, mostly, I don't want to disappoint the generous people who gave me this wonderful assistantship opportunity, and I don't want to disappoint the students I'll be teaching. I think that's what I'm scared about the most in this.

I eliminated dairy completely from my diet for about a year or so, but then my parents started drinking Lactaid Milk and I decided to give a try. To my shock and joy, it didn't have any significant effect after about a few weeks, so I started trying other dairy items with Lactaid pills, and no noticable effect. Sometimes I thought it made things almost better because cheese has a constipating effect on me.

I've read in Heather's book about milk having other things in it that are not good for a human body, so I can see why dairy should be avoided altogether. But is it possible for someone to be OK with dairy and have IBS when they are taking Lactaid? I sure hope so, because I depend on that constipation effect of cheese to keep my IBS-D in check on some days.

Oh, and yes, my screenname is in reference to Veronica Mars, which is one of my favorite things, ever.

#310739 - 07/09/07 12:02 AM
DJProf

Reged: 06/12/07

Hey I can SO relate to the fear of an attack in your situation. I have been teaching in colleges for a number of years although my doctoral degree is in a music area where I not only am required to lecture but where I also must regularly perform in front of many in very stressful situations. For a long time, until I was finally diagnosed with IBS, I just did not eat or drink before performances - even if they were at night for fear of the consequences and I waited to eat meals until after my classes. (NOT good - I got migraines). Now that I know what the problem is, I have learned to eat smaller meals but more often and to keep something like a small bag of pretzels with me (I have an hour and a half commute) for when I begin to feel nauseated. It has helped me stop having daily attacks to be extremely careful what I eat. I finally got the courage to let some of my fellow faculty members and even some of my more trusted students know that I deal with IBS and they have been extremely encouraging and sensitive about it. Once or twice when trying to learn how to control it I had to leave for a restroom. I asked my students to look over some information and told them I would be right back. They did as I asked, were very respectful when I returned, and never have given me trouble about it even though some are aware of why I had to go out. I find that when I am open and honest with my students about this sort of situation that they understand and gain more respect because they see my human side. Sometimes it even gives me an opportunity to help one of them. By the way - I have always had non-traditional age students in my classes. No matter how old I have been I have always had someone in my classes who was much older! Still, they have come to learn what you have to offer and respect the fact that you have already learned it and are good at it. Don't worry about gaining respect. If you know your material, present it well because you are well-prepared, and dress and act professionally your students will always respect you and act accordingly. They will want to be as good as you are.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2027

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review