All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chemotherapy and IBS
      #307314 - 05/15/07 08:45 AM
lariscy1

Reged: 11/02/06
Loc: Georgia

I am a 61 year old retired teacher. I retired last year. I believe in wellness checks and in January when I went for my annual mamogram breast cancer was found.. There was no lump but cancer was found using digital mammagraphy and ultrasound. I elected to have my right breast removed even though the area was less than one centimeter. The grade, and if you have had cancer you will know what this means, was 3plus which is the most invasive and aggresive one can have. None had spread to any of my nodes and so I went home and recovered from the surgery. The more I researched and talked with my doctors, I elected to have chemotherapy. I am taking Taxol and Herceptin. I have only 4 more Taxol treatments and a year of Herceptin. I have been blessed with a wonderful family and devoted friends; however, I have suffered with IBS for years. I take Lotonex, Immodium and attempt to watch my diet. IBS is one reason I retired. I use Heather's products off and on and I find this to be the best site for IBS. I have no miracles to report. With chemo now I have diarea everyday, all day, off and on. My question is, has anyone had chemotherapy and IBS before the chemo, and if so have you found anything to help you? I am locked at home, unable to leave a close bathroom. I have 4 more Taxol treatments and hopefully the constant side effects will abate. Heather's peppermint pills and pepperment tea have helped me. I did not notice a big difference with the Acacia powder. Is there anyone who can offer advice? signed sugar Baby chemotherapy and IBS

Edited by lariscy1 (05/15/07 08:48 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chemotherapy and IBS new
      #307316 - 05/15/07 08:55 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I can't help on the chemo end of things but Calcium is known to help with the IBS-D. The chemo could be throwing off your entire system so much that nothing will work till your done with it. But anything is worth a try. Find out if it kills off all the good bacteria in the gut like antibiotics do. If it does than the acacia and probiotics could help some.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Re: Chemotherapy and IBS new
      #307319 - 05/15/07 09:02 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

How big a dose of acacia did you work up to? I think that if you're not having any bad side effects from it, you might want to work on getting up to 2-3 tablespoons a day to see if that helps.

It sounds like a tough row to hoe, but hopefully things will start to abate as the chemo ends. If you don't get much response here, try the IBS Diet board, which gets a little more traffic. I'm sure there's other folks who have gone through chemo around...

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review