All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
I haven't been here in FOREVER.....I need some support....going through a rough time....
      #306821 - 05/08/07 02:57 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

It's been a long time since I last visited. I've missed all my friends here. Hope everyone is doing well.

I had to have a hysterectomy back in September and I did great for the first three months after surgery. I had absolutely NO IBS-D and NO anxiety. However, after three months of feeling great, the IBS-D and anxiety slowly started coming back. I've been battling getting the hormones balanced, and trying to figure out what will help my IBS-D and anxiety. I have an appointment with my gastroenterologist this Thursday to see what he suggests. I know the visit will go well, but I'm still nervous about it. My husband and I are planning an Oregon Coast road trip in July and am hoping to feel good by then so that I don't have to constantly keep my eyes open for a bathroom and can relax. I hope there is something they can prescribe that will help. Imodium helps, but I still have the urgency in the mornings. As for the anxiety, I had been on Effexor before surgery and was able to successfully get off of it after surgery....I don't want to go back on it again...so am trying to deal with the anxiety without medication. So frustrating.....Thanks for listening.... {{{hugs}}}}

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I haven't been here in FOREVER.....I need some support....going through a rough time.... new
      #306830 - 05/08/07 03:54 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I don't remember seeing you around here before so I guess this means I am new to you. Anyway, I don't have any real advice to give you unfortunately, but I just want you to know I feel for you. Hope someone else here has some good advice and support to offer you.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: I haven't been here in FOREVER.....I need some support....going through a rough time.... new
      #306833 - 05/08/07 04:09 PM
Nugget

thank you....I appreciate the support....

Supplements? new
      #306848 - 05/08/07 07:11 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Are you taking acacia or anything else?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Supplements? new
      #306853 - 05/08/07 08:25 PM
Nugget

no...I'm not taking supplements....not sure where to start?

#306859 - 05/09/07 04:55 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hello! I may be a new face to you as well, but welcome back.

Have you tried hypnosis? It can help both with your D and with your anxiety.

Wishing you the best of luck and happy tummy thoughts.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#306864 - 05/09/07 07:43 AM
Nugget

no I haven't tried that. Thanks for the suggestion. A gal I work with told me that Magnesium helps anxiety. Have you heard that?

Re: Weclome back! new
      #306866 - 05/09/07 07:54 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Awww so sorry you are having a rough time. I can relate. Do you think that because you had your hysterectomy that you were focused so much on that and recovering that your IBS and Anxiety were kinda on the "back burner". I tend to do that. If I'm focused on another issue of my body (like when I had mono or the kidney stone) I had next to nothing IBS issues and my anxiety was kinda gone. Then as soon as it straightens out, BAM all comes back! Perhaps it is your hormones too since having the hysterectomy. Doc's should be able to get them straightened out with some kind of hormonal therapy.

I too battle anxiety and don't take meds for it. I'm kind of like you, I don't want to have to take anything but if it's just temporary to get you back on track then maybe you should go back on it for just a little while. I feel for you though because I know it is frustrating. My anxiety comes and goes and I get so mad when it comes. I saw a psychologist years ago and he did teach me some techniques(coginitive therapy). I however, only have general axiety.I'm not sure how severe yours is but I hope that you'll be able to keep battling it without the meds but if be it, and you have to start up the meds again, don't beat yourself up about it. Just think of it being a temporary thing HOpe you are feeling better real soon!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#306869 - 05/09/07 08:11 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Hi! Yes, I've heard that magnesium can help you to relax. A lot of the folks on these boards use a supplement called Natural Calm which is magnesium based. I can't tell you much about it as I live in the UK and it's not available over here. But I use magnesium citrate tablets at night to help me to relax and also it helps with C. I wouldn't recommend it for someone with D, though.

Re: Weclome back! new
      #306881 - 05/09/07 09:49 AM
Nugget

Hi Lisa....

thanks for the input....I'd never thought about it that I may have just been so focused on getting well after surgery that I didn't have time to worry about my IBS-D and anxiety. Maybe that's what happened. I think, too, that some of it is hormonal. I am currently trying to get everything balanced with HRT. I am going the bioidentical route with creams from a compounding pharmacy. Have been using them for about a month and a half. I think I'm seeing slow improvement in some areas. It's been a long, frustrating road and learning experience. It all happened so fast....one week I found out I had a growth the size of a tennis ball inside me and the next week I was having a hysterectomy. Thankfully there was no cancer.

My anxiety is just general....not as bad as what some people go through, but still uncomfortable. What are some of the techniques you use? I have often thought that I will probably end up back on meds for it, but I hate to have to do that....am so in hopes that I can control it with out meds. Ya know?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review