All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
michele
      #305608 - 04/21/07 07:08 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hi Michele,

I was just thinking of you and wondered it you had seen, read or listened to "The Secret". You can get it as a book a dvd or download it from Audible(thats what I did and just listen to it on my IPOD). It's great and I really think you would like it.

Hope your doing good!

Take care,

Steph

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: michele new
      #305685 - 04/23/07 05:45 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I've heard about this, a natural healer I went to suggested I see this. What's it all about?

--------------------
~jules

#305696 - 04/23/07 07:54 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I have debated about getting it too. I'm still not sure how I feel about it...about how it relates to my religious views. I saw it on Oprah. I might try it. It basically says there is a law of attraction, and that you attract things that are like you/things you focus on. If you focus on positive things, you will have positive things happen. If you dwell on negative things, then bad things will happen. That's kind of the basic idea, but I don't know all the details.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#305709 - 04/23/07 10:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I saw some of the girls on my ra support board were talking about the book. I haven't really checked into it. Just too darn tired and really low on money, the medical treatments are so expensive and my insurance premium just increased to almost $1,000 a month. Has anyone hear read the book?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#305726 - 04/23/07 01:11 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

www.thesecrettv.com you can check out their website.

--------------------

#305732 - 04/23/07 02:11 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I haven't read it but did see it on Oprah. It's not a new idea...just redone. But a lot of the concepts have been proven to work. You've gotta get things right in your brain for your life to work for you. Simple idea...not so simple implementing it into your life. It's usually a pretty good thing though.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#305791 - 04/24/07 07:20 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

michele:

Have you ever heard of EFT? Emotional Freedom Technique? www.emofree.com. You should check it out. It's free if you use the info on the Web site.

I've heard mixed reviews on the movie and the book (on iTunes). I know you could watch it free somewhere on the internet.

--------------------
~jules

The Secret new
      #305973 - 04/26/07 05:51 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have The Secret DVD. It repackages the Power of Positive Thinking by comparing it to the physical law of attraction (which states if you add up the masses of you and the object you want to attract to you, then divide it by the added distances between you two, squared, you'll get the time it takes for the two objects to touch. The course "concludes," by "thinking positively" you'll attract your target (object of desire) faster than by not thinking of it at all.

And merely thinking negatively will push something desirably away.

The idea is aimed at no one who has ever attempted college or taken Physics 100. If you've already ditched other Positive Thinking books, this one isn't right for you either.

If this is your favorite self-help book, no harsh intended. I just wish good luck to anyone willing to spend money on this. I suggest instead borrowing the DVD from a true believer to get maximum use out of this product.

~nelly~ *thinking positively *

Positive thinking new
      #305992 - 04/26/07 10:39 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I think it works very well for some things. You certainly can have an effect on yourself. But an effect on other people? That only goes so far. People in my life have done things to me that I DIDN'T bring on myself. It thinks it's one of things that you have to put faith in if you are going to use it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Positive thinking new
      #305997 - 04/27/07 04:36 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I agree. Positive thinking is of course better than negative thinking... But I typically find all these techniques for getting what you want out of life feels like something that would maybe help people with a generally negative outlook on things, but who don't really have any big problems in their lives (at least not problems they can't get away from). For people who have health issues or other more serious problems that can't just be fixed over night, I think these things aren't going to help much. I just feel like it's the same idea over and over again with maybe a slight modification just so someone can make money from it...

I think something like cognitive behavior therapy is the best idea really. Then you get something that has been developed by serious and professional people and that is basically designed to help you cope with situations in your life and to redesign your thought patterns. Not just something with an "IT-factor" right now that might be gone in a few months.

Just my humble opinion.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#306009 - 04/27/07 07:37 AM
michele

I have no doubt that positive thinking can help ones view on life. However, I would like to see the authors of these types of programs suffer debilitating pain for prolongs periods of time and see what sort of outlook they have! No, I am not wishing pain on anyone and as I said, thinking positive does help, but only to a point. You can not think yourself well from a physical disease and being in such severe pain for so long tends to make positive thoughts a tad bit harder to muster up!

I will still checkout the book. As soon as I am up to it, I want to make a t5rip to the bookstore anyways. I do have several self help sort of cds I listen to.

I appreciate the suggestion and mean no offense. I know its not the same but it gets frustrating after a while when people keep saying, oh, you just need to eat mud for a week, or exercise and lose weight or rub this miracle ointment all over yourself or stand on your head and drink water. All fine and dandy but at the end of the day, my immune system is still rotting my body from the inside out.

