All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I thought I had issues before...
      #307722 - 05/21/07 11:53 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

The stress just keeps getting worse and worse... About ten years ago my dad died.. about 5 months later, I got my first cat.. A beautiful little white kitten that I named Storm. I had to take him to the er vet because I found a tooth on the floor and him in my washing machine covered in blood..

The vet said they would have to remove most of his teeth and there might be liver or kidney problems.. If it's just the teeth, it's going to cost me about a grand.. which is fine we have that kind of money in credit but the wedding is less than two weeks now, and I don't know if I'm being cruel...

I don't know if it's best to have him put down because what kind of life can he have without most of his teeth or what if there are liver and kidney issues but then again, I don't want to be cruel for putting him down when he didn't have to be and thus taking an innocent life...

I mean I know it's just a cat and these things do happen eventually but....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hits a personal note with me. new
      #307760 - 05/21/07 08:53 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

My husband and I adopted a little kitten a couple years ago. We knew she had an infection in her eye and we thought that she just needed a med, which was given to us when we adopted her. She was a feral kitten and the person we got her from saved her from the gutter.

After a couple days, it was clear that an eye infection wasn't her only problem. She didn't even have an infection , we found out.

What she did have was ear mites, a cold, ulcers in both eyes, a heart murmur, worms, and FIV. She almost died. The vets were sure she'd at least lose one of her eyes because the ulcer was so bad in one of them.

We put months of meds several times a day, weekly, biweekly, and then finally monthly vet visits, blood work, exams, injections, and $1500.00 into saving her.

She's two years old and you'd never know that anything was ever wrong with her. She didn't lose her eye and you can't even see a scar anymore.

I don't mean to sound insulting or like I am implying anything, but to me, life is life, whether it belongs to a human, a cat, or any other animal.

That being said, I also don't think that an animal should needlessly be in pain. If an animal is going to live the rest of their life in pain, with no relief, than sometimes euthanasia is the right decision.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: I thought I had issues before... new
      #307776 - 05/22/07 06:58 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

One of my cats (the one you see to the left!) is allergic to the tartar on his teeth. He's had most of his teeth out now, and you can't really tell unless he tries to nip you and you just get slobbered on. He prefers dry food to wet, even.

So a cat without teeth can get along just the same as a cat with teeth. I think you probably need to learn more from the vet about your kitty's problems to determine their severity.

--AC, with toothless feline

Re: I thought I had issues before... new
      #307806 - 05/22/07 03:40 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if its just the teeth- I'd do it, if its more serious, don't prolong his/her pain... I felt that Bill's mom was very wrong in keeping Motley alive for 3 years on forcefed protein paste when he could hardly mom- he was on kidney meds, liver meds and digitalis at the end!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Update from the Vet new
      #307818 - 05/22/07 05:30 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

No problem.. Not offended.. and I completly understand.. that was the whole problem I was going through.. He had his surgery today...They pulled 5-6 teeth, he will be on antibiotics for 10 days (the last day of pills will be the day right before the wedding..) and in the end.. it ended up costing less than they were expecting.. they told me a grand.. in the end.. it was closer to 600.. It would have been much worse if the infection managed to get to his liver and kidneys but it didn't.. I get to pick him up tomorrow... still bad timeing but at least I don't have to make the hard decision... And now my fiance knows how to deal with me when the time does come for one of the cats..

Re: Update from the Vet new
      #307821 - 05/22/07 05:39 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Missed your post yesterday, I wasn't online.
Glad to hear your kitty is alright. My MIL has a cat that they pulled the fangs out of 8 years ago or so and she is still roaming around, mewing her heart out for attention. She is now 16 or 17. The vet 8 years ago didn't expect her to last without her fangs, but she is just fine. And she eats dry food too, without a problem. Only side effect of having her teeth out, she now drools when you pet her and she is purring!

Hope your kitty mends well! Good luck for the final countdown to the wedding!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Update from the Vet new
      #307828 - 05/22/07 06:07 PM
hohoyumyum

I'm happy to hear that your kitty is feeling better, and that the hole in your wallet is smaller than expected.

--------------------

Re: Hits a personal note with me. new
      #308241 - 05/31/07 12:56 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I HAD to chime in here.

Six months after we adopted our second kitty, we discovered she had asthma. Who knew cats could get asthma?? Well, two years, a few thousand dollars, and several ER visits later, she is one healthy, spunky orange tabby. She gets inhaled meds twice daily, just like a human! The meds (flovent) are pricey, but we order them from an international pharmacy to save a TON of money.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I found a great online community of fellow owners of feline asthmatics, and it's made all the difference! There was really only one option for us; she's one of our "kids", and she needed medical care. Fortunately for us, money was no object.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Hits a personal note with me. new
      #308275 - 05/31/07 05:23 PM
hohoyumyum

Quote:

Fortunately for us, money was no object.

You are lucky. We had to open a credit card and spend months paying off our kitties bills at the same time that we were paying off all my med/dental bills. But like you, we weren't entertaining any other options.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review