Sorry, I guess this is very negative but I went down another .5mg on the prednisone and really just wish someone would shot me and get it over with. The physical therapy for the muscle con strictures I am going through is extremely painful, I actually hyperventilated and passed out from the pain Wednesday afternoon, my hips are so swollen from it, my fat pants are even tight. I had to sleep in the recliner because I can't even lay day.

They have started me on Oxycontin slow release and an immediate release pill for the pain. I got another toradol shot yesterday and I am covered in lidoderm pain patches. And, I still hurt.

I am tempted to just stop the prednisone cold turkey if each time I drop its going to be like this. I know that would probably shut down my kidneys and put me in the hospital but man, just not sure how much more of this I can endure. I dropped just half a milligram this time instead of a full milligram thinking it might be easier but, I was wrong. I am so out of spoons.

Hmm, guess I got a bit off topic there. Sorry. Been a really rough week. Will and I are still having issues, money is really tight, I hurt. There is so much I want to do, like clean my house and weed the garden but I doubt I will even get out of bed this weekend. Argh!

Phew, that feels a bit better to at least get all that negativity out! I have not said one word about my health to Will this week and its really hard to deal with this by myself.

--------------------

Oh Michele... new
      #306014 - 04/27/07 08:57 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

(That seems to be my standard subject when I reply to your posts unfortunately. )

I'm sorry to hear you're still having such a tough time. It sucks. It really does. Over the last couple of months I have started to get to know a woman here in Sweden who has a lot of health issues from inflammatory bowel disease and she has had so much surgery and it's got to the point where she has taken so much meds that her body has become really sensitive so now the only med she can be on is penicillin. And even with that she has to change the type she is taking every few weeks. She is having a really tough time with it. I bet the two of you would have a lot to talk about...

Sending you lots of hugs and letting you know you're in my prayers.

Hugs,

Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Thanks Ulrika! nt new
      #306023 - 04/27/07 10:17 AM
michele

--------------------

Eat more fist new
      #306032 - 04/27/07 02:47 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Quote:

"...it gets frustrating after a while when people keep saying, oh, you just need to eat mud for a week, or exercise and lose weight or rub this miracle ointment all over yourself or stand on your head and drink water."

!!! ROFL and crying at the same time. I know so how you feel. The latest person to give me this kind of sage advice as my pharmacist, whom I'm convinced studied in some sort of supermax prison to get her degree. *sigh*

Sorry, it was my birthday this week and I topped off a really bad week of no candles or thoughtful presents with a long, painful appt at the dentist this morning, starting with a 4 day toothache and resulting with me $1K lighter in the bank account and "emergency gum surgery" scheduled for next week.

And if I hear "eat more fiber" one more time, I swear I'm going to take someone's eyeballs out with a dirty spoon.

Sometimes I just want to never talk with an outside person again, just sequester myself in the warm security of the boards. Pooh.

~nelly~

Re: Eat more fist new
      #306033 - 04/27/07 02:51 PM
hohoyumyum

Quote:

And if I hear "eat more fiber" one more time, I swear I'm going to take someone's eyeballs out with a dirty spoon.

I always go w/ "stick a pencil in your eye" but this is a good one, too.

--------------------

Michele new
      #306034 - 04/27/07 02:53 PM
hohoyumyum

This just sucks a**! I am so mad for you. I wish you could feel better. Big hugs comin' your way.

--------------------

#306039 - 04/27/07 03:14 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Let it all out, Michele!! I wish I could do more than just read your posts. Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Thread on the Secret new
      #306050 - 04/27/07 05:37 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

If you do a search, you will find a thread on the EFI board that I started about the book, curious to hear what others thought and how it may pertain to IBS/health problems. Sand made some good points about those types of theories. It comes down to SINCERE positive thinking when you truly believe (as in the hypno I guess...retracking your thought patterns) but NOT blaming yourself for your health problems or shortcomings. Read the thread...you'll see what I mean. I have the book only and it was intriguing at first but then I stopped after about 3/4 through b/c I kindof got the jist (sp?). HTH.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re:Happy Birthday Nelly?! new
      #306192 - 04/30/07 09:52 AM
michele

I know its not the same but late is better than never? Sorry everyone spaced your b-day. The dentist sucks even worse, I hate going their period but this sounds like a pretty big and expensive deal! Ack. Hope you have a xanax or two around to take before you go.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4237

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review